Wow AI controlled characters suck...

#1megametal42Posted 6/13/2010 11:32:18 PM
I bought a boxed copy of this game on ebay years ago, and I just put it in for the first time. Not only am I annoyed that I'm stuck with one character, like DW1, but when I finally get someone else, I can't control them! That Healie thing or whatever never heals when it needs to. And if it's not healing, it should just block! I can't even use it to heal myself outside of battle. That boss in the first tower keeps killing me so quickly because Healie won't heal...and I do have the sword of malice along with the best armor that I can buy at that point in the game. DW3 worked so well with PLAYABLE characters. What the hell did they do? As I read more about the game, I hear that once you finally have your full "party" that you only control the main character? Be honest with me, is it a huge pain in the ass? Does the AI suck then as well?
---
Go Army
Xbox 360 Gamertag/Playstation Network - Dethmetal42
#2DarkPaladin126Posted 6/14/2010 9:02:49 PM
You can train the AI. And if that doesn't work, grind away some levels.

---
RPG Elite: (126) Crimson Wizzard
"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad." ~ Rincewind
#3sigma_1932Posted 6/14/2010 10:32:50 PM
it's not a pain in the ass if you only bring physical attacking characters plus one healer and set them to "defensive" tactics, so they only either attack or heal.
---
HA! VICTORY IS MINE!
#4KingMetalSlimePosted 6/15/2010 7:25:35 PM
I've never been able to get the AI to work great, myself, but it generally at least works fairly decently other than for Cristo's affinity for Beat/Defeat and the fact that it's pretty much impossible to make use of some of the more useful buffing spells (like Bikill), because the AI just never uses them. It's perfectly possible to go through the majority of Chapter 5 without any of the magic-users in your party, though. This really isn't a difficult game by any means. However, you will want to take a healer with you to most of the boss battles, and offensive magic can help immensely against some of the earlier bosses in Chapter 5 if you're at a low level when taking them on.
#5ajetrumpetPosted 6/17/2010 6:32:09 PM
if you have a game genie for the NES, all this goes away. there are countless numbers of codes you can use to stop this junk. there's even one to shut off the AI =)
#6SeyalPosted 6/21/2010 2:09:44 PM
The AI in DW4 is not that bad.

I never had more fun in this game than running an all-mage party or Nara/Mara.

Tactic switching goodness. Actually had to think a lot to make it through, let alone the endgame.

---
SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!! - Fredegund from Suikoden: Tierkreis
#7Stides40Posted 6/22/2010 2:10:18 PM
I don't think I've ever played this without the game genie code to turn off the AI. Well other then when it first came out for NES. But yea I dont know what they were thinking. Why would we not want to control our characters? Really doesnt make sense to me.
---
A rich mans beer is a poor mans empty
#8The_BonesPosted 6/22/2010 2:37:36 PM
By turning off the AI with a game genie do you mean it switches back to manual control or do they just do nothing? Personally though I never had much trouble with the AI in this game.
#9Stides40Posted 6/23/2010 4:37:35 PM
yea man the game genie code makes chapter 5 just like say, chapter 2. Fully in control!
---
A rich mans beer is a poor mans empty
#10MasterOtenkoPosted 6/23/2010 11:44:04 PM
I've only had one problem with the AI in this game, and it's Cristo repeatedly casting Beat/Defeat on bosses.

Aside from that stupidity, though, I love the AI in this game. This game made me decide to let the AI control all of my characters in the later games.
---
Unyu! Unya!
More topics from this board...
Dreamcasting this gameSylinde84/10 6:11AM