who liked the old english style text?

#1scirPosted 4/2/2008 1:47:00 PM
i never took an old english or language class in my life yet i know most of the words and the style of old english from this game!

how preferred this style? who thinks it should have been kept for the sequels?
---
My video game reviews - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=scir91
#2AntiyonderPosted 4/3/2008 9:42:29 AM
Neutral: As long as it's readable, and the game is fun, then text style can do whatever.
#3x_lotoPosted 4/3/2008 6:13:50 PM
I loved it. It was so different from other games, and helped it stand apart in a way. Plus, they actually used it correctly, unlike some other games! ;-)
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Quest III (J) (NES), Xenogears (PSX), Ultima (APL2)
#4RoundmanPosted 4/3/2008 6:44:07 PM
I liked it. It enhanced the atmosphere of the game IMO.

Fun fact:

The English in the game isn't modeled on "Old English," it's modeled on Early Modern English. Early modern English ( "he taketh") was the language of Shakespeare, spoken in the late 16th- mid 17th century. It's a bit strange to us today, but it's basically intelligible to modern English speakers.

Old English was spoken in England from the Germannic invasions (mid 5th century) to sometime after the Norman conquest (mid 11th century). It was very Germannic, and it would be almost totally unintelligible to modern English speakers.
#5Black_CrusherPosted 4/4/2008 8:24:02 AM
I liked it a lot. Too bad it didn't last very long!

Fortune smiles upon thee.. Thou hast found the Death Necklace!

---
DXF Games official website- http://Del_duio.sitesled.com/
Out now! Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye!
#6WolfAlmightyPosted 4/4/2008 9:48:32 AM
I thought Old English was actually Gaelic, not Germanic. Or am I thinking of Middle English?

~Wolfgang
#7RoundmanPosted 4/4/2008 10:17:26 AM
I thought Old English was actually Gaelic, not Germanic. Or am I thinking of Middle English?

You're thinking of what the original, Celtic British people spoke before the Germanic invasions.

Remember, the terms "England" and "English" come from the name "Angle", one of the major Germanic tribes that invaded the British Isles (the Saxons, the Jutes, and other Germanic tribes also took part in the invasions). Their part of the islands became known as Angle-land (later England), and the Angle language, which started an Old German dialect, became known as English. Old English was mostly Germanic (although it was undoubtedly influenced to some extent by the Celtic language of the British predecessors.)
#8Ragn_At_WorkPosted 4/4/2008 11:42:23 AM
...and let's not forget all the Latin from the Romans hundreds of years earlier...
---
Read the ToU! Read the stickies! Read the FAQs! Read the Help Files! Read the manual! Read a book on grammar and spelling!
You forgot to read something!
#9KaskosPosted 4/4/2008 12:12:17 PM
I can't stand it when modern games try to speak in formal english and miss the mark.

Ex: "I will watch how thou struggle, what thou shall do." (Chrono Cross)
Or, "Wouldest thou bed down within?" (Guess...yep, Dw 3)

"I will watch how thou shalt struggle, what thou shalt do."
I don't even know where to begin on the second one.

The romance has left our marriage.

---
Hard work pays off in the future, but laziness pays off now.
#10KaskosPosted 4/11/2008 7:30:13 AM
What is with them using "will" as opposed to "wilt"?

---
Hard work pays off in the future, but laziness pays off now.