Nearly beat the game without the code

#1romsnbombsPosted 1/15/2011 6:20:46 AM
Oh man, I got right to the end and I swear the big alien heart was only a couple of shots off being destroyed. But then one of the facehuggers came and I died. My heart was pounding, as I was on the verge of beating the game for the first time without the code. What a disapointment.

Anyway, I saved the state and will have another go on a second continue.

btw, where do you guys stand on the use of auto-fire?

And what control pads are you using? I'm using one of those Buffalo Famicom pads.
#2MEGAMURPosted 1/15/2011 5:23:07 PM
I personally look down on both auto-fire and save states, and I use standard NES controllers (either the classic, or the "bone" style that came with the NES toploader).
---
DOOM 3 - Winners Don't Use Duct Tape
#3HomeslicePosted 1/16/2011 1:30:33 AM
Yeah, those face huggers are the bane of my existence... eff them to hell.

I only use the regular NES controller to play. I have an NES Advantage too, which has the option to use turbo and slow motion, but I refuse to use either.
#4Demon_ShellPosted 1/16/2011 2:49:11 AM
i never found the last boss that hard on the first cycle, just sounds like random misfortune, i'm sure you'll do fine the next time around

but yeah, save states and turbo are uncool, unless you're playing fester's quest, because who the hell wants to keep hitting that damn button against respawning enemies? avoid that game, by the way
---
"I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I need you to get the hell up out of here." ~Huey; The Boondocks
#5romsnbombs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2011 4:58:27 AM
Well the save state was only the same as leaving a real NES on and pausing the game, no? I didn't actually reverse the game, I just went on a continue.

As for the auto fire, well I don't use it all the time. Infact, I can do just as well without it. After all, I can complete contra 4, and obviously there is no auto fire there. It's just that it really stresses me out having to tap the button so fast. Do you guys bring your index and middle fingers round the front of the controller like me? There's no way I can fire as fast with my thumb as with my index finger
#6romsnbombs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2011 5:06:39 AM
Oh, for what it's worth, I actually ended up starting the game all over again. I got through the whole game pretty well, but I died on the heart boss again! This is frustrating.

Then I started all over again and I got totally owned on the snow field. Then I had to use a continue on the hangar. At which point I got angry and quit.

But I will do it within the next couple of days, I swear...
#7HomeslicePosted 1/16/2011 2:14:38 PM
Well, I would say that save states are perfectly fine the way you're using them, to continue from where you left off only. I'd say it's when people abuse the "load state" feature that it becomes frowned upon.

Whenever I need to use my trigger finger (those tanks in the Snow Field with the starting weapon, for example), I always switch to my index finger. I have to hold the controller a certain way to get the best results, which involves me not being able to use the D-pad at all.
#8arcnovaPosted 1/16/2011 2:26:43 PM
i myself just finished the game with out the code a few minutes ago, i used nothing but the standard rifle and rapid power ups. died a couple times but still 1 cc which im proud of :)
---
soul silver code
2021 3448 6610
#9romsnbombs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2011 3:52:34 PM
Contrats!
#10MEGAMURPosted 1/16/2011 4:40:58 PM
Nice going, arcnova. An old-fashioned Contra board challenge. :)
---
DOOM 3 - Winners Don't Use Duct Tape