Interesting Scarlet Letter Quotes

#1KaranokPosted 9/9/2009 11:17:55 PM
Ch 17 Quotes:
"What can a ruined soul like mine effect towards the redemption of other souls? or a polluted soul towards their purification?"

"Think for me, Hester! Thou art strong. Resolve for me!"

"Thou shall not go alone!" answered she, in a deep whisper. Then, all was spoken!

"Were I an atheist a man devoid of conscience a wretch with coarse and brutal instincts I might have found peace long ere now."

"Happy are you, Hester, that wear the scarlet letter openly upon your bosom! Mine burns in secret!"

Ch 3 Quotes:
"A writhing horror twisted itself across his features, like a snake gliding swiftly over them, and making one little pause, with all its wreathed intervolutions in open sight."

"It irks me, nevertheless, that the partner of her iniquity should not at least, stand on the scaffold by her side. But he will be known he will be known! he will be known!"

"...I charge thee to speak out the name of thy fellow-sinner and fellow-sufferer! Be not silent from any mistaken pity and tenderness for him; for, believe me, Hester, though he were to step down from a high place, and stand there beside thee, on thy pedestal of shame, yet better were it so than to hide a guilty heart through life. What can thy silence do for him, except it tempt him yea, compel him, as it were to add hypocrisy to sin?"

"Even the poor baby at Hester's bosom was affected by the same influence, for it directed its hitherto vacant gaze towards Mr. Dimmesdale, and held up its little arms with a half-pleased, half-plaintive murmur."

""I will not speak!" answered Hester, turning pale as death, but responding to this voice, which she too surely recognised. "And my child must seek a heavenly father; she shall never know an earthly one!"

---
If you heard something cool you heard it from me first