This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where could I get level 5 chocobos?

#1timo4142Posted 11/10/2012 7:48:02 PM
I need to find some to open up the Fiend Colony and the Ruin Depths? The only highest level I got is level 4 out of 5? Anyone figured out a place to catch a level 5 one?
#2demonguardianPosted 11/11/2012 5:22:41 AM
Which chapter are you in? I tend to catch chocobos with better potential in the last chapter, though I don't know if that's really a limiting factor...

Also, which type of chocobo are you looking for? If you're only trying to unlock those dungeons, bold ones are good enough, mostly found in Kilika Woods.

I don't think there's anything you can do to improve your odds of getting a lvl 5, it's probably just a matter of luck. IIRC, usually I have to capture 20~30 for 4 or 5 which can get to lvl 5.
#3falconesquePosted 11/11/2012 8:52:03 AM
Waiting until Chapter 5 is the most likely hedge you get. Split Infinity's Chocobo Ranch Guide includes a handy table showing the percentages per demeanor and area (search key: G0611).

It's a crapshoot. Fill up and go poll the birds in the stables to see their maximum level. (In earlier chapters, you could use save-raise-reset test cycles.) Release any that won't measure up and go harvest another batch.

If you're getting crap, reset your game or console to shuffle the odds. Worth a shot with anything that even remotely seems random rule o' thumb with any Square game, for that matter.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4timo4142(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 2:42:45 PM
demonguardian posted...
Which chapter are you in? I tend to catch chocobos with better potential in the last chapter, though I don't know if that's really a limiting factor...

Also, which type of chocobo are you looking for? If you're only trying to unlock those dungeons, bold ones are good enough, mostly found in Kilika Woods.

I don't think there's anything you can do to improve your odds of getting a lvl 5, it's probably just a matter of luck. IIRC, usually I have to capture 20~30 for 4 or 5 which can get to lvl 5.

Currently in chapter 5 with 96% now. I sent a bold one out already and have yet to go ahead and return now and it was a level 4.
#5falconesquePosted 11/12/2012 7:51:37 AM
Just keep sending chocobos. Needn't be a Lv.5 bird to find the fiend colony. Last time, I'd sent a Lv.4 bird and it found it after a couple of tries. Save before you check on its return, then reset until the dungeon is found. It's really that random.

Also sent a Lv.3 timid to Bikanel at the end of Ch.3 last time and that was plenty to open up the Central dig site, even before returning to Clasko. (And then I reset until that bird returned okay; running away is not a given.)

Now, the chocobo dungeon itself is another matter. Repeated random attempts can heighten the frustration, so it might be best to forget whatever you've tried and take it methodically. Gather four birds with Lv.5 potential, and dispatch the group at Lv.1 to Calm Lands. When they return, level all four at once, but only once. Feed them to full health, then send them again. Repeat, for all five levels.

Temper doesn't matter, BTW. Last time for Calm Lands I used a timid, a normal, and two bolds, with four Lv.4-5 birds on reserve.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank