It's sort of a "middle sibling" or "red-headed stepchild"

#21KingJames304Posted 8/19/2010 4:38:10 PM
Well Ness it doesn't really bother me on the Anniversary Collection, but to people that play it on the NES it cuts out all the music while it fills up and is odd.
Mega Man 4 is so perfect that's the only flaw I can list.
---
PSN: ModelJames13
Challenge me to fighting games.
#22NessEggmanPosted 8/19/2010 11:16:41 PM
I only play this game on the NES, but IDK, I just seriously never have been bothered by it. And when people point it out I can only go O_o

But yeah, I totally get what you mean... if you HAVE to list some problem with MM4, it would have to be that, huh :) Because I can't think of anything else wrong with it :)

---
Just wake me up when Tokimeki Memorial 4 is announced.
g Rod "hing RodCopper Fishin For fishing.
#23radblastPosted 9/14/2010 10:00:44 AM
While 4 and 5 both have their share of problems, and there are many more glitches in each not listed, I also notice that in 4, the graphics seem so large, blocky, and simple (the original SMB had better graphics, IMO). The music also seems rather cheap in this one, and I don't like many tunes that much. All the others have a significant number of tunes I like. And the life meter filling in this one was bad. Not only was it annoyingly long, but the cutting out of the music just made it worse.

In fact, I wonder why the developers don't copy paste in a lot of the MM games. So much of the stuff that you can do in each of the games works a bit different. I just don't get it.

I also don't like you the Rush Marine gets used even less in this game than the 3rd (not that it was used much there, either, but, still...). The changed jet certainly wasn't that good, nor were the hassles of "interrupted riding" on it.

Now that I think of something...how do you gusy compare the graphics and songs with the others?
#24zuschzeroPosted 9/15/2010 2:09:06 PM
The graphics is definitely a step up from Megaman 3, there are a total 3 area where the background is mostly black: Toad, Dust and Ring. But I have to say, in these stages, the black backgrounds fits the atmosphere of the stages, unlike in Megaman 10, where you ask yourself on Pump and Wily stage 2: where's the background?
I'm pretty sure the rush jet is originally planned in Megaman 3 in that way they did in 4,5,7,9,10. The rush jet in MM3 is broken, it's obsolete the rush coil. Also, it doesn't use any energy if you jumping on that.
I will never understand what's wrong with the music, there are total 3 weak tracks: Skull, Dive and Dust, all the other music is awesome. Shame on you, if you don't like Toadman's or Ringman's theme. The overall soundtrack is not as good as in MM3, but it's pretty much on one par with 2, 5, and 9's soundtrack.
The level design in MM4 was a HUGE improvement, a lot of stuff on the stages, I love the stage gimmicks, the grasshoppers, the drift sand, the undulating water, the rainbow bars etc.
Megaman 1, 2 and 3 is FAR MORE glitchy, just take a look on some TAS runs. Especially 3: a lot of slowdowns, input errors, debug features of the second controller etc.
Megaman 4 has the best weapon arsenal on the NES, using a special weapon is almost always a better option than using the charge shot.
I admire the Rush Marine is more useless here, than it was in MM3. The rush marine is by far the worst utility in Megaman's history.

Oh, what a long post. So overall, Megaman 4 is damn near perfect in every possible way. Megaman 4 is the game what Megaman 2 wanted to be. Some people try to find reasons really hard to trash this game, but those are all empty reasons.

Play, compare, and notice all of it's awesomeness!
---
Megaman 9 all 8 boss in a row flawless with just the mega buster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGAcYOPtoM
#25radblastPosted 9/17/2010 1:09:23 PM
I can't remember Ring Man's or Toad Man's songs. Really, I just remember the 2 battle songs, the auto-scroll stage, and the ending. This is not true with the other Mega Man games. This simply reinforces that this game's music wasn't anything special to me.

MM3 had glitches, sure, but MM4 is just as bad (unless you were meant to fly like a superhero with the Wire in the auto-scroll stage). I also disagree on the Rush Jet in MM3. Remember the Jet Sled in MM2? Well, the Rush Jet was clearly meant to be a different object (else Item 2 would still exist), and the design of some parts of the stages reinforces this (trying to reach a high ladder versus a far-off ladder). MM4 and 5 then reverted back to the Jet Sled form, just with slight control over its direction (and royally screwed with it in 6, but that was just meant to be).

I also strongly dislike the final ending song while I'm thinking of it. MM2's was far superior, IMO.

I still like this game, and I still play it from time to time, as with the others, but it is the least favorite to me.
#262000doublePosted 10/8/2010 9:15:49 PM
I gotta say 2 and 3 are really overrated. 3 especially is just a bad game with bad level design and a horrible weapon selection. I'm so glad I read zuschzero's review and checked out this awesome game after 3 nearly made me give up on this series.
#27zuschzeroPosted 10/9/2010 3:05:19 AM
Woah, thanks for reading my review.
---
#28NessEggmanPosted 10/12/2010 8:47:20 AM
I can't remember Ring Man's or Toad Man's songs. Really, I just remember the 2 battle songs, the auto-scroll stage, and the ending. This is not true with the other Mega Man games. This simply reinforces that this game's music wasn't anything special to me.

I think the composition of MM4's music is pretty amazing. The biggest problem a lot of people have with it is that, despite it having good structure, it isn't catchy. It's the same problem people had with Final Fantasy XII's soundtrack (which had the most well-composed music in the series IMO, but also the least catchy). People feel that because they can't remember the melodic line the same way that they remember the melody to pop music, it is "bad" or "forgettable."

It's just simply that the music isn't catchy. But I think the quality of composition and the way it fits with the game and how good it sounds are all different qualities from that "catchy" quality.

Now, it could be very well that the MM4 music didn't sit will with you. But I just wanted to point out that I think it's a bit less catchy than a lot of music in the series, especially compared to the first 3 (and especially MM2) which had very catchy melodies.

But I still think the music in MM4 is quite superb and well-composed for NES music.

---
Just wake me up when Tokimeki Memorial 4 is announced.
g Rod "hing RodCopper Fishin For fishing.
#29SpoinkRulezzPosted 10/21/2010 2:48:06 PM
Ah look, someone who perfectly worded my opinion on MM4's music. Because I actually want catchiness, or epicness, in my 8-bit MM tunes, MM4's soundtrack isn't one of my favorites in the series, but I seriously consider it possibly the best one from a purely musical standpoint.

Although, I wouldn't say Skull Man's theme is one of the three weakest themes in the game. Skull Man's theme manages to be well composed, varied, epic and even catchy (everyone can hum the beginning of the theme). I also disagree with Dust, even though it's one of my personal least favorites (which is more due to instrumentation), is objectively a great track. I agree with Dive though, that could have been amazing but it sounds empty and I don't like the climax.

That said, MM4's strongest music isn't even in the RM stages. The castle stages are amazingly good in terms of music, all four stage themes are nearly flawless. It has easily the best, longest and most epic final stage track (boss rush and the little stage before Wily Capsule) in the classic series, a fittingly epic wily capsule theme that may be very short but gets all the notes right in those 12 seconds that it lasts, epic castle intro's...actually, I've always found MM4's climax (from Cossacks castle onward) quite special. The stages are too easy, but I think no other MM game has a better climax than MM4 in terms of musical progression and atmosphere.

I personally also like the Boss theme and Stage Select, they're slighly repetitive and maybe even annoying to some, but they're easily the most serious and dark ones in the series and seriously, fighting some of the RMs wouldn't have been quite as daunting if it wasn't for that boss theme. As a kid, I was always afraid to battle Bright Man because the boss theme made him even more intimidating.

Of course, the intro theme and title themes are great as well. Maybe the RM stages are even the weakest part of MM4's soundtrack, even though it's still great. Every other track in the game is outstanding.
---
YOU GOT
THE PLAN
#30zuschzeroPosted 10/21/2010 3:43:34 PM
Dustman's theme is kinda like "love it or hate it", but yeah Dust is possibly my favorite in my "least favorite" musics from 4. Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't find Skullman's theme great. I find it boring.
I have to disagree with "RM musics are the weakest part of the soundtrack", because as I said before, I think Dive, Dust and Skull doesn't reach the "Megaman level", but Toad, Ring, Bright and Drill does.
I swear, Pharaohman theme is not just reach the level, but that's the best RM music in the ENTIRE series for me!
---