Why do monsters have to suck?

#31DragonAtmaPosted 12/12/2012 8:56:55 AM(edited)
It's not just health; Creator has 200 defense, so attacks that pierce defense are great. IIRC defense is simply subtracted from the damage done, so a non-piercing attack that does 50 damage to him would have done 250 damage if it was defense-piercing.

I'm a bit rusty, so I don't recall what the defense-piercing attacks were; I do know that Melt is one of them, though. My best guess for other defense-piercing monster attacks are Flare, P-Blast, Beam, Chill, Touch, Drink, and Explode. Some of them may simply be powerful attacks, though, and Explode does exactly what the name says -- keep those hearts handy if you're going to use it!

EDIT: If you want to test those skills to see if they pierce, try them first on the 1st floor enemies, then have the same monster try them on enemies inside the final dungeon. If they're NOT piercing, they'll consistently do 50-100 less damage in that endgame dungeon than they did against the ultrawimpy enemies!
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#32_KazPosted 1/10/2013 3:52:32 PM
Did you ever figure out if there was a difference between the Flare ability and the Flare book?
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#33DragonAtmaPosted 1/10/2013 4:27:02 PM
...one is an ability and the other is a book? XD

Seriously, though, http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/563273-the-final-fantasy-legend/faqs/21924 says that flare ability has a mana power of 8, while flare the book has a mana power of 10. For reference, elec/fire/ice books have a power of 6, while the skills have a power of 4.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#34Ramza1Posted 1/18/2013 6:59:28 PM(edited)
DragonAtma...
Seriously, though, http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/563273-the-final-fantasy-legend/faqs/21924 says that flare ability has a mana power of 8, while flare the book has a mana power of 10. For reference, elec/fire/ice books have a power of 6, while the skills have a power of 4.

Do you know if those numbers are the actual values from the game's data? Or were they simply derived based on the (inaccurate) damage formula theorized by the FAQ's writer?

Either way, the numbers are good enough to compare items (higher values still indicate a greater effect), but I was just wondering if those values worked when plugged into the real formula (I think it's in an Alex Jackson archive topic somewhere).

Since I'm back:

On the topic of this game's class balancing, I consider the potential of monsters to become ridiculously OP early on to be significant in the balance measurement. A monster will never compare to a human or mutant against the final boss, but if you only feed them meat that makes them stronger, you have a decent chance of getting some things that make the game a breeze until the fourth world, even without intentional meat grinding.

This is based on limited experience, I'll admit, but in a no grinding playthrough, my monster started to surpassed my human and mutants by the second world (using a guide to check meat results before eating, of course).
---
I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain that you owe me money!
#35_KazPosted 1/18/2013 7:18:45 PM
With a guide, the monster class is an invaluable crutch.
With a guide. And some luck. And possibly a bit of grinding.

But still, even without a guide, some monsters just provide that instant extra 'oomph' parties need (the Albatross' beak or RedBull's tusk is almost a OHKO against nearly everyone in Floor 1) before the puny humanoids need to spend cash on bows or rapiers.

DragonAtma posted...
...one is an ability and the other is a book? XD

Yeah, the the original intent was to see if the natural ability (among others) is reflect-able (even though the number of enemies with reflect is few).
---
#36DragonAtmaPosted 1/18/2013 8:45:17 PM
Ramza1 posted...
DragonAtma...

Do you know if those numbers are the actual values from the game's data? Or were they simply derived based on the (inaccurate) damage formula theorized by the FAQ's writer?

Are they proven? No. But I'd estimate there's a 90% chance of them being correct, and a 98% chance of the book being stronger than the skill.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#37BareknuckleRoo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 7:20:13 AM
'
I'd agree the books (and wands) almost certainly are more powerful than the skills. It worked that way in FFL2, albeit the difference in damage was more inflated there than in FFL1.

In my last playthrough of FFL1 I remember noticing that the Lich I got at one point didn't quite match my Mutant in Flare output, despite the Lich being at 99 Mana and the Mutant being just under that. Playing with a guide, or a whole lotta time on your hands via experimentation (and knowing sort of how meat transformations works) really changes their early game usefulness. Shame that the only decent monster late/endgame are HiSlimes because of how broken having Dissolve, P-Blast and Gas all on one is compared to other monster skillsets (and they actually put up a decent fight against the final boss). FFL2 was better in that there's actually a number of competitive final monsters you could use in the endgame, albeit Titania tends to be the most popular for Flare I think?
#38_KazPosted 1/19/2013 10:38:56 PM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
FFL2 was better in that there's actually a number of competitive final monsters you could use in the endgame, albeit Titania tends to be the most popular for Flare I think?

Probably because she was a cute sprite. (*rimshot*)

But she does have a slew of magic attacks, while fairly worthless against parties of Paladins, were very useful against the final boss. (Though many monsters would trump that -- the Mazin's armour-piercing beam, Ghosts and their drain/touch combo, the Four Devas from FFL1...)
---
#39_KazPosted 2/18/2013 11:04:41 PM
Huh. This might be one of the few SaGa topics around.
---
#40zoogelioPosted 2/22/2013 4:36:44 AM
_Kaz posted...
Huh. This might be one of the few SaGa topics around.

It's too bad. AFAIK, only the octopi really suck. And nothing can suck better than a Kraken.