Help with Helmethead?

#1suprsethPosted 1/19/2013 8:14:56 PM
So, I'm in the swamp Palace (which i'm pretty sure is the 2nd one) and I having an insanely difficult time with the boss. I cannot for the life of me get him below his first 'bar' of health. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
#2The_BonesPosted 1/19/2013 9:31:24 PM(edited)
Use shield and do a jumping crouch stab to his head. You can also get the life spell before you go there if you haven't gotten it already and if you get the hammer there is another heart and magic container you can get but if you're having trouble with the boss you'll probably have trouble getting the hammer.
#3aeepahzieoiPosted 1/20/2013 11:40:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4ILoveEverythingPosted 1/21/2013 6:49:12 AM
The trick is to maintain a proper distance from him, block the fireball he shoots at you, then jump slash his head once, and back up to your initial position.

If the floating heads shoot at you, back up even more and try to dodge.

You should stand at about 3-4 steps (link's width) away from him.

You can see the technique's application here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n80S_WXys5o

Note that the player took hits only when he was impatient and went for a slash without first blocking the fireball. So be patient!
---
Yawn
#5TTFPosted 1/22/2013 12:26:19 PM
Or if you're really having trouble, go get the Hammer and then head east of the Palace to the Shore Town and get the Downward Stab ability, and use that and Jump spell when fighting Helmethead.
---
I set the laser printer on stun
#6ChaseXtremePosted 1/23/2013 3:15:35 PM
The_Bones posted...
Use shield and do a jumping crouch stab to his head.

This is my strategy. I can get three to four hits in a matter of seconds. Then I have to wait a few because I've hit him out of the side of screen. I'm usually around sword level of five, though
---
Woman Of The Week: Trinity
http://www.lethalwow.com/images/trinity19.jpg
#7DrumguyPosted 1/24/2013 5:37:21 PM
ChaseXtreme posted...
The_Bones posted...
Use shield and do a jumping crouch stab to his head.

This is my strategy. I can get three to four hits in a matter of seconds. Then I have to wait a few because I've hit him out of the side of screen. I'm usually around sword level of five, though

You don't have to crouch stab. You can just jump and slash in his direction and it'll register a hit. This move works well with a lot of enemies in the game.
#8commodore_zekePosted 2/9/2013 12:24:29 AM
I'm with TTF. Anyone having trouble with the game should go for Down Thrust as early as possible. Getting it is a pain, but having it makes all the difference. It slaughters Helmethead, makes tons of other enemies easier, and just generally makes the game more fun.

I think a lot of players assume, as I did my first time through, that you should tackle the second palace as soon as it's accessible. It's like Final Fantasy for NES -- there are a few places you can go after beating Lich, but the natural thing to do is take on Kary. When you know the game better, you know you can make your life much easier if you instead go for the Ice Cave (the Death Mountain of FF1, a pain whenever you do it) and get the Airship, which breaks the rest of the game wide open and makes Kary a breeze.

All games are like this to some extent; you pick up tricks as you go. But it's a pity that the learning curve for these two is so steep. Many's the player of Zelda II or FF1 who ends up quitting because it's too hard... and never learns how to make it easy.
---
FiveMinute.net: because stuff is long and life is short
#9BlairPosted 2/9/2013 1:45:18 AM
Isn't the natural tendency to explore as soon as you're able? For experienced video game players I assume this is the case.

Personally I like to do palace 2 after the hammer, Mido etc, meaning I go straight from 2 to 3. If anyone chooses to use down thrust against helmethead (or any other enemy for that matter), press down rapidly as you connect with him for a bunch of extra hits per attack.
---
xfdsharks
#10ZzonkmilesPosted 2/9/2013 11:53:42 AM
To me, the obvious question is what are your levels? If you are new to the game, an attack level of 3 or 4 is typically what you need in order to do well in the second palace. Make sure you cast Shield (but not Jump). Then stay back, block one of his energy balls that he shoots out, then rush him and jump while crouching like someone said earlier. Then back off, block another energy ball, and rush him again. Hastiness is a sure way to die here because of all the projectiles.

As for completing the palace before or after Death Mountain, I'd imagine it's easier to do Palace 2 before Death Mountain than it is to do Death Mountain with really low stats (as in post-Palace 1 stats). Put another way, entering Palace 2 at levels like 3-3-4 is easier than entering Death Mountain at 3-3-4.

Oh, and are you finding all the secret red magic jars in Palace 2? Use your sword to strike some of the statues!
---
[OF] Zzonk / PSN ID: Zzonkmiles / MKW: 5456-6092-6685
Download my Final Fantasy Zz (Hard Type) hack at http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/803/