Any reason why this title was never released outside of Japan?

#1xF0xPosted 11/21/2008 4:56:56 AM
And I mean not just NES version but all the Battle City games, including the ones on GameBoy and Wii. Battle City absolutely doesn't have any controversial content, its just a tank combat game, and an awesome one at that. What is it about this game that would make it unsuitable for releasing worldwide? The entire game was already in English so they didn't even have to translate it. I really can't think of any good reason, unless it was some sort of agreement between Namco and nintendo to keep the game in Japan.. And even then, this agreement wouldn't make sense..
On my japanese NES I played Battle City to death with my parents when I was a kid and I always assumed it was released in US and Europe. Anyone know why this title has always been Japan exclusive?
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#2xF0x(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2008 7:05:07 AM
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#3amaravatiPosted 12/8/2008 8:19:33 AM
Probably because it would have coincide with Iran-Iraq War and they didn't want to create controversy by releasing the game.

Just Kidding...
I have been searching for this game forever and finally I just found out the name of this game today! This game was awesome. I remember playing in so much in my adolescent days. For such an awesome game, it is weird that the game never made it to Western countries.
#4xF0x(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2008 2:14:01 AM
True, what a shame..
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#5xF0x(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2008 10:21:18 PM
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#6xF0x(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2009 8:23:55 PM
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#7xF0x(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2009 8:14:44 AM
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#8Bored_HuntPosted 1/16/2009 8:04:22 PM
bummer
---
Some people just want to watch the world burn.
http://i34.tinypic.com/14vh8c9.jpg
#9xF0x(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2009 4:01:09 AM
Yeah..
---
"Unless its a farm!!"
#10Gambit 37Posted 2/16/2009 2:40:07 PM
"I always assumed it was released in [the] US and Europe."

Same here. I actually JUST found out that it wasn't. I was wondering why no one (besides my family and I) seems to know this game exists...

I never had a Famicom as a kid, but I did own a version of this game for my NES. To this day I still think of it as one of the best NES games I owned. 2 player co-op, in-depth level editor, 35+ selectable levels... and the game has a sort of strategic-action type design to its gameplay. It was a very well made game for 1985. Why they never released it outside of Japan is beyond me...
---
"I don't want it to be FUN... FUN often times ruins games." - IgnatiusLoyola