A Level cap for the Weapon classes and Magic Spells?

#1Gamer364Posted 4/20/2012 12:50:16 PM
I read on Onionkid's Leveling guide that the Cure spell should be at Level 16. I also read on that same guide that Haste is a worthwhile buy and I should "Level it to the moon!" I'm not sure what the level cap for the Weapon classes and Magic Spells is if their is a level cap. My question is: Is their a level cap for the Weapon Classes and Magic Spells and if so, what level is it? I want to believe it's 16, because that's how high I'm willing to take Cure (or any other spell for that matter) up to and that's the only high number I see on that guide. I know that this question is best left for GameFAQs Answers, but the Answers tab for this game (last I checked anyway) doesn't seem to have a lot of questions on their and I'm afraid it'll never be answered if I tried to put it their.
#2silktailPosted 4/20/2012 6:05:17 PM
I read on Onionkid's Leveling guide that the Cure spell should be at Level 16.

It only recommends getting it to Level 16 over the course of the whole game. (Quote "level it as your characters' HP rise".)

Now if you were playing the game normally, then you probably would have finished the game before it reached level 16. But I guess if you wanted to follow the "Leveling-Up FAQ", then you probably weren't planing to do a simple playthrough with normal progression.

My question is: Is their a level cap for the Weapon Classes and Magic Spells and if so, what level is it? I want to believe it's 16,

Maximum skill level is indeed 16.
---
#3Gamer364(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2012 6:51:49 AM
Now if you were playing the game normally, then you probably would have finished the game before it reached level 16. But I guess if you wanted to follow the "Leveling-Up FAQ", then you probably weren't planing to do a simple playthrough with normal progression.

About that, I feel like I wouldn't be doing myself a favor by going though the game normally, because of the way the Leveling System in this game works. I mean, I can understand trying to make it realistic, but you shouldn't have to beat up your allies to make them stronger HP wise; that's not how an RPG works (not to me anyway).

Maximum skill level is indeed 16.

Thanks for the level cap, though that was the only answer that was necessary (although, you do offer a vaild point about what you said, you really did).
#4silktailPosted 4/21/2012 4:12:06 PM
I feel like I wouldn't be doing myself a favor by going though the game normally, because of the way the Leveling System in this game works. I mean, I can understand trying to make it realistic, but you shouldn't have to beat up your allies to make them stronger HP wise

? But going through the game "normally" means that you would never beat up your own allies. That is actually another tactic recommended for over-powering your characters.

(I guess I wasn't clear that by "normal playthrough" I meant how the game was designed to be played, rather than the usual way most people play it.)

Instead when you find yourself under-powered you just fight lots of tough battles, ideally using the skills that you will want to use later.

I.e. If you are losing lots of HP per battle, then HP will grow anyway. But if you aren't then you can just cure the damage and carry on. Likewise skills get more skill-exp as the battles get tougher and only stop when they are too weak.
---
#5AnnihilatedPosted 4/23/2012 4:01:57 PM
silktail posted...
I feel like I wouldn't be doing myself a favor by going though the game normally, because of the way the Leveling System in this game works. I mean, I can understand trying to make it realistic, but you shouldn't have to beat up your allies to make them stronger HP wise

? But going through the game "normally" means that you would never beat up your own allies. That is actually another tactic recommended for over-powering your characters.

(I guess I wasn't clear that by "normal playthrough" I meant how the game was designed to be played, rather than the usual way most people play it.)

Instead when you find yourself under-powered you just fight lots of tough battles, ideally using the skills that you will want to use later.

I.e. If you are losing lots of HP per battle, then HP will grow anyway. But if you aren't then you can just cure the damage and carry on. Likewise skills get more skill-exp as the battles get tougher and only stop when they are too weak.
---

That would be fine except you can't win those battles or run away from them.
#6silktailPosted 4/23/2012 4:33:03 PM
That would be fine except you can't win those battles or run away from them.

What battles? Tough battles?

By tough I mean the toughest battles which the party can still handle. The battles only slowly get more difficult as you progress through the game.

I.e. You might go from killing say Goblins to Soldiers to Wererats to Land turtles, etc, etc as you power up. Not do a straight jump from Goblins to Malboros & Black Flans.
---
#7squarepoxPosted 4/24/2012 10:59:40 AM
Gamer364 posted...
I can understand trying to make it realistic, but you shouldn't have to beat up your allies to make them stronger HP wise; that's not how an RPG works (not to me anyway).

See, I believe that it is this style of skill/stat progression that makes FF2 truly special.

This is the only RPG that allows you to "train with other party members almost exclusively."

It's awesome, misunderstood and I love it.
---
Modern Country Music makes more sense when high on Nitros Oxide.
#8lordjersPosted 4/25/2012 6:17:15 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]