endgame gear/stat questions (spoilers)

#1toritoritori247Posted 12/2/2011 10:07:38 AM
So yeah. If you don't want any back info, you can skip to the third paragraph. To give a quick background, I played this only once before. Made it through the Jade Passage with no problems, as I was (so I thought) highly overleveled. Then I fought one battle in Pandaemonium (hope I'm getting these names right) and got friggin owned. So I didn't play the game for a few years. I don't usually get that upset, this one just did it to me.

Then I started a new game a week or two ago. Tried to do some reading up on gear penalties (sco's ff2j facility has a nice list) as well as stat building. Noticed that on my last game all my characters were basically strong physical fighters (though far from max) and decent casters (both White and Black). So I worked harder this time on making Firion and Gus pure fighters, though I'm slowly turning them into casters whilst trying not to lose Strength, and Maria is pure caster, though her Strength has slowly crept up.

So what would be some good gear ideas for the final party? I still have a bit of game left (just re-taking Fynn atm) but I'm so OP I can breeze through until the end. I'm playing the PS version, but this board seemed to have a bit more life, hence my posting here. But I've played the Toad minigame and have/can have as many Aegis Shields/Ribbons/Genji Armors/Helms/Gloves as needed. I've been keeping those on the guys mostly, with a few weapons being leveled (mainly though Spears for Firion and Axes for Gus) while using just a Ribbon/Gold Hairpin and sometimes a Ninja Suit for Maria (yeah I went to Mysidia super early, before even getting the Mythril). Also, I use shields to try to get agility/evasion, and usually just use a Staff for Maria.

Sorry if I've rambled too long. Just wondering of things I should know about endgame. Remembering how badly I got owned in Pandaemonium and hoping that doesn't happen again. I can end up posting character stats if needed, though hopefully sometime soon I'll go on toward the end so I can level Leon a bit. Fynn just seems to be a great place to build up, even though I'm already very OP. Thanks in advance for any advice. :-)
---
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin
#2silktailPosted 12/2/2011 10:31:02 PM
and have/can have as many Aegis Shields/Ribbons/Genji Armors/Helms/Gloves as needed. I've been keeping those on the guys mostly, ....

.... Also, I use shields to try to get agility/evasion,

Unless you have 99% Evasion once you've finished equipping them, I recommend using a Shield and ditching that Heavy Genji equipment.
Ideally wearing lighter mage equipment, breastplates, etc instead.

Once you can keep 99% Evasion you can start adding Heavier equipment, or using a second weapon instead of a Shield.
Note: some weapons give as much evasion per level as a shield does.

I fought one battle in Pandaemonium (hope I'm getting these names right) and got friggin owned.

Those enemies have a physical attack which does percentage damage based on your MaxHP.
Strong Defence can't reduce it, so you should try to evade more hits of each attack.

Of course it is still possible to power through that section with a defensive tank party. But decent Agility & Evasion will makes those battles pretty easy.
---
#3toritoritori247(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2011 11:43:53 PM
First off, sorry for the rant. I had more typed, but had to shorten it. The paragraphs with ** are where my actual questions are.

Thanks silktail. I'd have to go check on the evasion percent with Genji gear. I'm thinking it was still pretty high with the heavy stuff. I'm slowly building up a few spells like Flare, Aura, and Haste and trying to get Firion's and Gus' Intelligence up without losing much Endurance.

**Does Endurance really do anything once your HP is maxed? I've had HP and MP maxed for some time (gotta love Swap, which I have since dropped because I figured I wouldn't need it now that HP and MP are maxed). I'm still trying to keep it up for now, but figured I should ask if I even need to. All 3 have max HP, MP, Spirit, and Endurance (minus maybe a couple points from recent Int/Spell building). Gus and Firion have max Str, Maria has max Int, and her Agility is getting close (it's ~90 now). The guys only have ~50 AGL, Maria has ~40 STR, and the Guys have INT ~30 (though I think Gus is about 10 points higher than Firion). Everyone's Magic is in the high 40s, which is one of the stats I'm not too sure how to build, or how important it is.

**Then there's Evasion and Magic Defense. All pretty low ATM, assuming it can go up to 99. The guys Evasion is around 8, while Maria is only like 2 or 3 IIRC. M Def is about 8 or 9 for everyone ATM. Any tips on how to build those stats better? They seem to just come randomly. As few points as I've gotten, I know at least a couple of times I've gotten EVA in a fight where I didn't dodge any attacks, and gotten MDEF from fights in which I wasn't hit by magic.

**If I don't need those stats too high, you can let me know that too, but I have a feeling they are useful. I'm guessing the EVA percent is just as big (if not more) of a deal as the actual stat, but idk for sure. And I'm guessing I'll need at least a decent MDEF, especially when I run into enemies casting high level spells (especially status spells).

You (silktail) seem to know this game rather well, and I still have a lot to learn about it. Of course if anyone else wants to give advice it's all appreciated. I can use all the help I can get really. Just remembering how strong I thought I was on my first playthrough and how badly I got owned in Pandaemonium, I just want to make sure I'm well prepared this time. And, as I did last time as well, I'll be keeping tons of elixirs in my inventory. Seems about the only item worth having endgame. I have ~1M gold atm, and I'll probably do the minigame thing once more just to make sure, unless I can max out on Elixirs without doing so, which I doubt (I have 6 on me ATM, and 1M would only buy 20).

I realize some of what I'm doing may be overkill, I just want to make sure I beat it this time. Whenever I go through the game again, I'm going to try things normally, instead of having strong enough characters to breeze through to the endgame before even getting the Mythril lol. It's just that, along with FF3 (which I've only played briefly via emulation), and FF12 (I beat all kinds of tough hunts and I'm sure I could've easily killed the last boss, I just got tired of it and never finished it) this is the only one in the main series I haven't finished. That's counting X-2 as 11 (even though I thought it was terrible, I did beat the main game) since 11 was MMO. Again, thanks in advance for the help. :-)
---
#4silktailPosted 12/4/2011 6:10:22 PM(edited)
Does Endurance really do anything once your HP is maxed?

Yes. Their Magic Def% is boosted by the Endurance and Magic stats. (As well as the equipment boost.)

**Everyone's Magic is in the high 40s, which is one of the stats I'm not too sure how to build, or how important it is.

It's the MP's equivalent to HP's Endurance.
I.e. The amount MP grows is based on the Magic stat. Lose MP for a chance to increase it. Boosts their Magic Def%.

**Then there's Evasion and Magic Defense. All pretty low ATM, assuming it can go up to 99. The guys Evasion is around 8, while Maria is only like 2 or 3 IIRC. M Def is about 8 or 9 for everyone ATM. Any tips on how to build those stats better?

Evasion and Magic Def. levels can only be raised to 16.

They both gain a hidden exp stat, which is much like weapon-exp except that it counts the number of time you were targeted by enemy attacks.With Physical attacks going towards Evasion-exp and Magical ones for Magic-exp.

Being targeted by all the attacks and/or having longer battles, are the best ways to gain the exp more quicker. (The attack doesn't have to hit and counts even if you kill them first.)
I.e. Using each character Solo might be the easiest way to do this.

**If I don't need those stats too high, you can let me know that too, but I have a feeling they are useful.

Evasion: 8-99% should be enough to make the final enemies fairly easy.
While a Ribbon, Aegis Shield, or White Robe will protect against the 4 Status elements anyway (if their Magic Def.% isn't very good).

Note The Ribbon also gives the protection to 4 Damage Elements too.

I'm guessing the EVA percent is just as big (if not more) of a deal as the actual stat, but idk for sure.

Basically the level is how many times they try to dodge per attack, and the percent is the chance of each dodge succeeding. Then then number successful dodges decreases the number of successful hits of the enemy's attack.

It's the same for Magic Def. against spell hits per attack. (Although Damage spells have guaranteed hits which can't be dodged, as well as the normal chanced hits.)

I realize some of what I'm doing may be overkill, I just want to make sure I beat it this time.

It sounds like you are well prepared to beat it already. At the very least having a good Evasion% is normal enough to do it.

Unless you really want to max out characters for the sake of it, then you probably should give it a go to see how well you are doing. You can always leave to train some more, if you feel you still need to.
---
#5toritoritori247(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2011 7:01:53 PM
Thank you very much for all the detailed answers. I think I literally have no more questions to ask at this point heh. You've been more help than I can tell you. :-)

I will just try to make it to the end next time I play. From the way it sounds, I see no reason I shouldn't be able to beat it. Even though I thought that last time I was playing, I have much more powerful characters this time around. The only thing I might do is build a little bit once I get Leon back, although I should have no problem doing things with 3 characters as strong at they are. Not sure when I'll play it again, but hopefully I'll be able to tell you I finished it next time I post.
---
#6silktailPosted 12/6/2011 6:35:04 PM
My own recommendation for Leon is to give him a Defender Sword as a secondary weapon. As that gives as much Evasion% per level as a shield and that he has better levels than with Shields.
(Also light equipment of course, ideally something to boost his Agility.)

But that is assuming I won't be spending much time training him up.
---
#7toritoritori247(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2011 6:40:56 PM
Haven't had the time to pick this up the past few days, but I will get back to it soon I'm sure. As always, thanks for the tip.
---
#8toritoritori247(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2011 6:52:48 PM
Still haven't finished this. Mostly to a lack of spare time. What little I have played I went ahead and leveled Magic more (had to relearn Swap for everyone, as I had unlearned it after maxing HP/MP thinking that was all it was good for).

Still need to just go on through to get Leon, and I'd at least like to get him built up a bit. I know it's overkill, but for some reason I do have fun building stats on this game. ATM, Firion and Gus have all 6 main stats maxed besides AGL. Firion has 89 and Gus 80 IIRC. Maria has all but STR maxed, and I have that up in the 70s now. I know it can't hurt to go ahead and get Ultima as well (which I assume I'll give to Maria) and level it.

EVA and MDef still have room for improvement, though again it's likely not needed. Firion and Gus have 6 EVA, Maria has 4. Firion has 10 MDef, Gus and Maria 9. I figure those may go up more when I'm doing a bit of leveling on Leon.

Any recommendations as to how to gear the party best? I was thinking of having Firion and Gus with heavy equips (even though they are great casters now too) and Maria with light equips in the back row casting. Leon will just be more backup than anything.

Other than recommendations on gear, one more quick question. Do stats go above 99 with equipment boosts? I.E. if Firion has a 99 Base STR, and I give him Titan's Gloves, does it still register as 99, or does it go up to (an unseen) 109? Just curious, as if it does go above 99 that could factor into the gear question as well.

I know I'm a slacker, but I should have this done by the end of the year at worst, though I know I'll be spending the next few days with family. Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all advice. Happy Holidays to all :-)
---