What would make this game better?

#1SeferagaPosted 1/19/2013 3:42:09 PM
This topic is mostly to bring more life to the Zelda II board, but I also really talk about what would make Zelda II even better? :)

Try to keep it simple. Like bombs. Bombs could add a lot of depth to this game! This may or may not have have any impact on what I'm working on...
---
Don't get so caught in your ways that you can't change..
#2aeepahzieoiPosted 1/19/2013 6:44:19 PM
The first thing that pops into my mind when I encounter this question is to have an overworld that Link is able to travel from place to place more freely. It would be interesting if the player wouldn't have to "unlock" new areas of the overworld (by getting items and spells), but instead have access to most of it from the beginning, just like the first Zelda.

This is just a persistent idea I have. No idea if it makes any sense from a gameplay balance perspective.
#3basser2204Posted 1/19/2013 10:55:45 PM
Bombs, yes. Would they just be used in the overworld or in caves/palaces as well? They would be a little limited in that you could only bomb a dead end wall on the left or right side of the screen in palaces.

A new ironknuckle (any color) that constantly throws swords. Like after you hit a blue IK and he throws eight at you but then pauses, just make him throw constantly. Would make people think twice about jump-slashing and force you to fight legit, using quick reflexes and a keen eye instead of a cheap trick.
---
In the beginning you will see a black square. This is actually a cave. Make Zelda walk into the cave and get the Brown Sword. The rest is easy if you have it.
#4aeepahzieoiPosted 1/20/2013 12:36:37 PM
By the way, I really liked Link's dash ability that was in one of your games. It added some variety. This reminds me of how somebody made a video showing off a lot of ASM modifications that altered the enemy patterns in cool ways, including their movement speed, if I recall correctly. That was neat.

But you're right. Anything that is a relatively simple concept that could add some depth to the game would be a very welcome addition.
#5Seferaga(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 4:03:11 PM
The open world map is an interesting idea. But don't you think it would take the fun out exploring maybe? That is a tough one. The original Zelda did it well, though. Zelda II would have to have a bigger world map for that to work, I think. If maybe West Hyrule was the size of all of Zelda II maps put together?

A new Iron Knuckle would be awesome! Having it constantly throwing swords is a great idea to prevent jump slashing. But what about removing jump slashing altogether? Would that make Zelda II less fun?

The bombs would be hard to implement. But they could be used on more that just dead-end walls and world map mountains. Like finding hidden passages in floors, statues, grottos in the grass. How about bomb jumping? Haha. (of course you'd get hurt but the extra height could help you reach those "higher than jump spell" places.)
---
Don't get so caught in your ways that you can't change..
#6aeepahzieoiPosted 1/20/2013 4:55:15 PM
Well, I remember somebody saying that there is a way to double the size of the world map.

What about elemental swords that allow Link to discover new ways to pass obstacles? Replace the less interesting spells with Fire, Earth, Air, and Water swords.
#7GoombacrusherPosted 1/20/2013 7:13:23 PM
A better save system. Having to reset from the beginning every time you get a game over is just a waste of time and adds nothing to the game
---
http://i.imgur.com/VQTIb.png
Press Left to brofist.
#8aeepahzieoiPosted 1/21/2013 6:11:20 AM
That's a good idea! I imagine a save system like the one Super Metroid has. That would be an extremely welcome enhancement, and if implemented with enough care, could enable the gameplay to have more depth, as well.
#9ILoveEverythingPosted 1/21/2013 8:10:14 AM
Seferaga posted...
The open world map is an interesting idea. But don't you think it would take the fun out exploring maybe? That is a tough one. The original Zelda did it well, though. Zelda II would have to have a bigger world map for that to work, I think. If maybe West Hyrule was the size of all of Zelda II maps put together?

A new Iron Knuckle would be awesome! Having it constantly throwing swords is a great idea to prevent jump slashing. But what about removing jump slashing altogether? Would that make Zelda II less fun?

The bombs would be hard to implement. But they could be used on more that just dead-end walls and world map mountains. Like finding hidden passages in floors, statues, grottos in the grass. How about bomb jumping? Haha. (of course you'd get hurt but the extra height could help you reach those "higher than jump spell" places.)

If bombs are in limited supply and mountains are in abundant supply, I can already imagine having to bomb every possible rock in the overworld to find secrets, with no way of telling which ones can be bombed. Unless you can implement a "hit the wall with your sword and it makes a different sound" type of mechanic as well. But then, it would still be tedious. Townsfolk can help you, or the rock formation itself could hint at a bombable wall, but still... I think bombs wouldn't make the game more fun.

As for the jump slash, I personally (ab)use it all the time. The game would be notably harder without it. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on the type of game you want to make.

A cool thing would be to implement a projectile weapon, similar to the sword beam when you're at full health, except usable in limited quantity. With the removal of the jump slash, and modifiable enemy speed, it would change combat radically, especially if it works against tougher enemies, like the axe-throwing red guys from death mountain.

Actually, the spell system could be completely reworked as an item system. Bombs, bow and arrows, wand, etc. Given the mechanics of how magic is used, all items would share the same pool however, which I'm not sure can be worked around.

If it can, you could implement the items from the first game, which would be a fun throwback IMO.
---
Yawn
#10aeepahzieoiPosted 1/22/2013 10:18:06 AM
How about if Link was able to freely change into a fairy and back again as many times as desirable, instead of being stuck in that form until he leaves the screen? That might be used for puzzles or challenging gauntlets.