How do I get the reflect spell?

#1ECWMANIACPosted 9/27/2008 8:21:30 AM
In the hints and cheats section it says "Find the child in the origin of the river in the maze and take him to Darunia". I brought him to the woman and I went down to the basement or whatever and the not-so-wise man tells me to "Come back when you're ready". How do I know when I'm ready? I beat the first, second, third, and forth or fifth palace, whichever number was the water palace. Can somebody help?
#2ocwPosted 9/27/2008 8:30:49 AM
What is your current Magic Level and the number of magic bars do u have?

If I remember correctly, I did manage to get the spell with a Magic Level of 5 (or 6, I can't remember) with only 6 magic bars.

If your Magic Level is low, u may want to get that 3rd magic container on the Maze Island first for a total of 7 magic bars. This should allow the old man to give u the reflect spell.
#3TTFPosted 9/27/2008 10:37:53 AM
Either you don't have enough Magic Jars or your magic level isn't high enough.
#4basser2204Posted 9/27/2008 6:55:07 PM
The only variable that is off is the number of magic containers you have found. Magic level makes no difference. You need to find a total of three (3) magic containers to receive the spell, which will give you a total of seven (7) magic bars.
---
Ever play Super Mariokart? Check out this site.
www.mariokart64.com/smk ... Join up!
#5ZzonkmilesPosted 9/27/2008 9:24:00 PM
Basser is correct. Magic level is irrelevant because you could do a 1-1-8 game, for example.

The magic jar restriction is in play here because there are some spells that cost so much MP that you can't use them at all if you don't have enough magic jars to begin with.

Anyway, Reflect is a very important spell. Test it out on many different kinds of projectiles.

---
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Zz (my hack), Dragon Quest 8 (J) (PS2), The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Next up: Dragon Quest 7 (J) (PS)
#6ocwPosted 9/27/2008 9:29:16 PM
Not true, basser2204. I have gotten the Reflect spell with only 2 magic containers (ie 6 magic bars).
#7TTFPosted 9/28/2008 5:50:24 AM
You need Reflect to beat Level 4...beyond that, it's a useless spell really.
#8ZzonkmilesPosted 9/28/2008 7:25:59 AM
Reflect is the only way to kill the magicians in the 4th palace. They also defend against fireballs, axes, and clubs. That's useful, IMO, though experienced players don't need to use it for this purpose.

---
Currently playing: Final Fantasy Zz (my hack), Dragon Quest 8 (J) (PS2), The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Next up: Dragon Quest 7 (J) (PS)
#9basser2204Posted 9/28/2008 6:47:12 PM
ocw man, you know everything about this game and are always reliable, but I'm just not sure about this one. I remember my first time through the game and I had my magic up to 6 and I still needed the extra magic jar. Ever since then, though, I've gone to the island and rescued the child then got the magic jar, and then went to the town. So I guess I can't say I've tried to get the spell with 6 bars and a high magic level. You wanna test it to figure out the minimum level?

I bet you're just like me and it's been a while since you tried to get the spell with only 6 bars, true?
---
Ever play Super Mariokart? Check out this site.
www.mariokart64.com/smk ... Join up!
#10LashenyaPosted 9/28/2008 7:52:27 PM
It requires five magic bars to learn fire

six to learn reflect

seven to learn "Spell"

and eight to learn Thunder.

It's a tier system. OCW is correct.

(tier system in that, if it were possible, you would need to one to learn shield, two for jump, three for life, and four for fairy, had you not started out with four)

---
A Diablo movie would be the most boring...It would be 30 minutes of rushing to Hell and two hours of MFing
My brother