This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fiend colony (Maybe spoiler)

#1timo4142Posted 11/14/2012 6:50:42 PM
So this is the first time I found it, thanks to sending a level 4 timid chocobo to the highroad after getting ragnarok. Are the rewards worth getting here? If so, what are the rewards? Are there any boss battles here? Is it worth going through blowing everything up and having a lure bracer playing the "777" on the random reels to get gil and items?
#2TopperCopPosted 11/14/2012 11:40:14 PM
You get one copy of each of the six Tome accessories, which cuts prep time of those six respective ability groups by 40%. IMHO they are horrible waste of accessory slots.

Enemies inside only drop those bombs that you need to blow up walls. Just beat the boss and get the GG in your first playthrough. Skip this in all subsequent plays.
#3falconesquePosted 11/15/2012 9:58:30 AM
Congrats on finally finding it. Yes, there's a boss and farming opportunities. Unique fiends appear in the dungeon's depths as well, important if you seek The End garment grid.

If you've played FFVII, there's a reference there. Pretty obscure, though.

Use a Calm Bangle and farm the place. You'll doubtless still fight plenty of fiends. Split's walkthrough includes an ASCII map and a link to a graphical map. Both are a little vague in a couple of spots, but there's another map posted to the FAQs page that helps with those.

It can be a one-off trip that doesn't take long using those resources. Perhaps much longer searching on your own.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#4timo4142(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 7:04:58 PM
TopperCop posted...
You get one copy of each of the six Tome accessories, which cuts prep time of those six respective ability groups by 40%. IMHO they are horrible waste of accessory slots.

Enemies inside only drop those bombs that you need to blow up walls. Just beat the boss and get the GG in your first playthrough. Skip this in all subsequent plays.

So generally it's not worth going for the accessories, only the grid.
#5rickets987Posted 11/16/2012 7:37:51 PM
I had a hell of a time trying to get one of them. I think it was the Bushido one? Eventually I just gave up IIRC.

Either I was hitting the wrong wall or it's ridiculously rare. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the former.
#6TopperCopPosted 11/16/2012 10:47:37 PM(edited)
rickets987 posted...
I had a hell of a time trying to get one of them. I think it was the Bushido one? Eventually I just gave up IIRC.

Either I was hitting the wrong wall or it's ridiculously rare. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the former.

It is ridiculously rare. The probability to get a Nature or Bushido Tome is only 4%, and only when you bomb near the boss room with no breakable walls nearby.
#7falconesquePosted 11/17/2012 10:03:45 AM
Not terribly rare, but the random factor set at load time can make it seem so. Better to reset than to beat your head against every wall. Literally.

Also, Split's maps are a bit...off, and at least one lore and tome accessory is mixed up, so maybe more. I rarely find the accessories at the places marked. Just blow up all along the route once you head inside the square, as it were, from dead center or facing this wall or that, however you want to mix it up. And when something drops, try again without moving; sometimes you get a string of stuff dropping. Just save some large bombs to get out again.

If you must have a full inventory, the colony is the best source for some of those goods. But it's not a difficult stretch of terrain, not with a Charm Bangle (apologies for misnaming it earlier).
---
#8rickets987Posted 11/17/2012 8:11:09 PM
Has anyone actually proven that FFX-2 uses linear enough random seeding that a reset is required? It's an easy placebo, so..

I know for NES titles, the games really did run off predictable patterns of numbers which could or could not yield poor random number generation, but I have a harder time believing this is the case on the PS2.

In what little trial I've done for FFX-2, I couldn't see a difference between resetting and not for hunting chocobos on Kilika Island.
#9TopperCopPosted 11/17/2012 8:56:31 PM
If you just want a whole bunch of Bushido Tomes for some reason, you're probably better off bribing oversouled Concherers instead of blindly bombing in the dungeon.
#10falconesquePosted 11/18/2012 8:06:53 AM
Square's talent with randomization peaked around the FFX to FFX-2 days. If it's done well, it should be invisible, with the patterns indiscernable. Randomization pointedly attempts to simulate nonlinear happenstance where absolutely everything is reduced to values 1 or 0.

The only proof I know is what I've seen in game, what (little) I know of coding random simulations, and Square's history. The larger of FFX's two Yojimbo FAQs includes formulae revealing randomizing factors, BTW, and those are most likely computed within an overriding nest of the game's coding. Not proof for FFX-2, but highly likely they'd continue with they knew.

I have seen some small measure of difference in FFX-2 with capturing chocobos in various places, times where I caught nothing worth keeping, resetting, then getting a good bird or two. I've sat (admittedly pigheadedly) resetting for better chocobo returns, or to alter a bird's running away, and no, I've never been able to discern pattern repetition.

That the reliance on the console's RNG is so bald-faced obvious in FFXII shows a slippage in their coders' skills. (Heh, their slips are showing, if you will.) A relapse to the examples you mention, rickets987.
---