How is the Elf able to cast spells with a shield and armor?

#1John_DanePosted 2/2/2012 4:36:03 PM(edited)
With that light shield, and the armor, she should be failing spell casts.

I know, I know. It's just an action game, doesn't have to follow the rules to the letter. But the question remains. And let's say she isn't even wearing "armor", but those are just her clothes (which makes sense), she's still using the shield.

I'm trying to make this exact same character in Neverwinter Nights, but even without armor, and using only a light shield, she has 5% Arcane Spell Failure.

Just curious, does this same spell failure (5% with light shield) apply in whatever version of D&D this game is supposed to represent?

Edit: I realize I can't make a character "exactly" like her. I meant "as close to her" as possible.
#2John_Dane(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2012 5:23:17 PM(edited)
Bah, never mind. It looks like she could be using the "feat" Still Spell. And with Automatic Still Spell, she doesn't need to worry about armor penalties at all. Then again, she'd have to be a really high level for that to work, which is obviously not the case here.
#3John_Dane(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2012 12:38:15 AM(edited)
Also just realized this game is based on the vanilla Dungeons and Dragons, which I've never played.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons#Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons

Specifically

The relationship between race and class is changed. In the original Dungeons & Dragons, elf, dwarf, and hobbit are considered classes, where in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons the players select races and classes independently.

So the "Elf" here is her own class. Reminds me of Warriors of the Eternal Sun (on the Genesis), which had this same mechanic.
#4SupremoPosted 2/6/2012 8:03:29 AM
The only Dungeons & Dragons game I've played is this one.
---
Every moment give us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu
#5John_Dane(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2012 5:29:21 PM
Help computer.
#6SupremoPosted 2/7/2012 8:34:59 AM
the only worth D&D game to play is this one. Those other games where people act is for nerds
---
Every moment give us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu