Worst. Zelda. Ever. Of All Time.

#1FellcPosted 1/17/2013 4:21:27 PM
This game was designed purely to piss you off and be difficult.

There's no fairness or equality, no consideration even toward the player. Monsters are designed with one goal in mind, and that is to be as absolutely inconvenient to you at all times. There's nothing to figure out. There's no strategy. It's just pure frustration.

I've been playing games for 25 years. I've played and beaten every Zelda game but this one. . . and I never will.

I tried downloading this game for my 3DS, thinking it would be fun and enjoyable like the original Zelda I got a few months back. Boy was I wrong.

Do not ever get this game if you're looking for a casual Zelda game to play. THIS IS NOT THAT GAME!

Props to everyone who ever beat it. And my sympathies to you as well.
---
Welcome to the internet, you must be new here. Let me introduce you to my friend sarcasm... he hangs out here all the time =)
#2zoogelioPosted 1/17/2013 5:02:13 PM
Someone hasn't played Link: Faces of Evil or Zelda: Wand of Gamelon.

And, even if it was the worst Nintendo-made Zelda ever, it's still in the top quarter or third of all NES or Nintendo console games.
#3BareknuckleRooPosted 1/17/2013 8:06:39 PM
It's far from a purely bad game, it's just significantly different from your typical game. Exploration's not that boring and I can think of far worse platformer/adventure games released for the NES. You haven't really mentioned any specific parts of the game and the whole "there's nothing to figure out" is clearly false as there's a few puzzles, upgrades, etc to be had.

The only really irksome thing I can think of is EXP draining enemies motivating you to stay in one area and grind to each level instead of questing ahead and risking losing lots of built-up exp.
#4The_BonesPosted 1/17/2013 8:31:08 PM(edited)
This really isn't a bad game. I consider it to be one of my favorites actually. The only bad thing I can really possibly think of is that some of the stuff is pretty secretive and you probably won't figure it out without a guide and those are plentiful nowadays. The combat is fun yet still challenging at parts. Controls are responsive and stabbing and jumping are both fluid. Sure there are a few parts where enemies are kind of set up to knock you down a hole but there are generally ways to get around those parts either with careful timing or magic. The gameplay may be different from other Zelda games but its far from a bad game and is one of the better sidescrolling action games for NES.
#5basser2204Posted 1/17/2013 10:10:43 PM
The title made me laugh. Just another trolling hater that spent twenty minutes playing and got killed by bots and said it sucked.

Interestingly enough, this game is one of the fairest and most balanced on the NES, possibly of the whole Zelda franchise as in all games that followed you're way overpowered. You level up and enemies get tougher as you go, or you can level up fully and laugh at your enemies as they cower before your might. And with the most difficult enemies you fight them one at a time. You are never given a room full of darknuts and statues that shoot fireballs at you constantly, you just have to fight a single ironknuckle or doomknocker and that's it. I think it's actually quite a bit easier than LoZ. If this game were really as difficult as TC claims, there wouldn't be any of us crazies that beat the game at 1-8-1 or 1-1-4 or in less than 90 minutes. Or how about the video of the dude that did a no damage run? Difficult game? Nonsense.
---
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.
#6Tycho_of_BrahePosted 1/18/2013 11:17:08 AM
About this game ...

Even Nintendo seemed to realize their mistake in producing this game. As viewers say that it is "very different" from the first Zelda Nintendo picked up on this negative feedback and returned to the well-liked Zelda I features in all their subsequent games.

To those who maintain their liking for Zelda II they should hold on to that game because it's unlikely Nintendo will ever produce a similar game.
---
Never drive faster than your angel can fly.
#7RaiuPosted 1/18/2013 2:37:00 PM
I didn't even know that this was supposed to be the "worst Zelda ever" at the time. I thought it was great - hard, but great. I played through it a dozen times, if not more.
---
-Raiutaryuu-
#8SeferagaPosted 1/18/2013 9:51:21 PM
Zelda II was my first video game ever, after Super Mario Bros. So there really is no way I could've hated it for biased reasons. (plus I was like 5 years old so I didn't know how) :p

I love this game.

I'm actually the opposite in that I feel Zelda 1 was inferior to Zelda 2. I just thought everything in Zelda 2 was so much better! Except the lack of items, though. That's really the only negative thing I can think of.
---
Don't get so caught in your ways that you can't change..
#9bachewychompPosted 1/19/2013 11:54:08 AM(edited)
Monsters are designed with one goal in mind, and that is to be as absolutely inconvenient to you at all times.

Isn't being an inconvenience kind of the point of enemies in video games? Would you like this game better if there were no enemies or traps and all you did was walk around finding palaces and walking through the palaces until you found the item and placed the crystal?
#10MelirunePosted 1/19/2013 9:19:32 PM
bachewychomp posted...
Monsters are designed with one goal in mind, and that is to be as absolutely inconvenient to you at all times.

Isn't being an inconvenience kind of the point of enemies in video games? Would you like this game better if there were no enemies or traps and all you did was walk around finding palaces and walking through the palaces until you found the item and placed the crystal?

The title screen and game select menu are absolutely inconvenient to you at all times, all they do is get in the way of the inconvenience of not having the win handed to you.
---
I smell sxding cadty, bear. Who's that toucehnding my pillare?
Who's that giving mightly shrungs in my direction? Lacuna, this dsobnent be a dream!