Ragnarok: esper or sword?

#1chuchurockettoPosted 8/21/2009 12:22:18 PM
So in most playthroughs I have taken the Ragnarok sword so I can get Illumina. However, I am questioning the wisdom of this in a perfect file, since the Ragnarok esper seems to grant me access to infinite supplies of a number of items which would otherwise be limited.

I have to consider what I will take already, as in Locke's scenario early in the game, there is a Thunder Rod chest which becomes a Hero Ring later in the game. I think I *need* the Thunder Rod to be able to beat the boss at the end of the Magitek Factory with a level 5-6 party; however, this means I forfeit the Hero Ring, of which there are a limited number in the game. If I have the Ragnarok esper, I can morph certain enemies into Pod Bracelets which I can bet for Hero Rings at the colosseum, resolving the problem. But that begs the question of whether I should be taking the Ragnarok sword or esper in the first place.

I am leaning towards esper, but it seems like my weapon selection would be weak without Illumina. What is everyone's recommendation?
#2PsychonoclasmPosted 8/22/2009 6:44:05 AM
If you're looking towards a perfect file, I'd suggest taking the sword. You can steal a Ragnarok from the third tier of the final battle, but you can't turn it into the Illumina.

The Ragnarok esper can net you the Cursed Ring (only really obtainable through Metamorph), Safety Bits (there are 2 of these, but one is a rare steal from a very late boss), and Relic Rings, but these are about the only items you can't get through other means.

Also, Pod Bracelets can be stolen from Doom Dragons in Kefka's Tower IIRC, so you can get unlimited amounts of these and Hero Rings.

If you really want, you could always try and summon Ragnarok using Setzer's BAR-BAR-BAR Slot combination, and have Gogo mime it if you're going for that Cursed Ring or whatever. It's awkward, but at least you'll still have Illumina.
#3DAMIONDEDMANPosted 8/26/2009 12:41:22 PM
Hang on I swear I have a cursed ring, but the only time I had the Ragnarok Esper was on the 1st playthrough and I didn't get a cursed ring that time.
#4PsychonoclasmPosted 8/26/2009 4:59:50 PM
Cursed Rings can be obtained by morphing SrBehemoth on the Veldt. I think there's other enemies too, but I don't know all of them offhand (I do know that one of them is Siegfried, who you fight in the Colosseum therefore prevents the use of Metamorph >_>). It certainly can't be stolen from or dropped by any enemies.

The only other way is to bet the Cursed Shield at the Colosseum for one, which is just stupid since you're losing out on the (seriously awesome) Paladin's Shield in favour of a largely worthless relic.
#5DAMIONDEDMANPosted 8/27/2009 4:31:00 AM
Hm... well I'm sure I had the paladin shield and a cursed ring, what does the ring even do anyway? I can't remember.

Ah I just thought what I most likely did was bet the cursed shield just to see what the cursed ring did, then reset to get my shield back.
#6LeviathanMistPosted 9/2/2009 1:10:10 AM
Short answer: Get the sword for a perfect item list, or the esper for a perfect esper list.

Long answer: You can never have a perfect item OR esper list. This is because in the case of items, you can never have both a Cursed Shield and a Paladin Shield at the same time (in a legit game), and for espers, you can never have Odin and Raiden at the same time (again, in a legit game). So basically, pick your poison. Or use cheat codes.

If you choose the Ragnarok sword, it's still possible to cast the Ragnarok esper. The Magicite item and Setzer's 3-bar slot will have a 4% chance to cast Ragnarok on each use. Thus, if you have the patience, you can still get unique morphables like Cursed Rings and Relic Rings.
#7PhilInTheBoxPosted 9/11/2009 2:10:54 AM
Sword. Illumina trumps the entire game, including Ultima, by itself. Want to make a character a god? Stick Illumina on him.

You can always learn Ultima from the Paladin Shield, although I prefer using Mertron with flame shields instead. Actually, let me say it- Mertron, when prepared for is the best spell in the game.

Mertron > Ultima

---
BeerMeJebus - KZ2
Decent Engineer
#8Golden_MaxPosted 9/13/2009 3:55:45 AM
PhilInTheBox posted...
Sword. Illumina trumps the entire game, including Ultima, by itself. Want to make a character a god? Stick Illumina on him.

You can always learn Ultima from the Paladin Shield, although I prefer using Mertron with flame shields instead. Actually, let me say it- Mertron, when prepared for is the best spell in the game.

Mertron > Ultima

---
BeerMeJebus - KZ2
Decent Engineer

I agree. You have enough MP from economizer to cast any heal spells anyway. You don't need items late game and 80% of the items you won't use. I only use Ribbon/Economizer as relics and the rest is easy. I've beaten the game under level 20 so anything beyond that (Ragnorok or no) is even that much easier to beat.