God vs Saw is not a glitch, it is by design! [Spoilers, Wonderswan]

#1styrixPosted 6/21/2012 7:52:29 AM
So I just finished the WonderSwan remake of this, and many of the glitches have been fixed, especially the humans with over 99 stats. Thus, Humans are not over powered, but fairly balanced. Well, at the end, I wanted to see if they had "fixed" everything, and the saw trick still worked on God. Shouldn't we conclude from this that it is still not a glitch but is by design?

Personally, I like the poetic justice of it all, being simply ended with a chainsaw (that's the Wonderswan's item name). It reminds me of the movie "Time Bandits".

Also, on a side not, now that I'm 20 years older and replayed the game as an adult with a child of my own, one of the final side rooms with the dead children really freaked me out. It made me happy to chainsaw this false God.
#2DragonAtmaPosted 6/21/2012 8:28:47 AM
It's almost certainly a glitch; they merely never got around to fixing it. Basically, they used wrong operation: it was supposed to check if (str > def) but instead checks if (str < def).

Also they may have considered it hilarious that they kept it in, just as they kept FF3's vanish-doom for the PSX port.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#3KnightAlexPosted 6/21/2012 8:47:06 AM
But have you ever noticed Creator's death animation directly corresponds to Saw's attack animation? Saw attack is a downward slash, and Creator gets sliced in two starting from the top, which is pretty unique for a final boss death animation (most of the time final bosses melt in spectacular ways).

Makes me think that they were aware of the bug, decided not to fix it, and thought it was amusing to see God get killed by a chainsaw. Think of it as an Easter Egg.
#4DragonAtmaPosted 6/21/2012 9:07:14 AM
It's always like that, even if you use a different weapon. Also, keep in mind that no other enemies do that if you use the saw on them.

Also the text is "CREATOR went to pieces" (or whatever enemy you're slicing up), which suggests more than just two pieces.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#5KnightAlexPosted 6/21/2012 9:28:10 AM
It would be quite bothersome to do different attack animations for different cases, would it not? So they left this one, the one that looks exactly like what would happen if he got sliced by Saw. And pieces are just more than one piece, so it could very well be two pieces.
#6KnightAlexPosted 6/21/2012 9:33:05 AM
Oops, I meant to say "death animations", not "attack animations". Sorry for the doublepost.
#7DragonAtmaPosted 6/21/2012 1:04:00 PM
Except I'm pretty sure they could apply this to other enemies if they wanted to.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#8_KazPosted 6/21/2012 1:56:43 PM
Doesn't the split-apart animation apply to all the bosses when they are defeated?

(Also, a bunch of other glitches got carried over, including confusion issues.)
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#9DragonAtmaPosted 6/21/2012 2:02:41 PM
nope, just to the final boss; the other ones have the top zoom off to one side and the bottom off to the other side. think of y=x^3, but rotated 90 degrees.

Or view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ByiS4PvS8 for an example.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^