Training Points

#1JuinjutsuPosted 10/23/2009 1:26:33 AM

Okay, so this is the biggest problem I've had so far in the game. Training points I've been lurking around the forums and have read a few threads, but I'm still unsure of a few things for example, is the max for training points 68 if you use 5TP each time? is there no way to reset the points? how are we suppose to know what training points are meant for what digimon? I mean in the beginning in the Digimon Lab they did explain somewhat where the skill points should go, but not well enough. I'm also curious about how the elemental attributes work in this game as well.

#2HalfMillenniumPosted 10/23/2009 1:37:45 AM
The recommendations given at the Digimon Lab are to acquire specific Digivolutions. Once they're spent, you need to use levels or TP Chips to replenish them.
#3Med_JaiPosted 10/23/2009 6:25:34 AM
The max TP points you can get is 99.
---
Maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.
#4Juinjutsu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2009 8:54:56 AM

HalfMillennium posted...
The recommendations given at the Digimon Lab are to acquire specific Digivolutions. Once they're spent, you need to use levels or TP Chips to replenish them.

oh really? so they're just to get specific digivolutions? i thought some of them were useful to some digimon. like for example renamon and spirit since she uses magic attacks most of the time.

Med Jai posted...
The max TP points you can get is 99.

I mean by the time you pass the game. I'm not sure what level your digimon are at that point though.

#5TooEducatedPosted 10/23/2009 2:10:33 PM
I don't quite understand your question, but I think this might help.

Training Points have two main functions in the game, to help you gain alternate digivolutions and to help you survive combat in the game.

The following guide provides examples of how adjusting stats can gain you alternative digivolutions. See sections 4.0, 5.0, and 10.0 specifically:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/562323/17462

Using Training Points to adjust stats also makes combat easier. The base stats of strength, defense, wisdom, spirit, and speed all directly improve a digimon's combat abilities. Strength improves a digimon's physical attack, while defense makes a digimon more resistant to physical attacks. Spirit and Wisdom affect magic power and magic defense respectively. Speed increases the possibility you will get two attacks in a row and may effect your ability to dodge physical attacks.

The elemental attributes, such as fire and water. increase a digimon's resistance to techs of that element. For example, Dolphmon's "Divine Rain" tech will do less damage to a digimon with higher water resistance. Training a few resistances also give added benefits. For example, training fire resistance will provide a small boost to a digimon's maximum MP.

Finally, there is no way to redistribute points once they are spent. However you can gain almost unlimited training points throughout the course of the game. You gain 5 TP on every level up, and can win TP Chips from certain wild digimon which will provide you will extra TP when used.

Hope this helps and wasn't just an off topic ramble. :)

---
Founding Member of Faustian's Anonymous
#6Juinjutsu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2009 4:48:03 PM

TooEducated posted...
I don't quite understand your question, but I think this might help.

Training Points have two main functions in the game, to help you gain alternate digivolutions and to help you survive combat in the game.

The following guide provides examples of how adjusting stats can gain you alternative digivolutions. See sections 4.0, 5.0, and 10.0 specifically:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/562323/17462

Using Training Points to adjust stats also makes combat easier. The base stats of strength, defense, wisdom, spirit, and speed all directly improve a digimon's combat abilities. Strength improves a digimon's physical attack, while defense makes a digimon more resistant to physical attacks. Spirit and Wisdom affect magic power and magic defense respectively. Speed increases the possibility you will get two attacks in a row and may effect your ability to dodge physical attacks.

The elemental attributes, such as fire and water. increase a digimon's resistance to techs of that element. For example, Dolphmon's "Divine Rain" tech will do less damage to a digimon with higher water resistance. Training a few resistances also give added benefits. For example, training fire resistance will provide a small boost to a digimon's maximum MP.

Finally, there is no way to redistribute points once they are spent. However you can gain almost unlimited training points throughout the course of the game. You gain 5 TP on every level up, and can win TP Chips from certain wild digimon which will provide you will extra TP when used.

Hope this helps and wasn't just an off topic ramble. :)

---

Sorry, I wasn't really sure how to phrase these questions, but you did help clear somethings, although I still have a few questions like what would be the best stats to raise for every digimon for combat, not digivolving. like for example renamon would be spirit because she seems to use mostly magical attacks and what else? and how can you tell which attacks are physical and which are not? like patamon's hand of fate I can't tell if it's physical or not, also is there any stat that raises HP? what does defense do exactly?

I apologize about the elemental attribute thing I meant for combat not for tolerance like water beats fire and such.

Oh okay, but I meant like when you beat the game you're most likely not at 99 unless you actually spent the time training to get there, so my question for that was how many training points do you obtain by the time you beat the game which from what i heard is usually about 40 or 40ish the level that is. Not the training points.

You weren't off topic at all. Thank for your help.

#7TooEducatedPosted 10/23/2009 6:51:30 PM
Let me see if I can answer your questions in order:

1) It's a little difficult to give general advice as to how to raise a digimon's stats. The stats you choose to raise will partly depend on what digimon you want to have access to later in the game. For example, if you want a Phoenixmon, you would focus less on strength than if you wanted a WarGreymon. The only advice I can give that would work in any circumstance would be to train Speed. If you don't the wild digimon will soon be getting two attacks to your one and defeat you easily.

2) In order to determine whether a tech is magical or physical, look at the little symbol to the left of the tech name. This symbol will be visible if you are in combat and select the Technique command.

Techniques with a red triangle in front of them are based on strength. Those with a blue triangle are based on spirit and healing techs are based on wisdom.
-Quoting ChaosBeelzemon from the thread found at http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=562323&topic=48929975

As far as I'm aware, the techs based on strength are physical and the techs based on spirit are magical.

3) HP growth is usually independent of stats, but machine tolerance training provides a small boost to HP.

4) Defense will reduce the amount of damage you take when a wild digimon attacks physically (i.e., does not use a technique).

5) Assuming that you don't use any TP chips to provide extra Training Points, you will always gain 5 TP per level up. If the digimon in question is level forty at the end of the game, he will have accumulated (40 X 5) or 200 TP.

Hope this helps.

---
#8TooEducatedPosted 10/23/2009 6:53:40 PM
Sorry about the double post, but I just realized that my math was slightly off. Digimon start at level one, not level zero, so you should have accumulated 195 TP if the digimon was level 40 at the end of the game.
---
#9Juinjutsu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2009 7:14:28 PM

TooEducated posted...
Let me see if I can answer your questions in order:

1) It's a little difficult to give general advice as to how to raise a digimon's stats. The stats you choose to raise will partly depend on what digimon you want to have access to later in the game. For example, if you want a Phoenixmon, you would focus less on strength than if you wanted a WarGreymon. The only advice I can give that would work in any circumstance would be to train Speed. If you don't the wild digimon will soon be getting two attacks to your one and defeat you easily.

2) In order to determine whether a tech is magical or physical, look at the little symbol to the left of the tech name. This symbol will be visible if you are in combat and select the Technique command.

Techniques with a red triangle in front of them are based on strength. Those with a blue triangle are based on spirit and healing techs are based on wisdom.
-Quoting ChaosBeelzemon from the thread found at http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=562323&topic=48929975

As far as I'm aware, the techs based on strength are physical and the techs based on spirit are magical.

3) HP growth is usually independent of stats, but machine tolerance training provides a small boost to HP.

4) Defense will reduce the amount of damage you take when a wild digimon attacks physically (i.e., does not use a technique).

5) Assuming that you don't use any TP chips to provide extra Training Points, you will always gain 5 TP per level up. If the digimon in question is level forty at the end of the game, he will have accumulated (40 X 5) or 200 TP.

Hope this helps.

---

Hm, the first seems a bit tough to determine because I'm not really sure which stats are needed on which although, I am getting a better idea of what's needed, but I have heard a lot of things about the whole speed being the most important stat.

Oh, thanks. I have been wondering what those symbols meant for a while.

Do you know what elements beat what element by any chance? Also, is it worth getting Agumon's dark digivolutions? Like wasting the training points on it? and if so you don't lose the chance of getting metal greymon and wargreymon, right?

#10TooEducatedPosted 10/23/2009 9:28:49 PM
1) It's a little difficult to categorize digimon as either magical or physical. There are digimon that rely more on physical attacks than magical attacks and vice versa, but generally the differences are slim. Don't forget that the gym is just one way of affecting stats. Most equipment raises either strength or defense, and some can raise spirit or wisdom too.

Generally I try to figure out what role each digimon is going to perform in my party (main tank, healer, etc) and then tailor their training and equipment to match the role. While some digimon are inherently better at some roles than others, it usually isn't enough to affect the game. If you really want Patamon to be your main tank, have him spend time at the gym to unlock the Greymon or Kotemon lines. If you outfit him properly he should do well enough even if he starts out as one of the weaker attackers.

2) I know a few, but I'm sure there are some I don't know. The ones I take advantage of are:
-Ice versus dinosaurs and insects
-Electric attacks against Machines
-Electric attacks against swimming digimon

3) Definitely consider getting Agumon's dark evolutions. His standard digivolutions will come at predetermined levels regardless of stats. Agumon's base darkness tolerance is high enough that it should cost a relatively small amount of TP to reach the prerequisite. Using his dark digivolutions can get you a mega level digimon very quickly.
---