What are some good games that play like this?

#1PurestProdigyPosted 8/17/2012 8:20:28 AM
Like bite off this style completely or have a similar one?

Just realized after looking at the trailer for the new Adventure Time game that I haven't played a lot of games that steal this game's style even though I've played a ton of clones of the original LoZ.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#2DragonAtmaPosted 8/17/2012 9:15:44 AM
Battle of Olympus is somewhat similar. It's not a perfect match, but...
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#3KeryAdamsPosted 8/17/2012 12:16:34 PM(edited)
There's Rambo for the NES. I'm not sure it's a good game, but the style's not too far off. There's a lot of sidescrolling melee combat, going through the woods fighting spiders... lol.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has sort of a similar gameplay style, but obviously a totally different aesthetic. Oh, and it's impossible.

Deadly Towers plays something like the first Zelda, and is also impossible, and in no way a good game. The music's alright, I think.

That's all I can think of right now.

Edit: I just thought of one that's kind of similar. Little Ninja Brothers - it's an RPG of sorts, but only boss battles are done in your typical RPG menu fashion. The rest is an isometric overworld with sidescrolling action fights. I think it's a lot of fun, too.
---
GT/PSN: Owngineer
Currently playing: Rocksmith, Castlevania SOTN, Metroid (NES)
#4aeepahzieoiPosted 8/18/2012 3:29:34 AM
That's the thing... there are no other games that rise to the level of Zelda II. That's why a Zelda II Classic would be so great.
#5DeletronPosted 8/18/2012 6:37:19 PM
Castlevania II is somewhat similar to this, though it's not nearly as good. Still, it's probably worth checking out.
---
Rocking the Higgs Boson.
#6ZzonkmilesPosted 8/18/2012 6:44:16 PM
What about Faxanadu?
---
[OF] Zzonk / PSN ID: Zzonkmiles / MKW: 5456-6092-6685
Download my Final Fantasy Zz (Hard Type) hack at http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/803/
#7WOCPosted 8/21/2012 5:11:40 AM
Ys 3
---
"I killed him... with a SPOON!!!!"
#8DrumguyPosted 8/24/2012 4:15:43 PM
Deletron posted...
Castlevania II is somewhat similar to this, though it's not nearly as good. Still, it's probably worth checking out.

I could see that - it's not nearly as challenging as Zelda II though.
#9Cruelle_PoesiePosted 8/25/2012 12:42:47 AM
C'mon guys, StarTropics.
#10jfki11aPosted 8/27/2012 3:00:41 PM
Secret of mana-evermore are similar in mechanics, but are less linear in the dungeons and such. If you can play only one go for secret of evermore.
---
Who took the chicken off the plate and put it in the fridge?