This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

any games similar to this?

#1Feanor23Posted 11/12/2012 11:17:12 AM
I remember really liking the combat gameplay in FFX-2. Are there any non-FF RPG games with similar combat that I may not have played? Preferably PS3 or PSP games.

The reason I say non-FF is b/c I've played them all (except XIII-2).
---
Wii RB2 FC: 2219 8215 7294
#2rickets987Posted 11/12/2012 7:39:48 PM
Just the atb system in general? Like FF7/8 too?

Chrono Trigger! Of course you've played that, too. It's a shame that more games don't use this kind of battle system, even if it's not perfect.
#3falconesquePosted 11/13/2012 8:02:00 AM
Find a fresh copy and play FFX-2 again. It's still a fun game, and if it's been years it'll be as if for the first time.

Try Kingdom Hearts also for PS2. The original, not the follow-on titles, not first at least. Upscales nicely I hear, and its age falls just before FFX-2 so some sensibilities seem familiar if far from duplicating the gameplay.

Only 36 titles listed for the same PS3 category, BTW. Take a look at their posted FAQs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/list-71

What you found particularly enjoyable in FFX-2 might help others make better suggestions. This question is asked fairly regular on other Final Fantasy boards as well, so paging back through old topics can be worth your while.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4rickets987Posted 11/13/2012 5:59:23 PM
Kingdom Hearts' "combat gameplay" is very different from x-2's
#5falconesquePosted 11/14/2012 8:25:17 AM
Oddly enough, KH2 fanatics often warm to FFX-2. Weird but true. Not where I'd suggest anyone start with that series, of course.

But what strikes me as most similar with FFX-2 is KH's in-context combat, within the environment rather than on a separate battlefield. And the pacing, especially compared to FFX-2's Active mode. The TC should get a feel for whether it's a hit or a miss within a handful of hours.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#6drclaeysPosted 11/14/2012 9:11:51 AM
Friends,

So do you have a working ps2? are you looking for ps2 games.? is your ps3 backwards compat?

There are many good games ont he ps2, and they are usually cheap too. But if you are looking for ps3 and psp games, I will not suggest them.

I can not think of any games on the ps3 that are like x-2. Well except for the other FF games. There is a fighter game. Trinity souls of zill. thats an ok game. Should be cheap. Might want to look into that.

Enjoy.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#7M_InfernumPosted 11/15/2012 4:01:13 PM
You could check out the Star Ocean series. "Star Ocean: Til the end of Time" is probably your best bet, but it's for PS2. Excellent game with plenty of post-game content, and the battle system is very similar to FFX-2. You don't have multiple classes, but there are a decent range of characters that are very unique and customizable through the use of different items.

The main difference in the battles are:
1) You only control one character, the other two are on auto(but you can change their behavior in combat). You can also switch between the three characters whenever you wish.
2) You can move freely around the battlefield, and attack at your leisure.

If you haven't played this game, and are able to, do it. It's fantastic, and I highly doubt that you'll be disappointed. Plus, there are 4 difficulties. So, plenty of replay value. Oh, and the invention system, it's very addicting.
---
My artwork: http://m-infernum.deviantart.com/
#8Feanor23(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 4:18:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have a PS2, but that baby hasn't been fired up in 5+ years, it would probably catch on fire if I tried... really wish Sony wasn't so douchey about backwards compatibility. I think I'm going to give the PS3 Star Ocean a shot, I recently played the remake of the first one on PSP and it was pretty fun.
---
Wii RB2 FC: 2219 8215 7294
#9Soul Of The DarknessPosted 11/15/2012 6:50:49 PM
the ps2 emulator actually works decently

IMO, if u have the console and the game you shouldn't feel any personal reason for not using it
#10rickets987Posted 11/15/2012 7:10:35 PM
Star Ocean: the Second Story on the PS1 was pretty fun, with some flaws. They remade it on the PSP as well with improved(?) voice acting and such, but I haven't tried it.