When to promote them at what level?

#1MonarchPaulosPosted 10/8/2008 2:34:18 PM
In my past games I ALWAYS promoted my group at level 20 right on the dot, but do they keep stats if they continue gaining levels at 20? When should I stop leveling them... I mean you can't equip all the gear eventually if you don't promote them... what to do?

---
I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies one at a time! AIM: PaulostheSpy Pokemon Diamond: Paulos, 2663 8797 0773
#2MonarchPaulos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2008 3:03:10 PM
Also can my hero use the Achilles sword as a Swordsman? If not then I HAVE to promote HIM... and I want to get him to level 40 instead, and this is all so confusing, someone help me.

---
I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies one at a time! AIM: PaulostheSpy Pokemon Diamond: Paulos, 2663 8797 0773
#3Uni_HelldhazPosted 10/9/2008 1:31:17 AM
Levelling beyond 20 before promotion just means the game becomes a lot easier once you eventually promote.

And Bowie can equip the Achilles Sword as a SDMN; if you end up waiting to promote him that's the weapon you'll be sticking with.
---
Helldhaz's account for the few minutes in the day I'm on a Uni computer.
#4ao_bomberPosted 10/9/2008 3:19:40 AM
1) Unlike SF1, stats do NOT 'roll back' upon promoting characters, except for one case where you promote a knight into a Pegasus Knight. (-10 DEF I believe.)

2) Assuming you're playing the game on normal difficulty, You should start promoting characters at LVL 30, which then you should be at (or just after) the Zalbard battle. I usually promote at Zalbard as it is really difficult to win that battle with unpromoted characters, and afterwards the game starts to get really insane and tedious with all the Devil Soldiers, Cereberuses, Peg Knights, and all the other emenies you can't easily 2-shot anymore. You can keep going if you like, but you will likely HAVE to promote around the prism flower map.

Also, I personally promote Peter/Gerhalt at 40 because they aren't reliant on weapons, and gain little from a promotion besides a much deserved cosmetic makeover, easy leveling, and 20 extra levels of stats. I also promote Karna at LVL40 because she gets a truckload of EXP from spamming the Boost spell, making her leveling extremely fast.

If you're playing on 'Ouch!' or 'Super' difficulty, definitely don't promote anyone until LVL 40.

Basically, don't promote right at LVL20 as the game will get much harder towards the end if you do; wait until around lvl 30. The higher level you get the Force to before promoting, the stronger they'll be later in the game (especially with mithril weapons). The game will be easy now to, but don't push yourself to get everyone to LVL40 unless you stand the grind, LVL30-40 is slooooow with how little damage many units will put out.

3) Bowie can equip the Achilles Sword as soon as you get it, regardless of whether he's promoted or not. In fact, it's the best sword for him UNTIL he promotes.

---
PKMN Diamond FC: 2577 9708 9318
MMStarForce1 FC: 2148 8950 0894
#5Krazy_JolioPosted 10/9/2008 4:12:38 AM
1) Unlike SF1, stats do NOT 'roll back' upon promoting characters, except for one case where you promote a knight into a Pegasus Knight. (-10 DEF I believe.)

Only Chester loses ten Def. There are some other stat losses, like promoting to Baron, but I can't remembr the exact numbers off the top of my head. It's a different system anyway.
Promote at 20 or 40. Promoting at 30 is boring until you promote because you have to stick with weak weapons and low-ish stats, and then boring after you promote because you just smash everything.
Promoting at 40 at least gives some challenge to the game, until you promote that is.
20 is the way to go, the game is easy enough, and if you can't even beat Ouch! without promoting at 40, you shouldn't be playing on anything higher than Normal. The only characters I'd ever promote after 20 are Sarah and Karna, and that's because of the excess healing Exp...

... and because Karna needs extra stats.

Side note in case you didn't know: Stat boosting items revert after promotion, so don't use them before you promote, especially the Pimentos.
---
Wrong
#6ao_bomberPosted 10/9/2008 8:13:42 AM
Side note in case you didn't know: Stat boosting items revert after promotion, so don't use them before you promote, especially the Pimentos.

Incorrect, only the Pimentos are wiped upon promotion in this game. All the other Stat boosting items are permanent.
---
PKMN Diamond FC: 2577 9708 9318
MMStarForce1 FC: 2148 8950 0894
#7MonarchPaulos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2008 9:09:39 AM
Thank you all for your assistance in SF2, I must say all you've said has never been even a consideration on how I played it... I always just promoted my characters at level 20, all of them... so they are more worthy and stronger as units eh? I go with EASY mode also by the way... and I guess I'm just not technical enough for all these things but I do not use those stat boosting items til after I promote a character, which I only use the items on my Hero since I love my main character. Any tips on how to get him to level 40 fast? I heard something about using the Protect Ring and getting 49 exp with ease?.. If that's the case, that's how I'll do it :)

---
#8Krazy_JolioPosted 10/9/2008 2:23:11 PM
The easiest way to level non-healing characters to 40 is fighting Mist Demons in the fairy woods stage. Healers can get the free healing/boosting exp.
The protect ring gives five exp. per character you boost, but you'll have to wait until they go back to normal before you can boost again so it's not very time efficient, and Karna will probably be boosting the whole force for ~49 exp. anyway.

You shouldn't do that unless you want the rest of the game to be so easy it's boring. Just promote at 20.
---
Wrong
#9Elrick75Posted 10/9/2008 6:35:10 PM
Highest I've ever taken someone was 26, and that was Kiwi because I wanted to make him decent later on. I find he falls too far behind if you promote him at 20 and he's one of my favorite characters for some reason.
---
It's a rat flail!