Board FAQ - Look Here for Answers

#1brennisteinPosted 9/21/2013 2:04:20 PM
Does the K.O. counter on the file select screen keep track of the number of individual lives I lose, or just the number of times I get a Game Over?

It's just the number of times you get a Game Over. Unfortunately, it's not possible to save without increasing your K.O. count.

Note that this value actually resets every time you start a 2nd Quest.

Does the game save the number of extra lives I collect?

Unfortunately, no. The game *does* keep track of which Link dolls you've collected, so if you collect them, then save and reset, you won't be able to pick them up again. It's best to leave them alone until you approach the Grand Palace; that way, you can stock up on extra lives right before finishing the game.

One of the villagers says, "I AM ERROR." Did my game just glitch up?!

Curiously enough, this is actually the character's name. Some people think it's a translation quirk while others insist it's an intentional bit of humor on the developers' part. There's a similar character named BAGU, which a transliteration of "bug."

There are several walls of blocks preventing me from going farther into the Swamp Palace. Attacking them doesn't seem to have any effect. What do I do?

You need to collect the Glove treasure from the palace. It allows your sword to destroy these blocks.

How do I get across the river in Saria?

Head north of the village and explore the woods just above the bridge. You'll stumble upon a secluded cabin where BAGU lives. He'll give you a note to show to the river man in Saria, who will then raise a bridge across the river.

Note that there are a lot of hidden enemy encounters in these woods, so you may have to do a little searching to find the cabin. If it helps any, the cabin is precisely in the center of the woods.

How do I destroy the boulders blocking some of the roads?

You have to find the Hammer at the end of the Death Mountain maze. (Good luck!) To reach Death Mountain, you have to bring Bagu's note to the River Man in Saria before he'll let you pass.

I completed the Swamp Palace, but I don't know where to go next. Where's the third palace?

In the small patch of swamp in area west of the Swamp Palace, you'll find a cave. Enter it and grab the Water of Life. Bring this to the old woman in Mido. She'll let you inside where you can speak with the old man in the basement to learn the FAIRY spell.

Find King's Tomb in the graveyard south of Mido. It's the isolated cross toward the middle of the graveyard. Head directly south of it until you drop down into a hidden cave. Use the FAIRY spell to fly up the corridor and be taken to the island where the palace is found.

Where do I find the missing kid?

In the Island Maze. He's in a hidden cave along the rightmost path, just below the Maze Palace.
#2brennistein(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:06:06 PM
The Grand Palace is too confusing, and I keep hitting dead-ends. Is there an easier route I can take?

You'll often find paths forking left and right. Just remember this order: Left, Right, Right. The rest is pretty intuitive.

If you still have trouble figuring out where to go, there are probably a couple of other things that aren't really obvious. One, there's a room where the floor is covered with destructible blocks, and several statue heads are flying across the screen. If you destroy the blocks, you'll eventually fall through an invisible pitfall, leading you to the next section of the palace.

Two, there's a rather obvious hole in a room with a destructible bridge. You need to fall into the hole to be taken to the last section of the palace. This one appears immediately after the aforementioned room.

How do I damage the Thunderbird? (a.k.a. the first boss of the Grand Palace) My attacks won't even hit it!

You have to cast the THUNDER spell to expose the boss' face, then you can stab at it when it descends near you.

Is there an easier way to defeat Link's Shadow?

Cast the SHIELD spell then duck in the right corner. Persistently stab as the shadow approaches you. It will often jump back and forth, making itself vulnerable.

Where can I find more Heart and Magic Containers?

There are four of each. Some are found later in the game after crossing the ocean to reach the Eastern Continent, so you won't be able to collect everything immediately.

Heart Container #1 - South of Parapa Desert (where the first temple is) lies a narrow path leading to a small wooded area. In the middle of the woods is a Goriya and the first Heart Container. You'll have to cross a couple of side-scrolling scenes with pitfalls and deadly bubbles to reach it.

Heart Container #2 - After you acquire the Hammer, explore the area northeast of Saria, just past the boulder that separates the north and south sections of the map. There's a cave directly east blocked by another boulder. At the end of the cave lies the second Heart Container.

Heart Container #3 - After acquiring the Boots from the Maze Palace, you'll be able to walk across certain parts of the ocean. This will actually be mandatory to reach the Ocean Palace east of Nabooru. As you begin to cross that section of the ocean and head toward the palace, take a detour slightly north, then continue to proceed east. You'll enter a short side-scrolling area where the third Heart Container is hidden.

Heart Container #4 - After acquiring the Flute from the Ocean Palace, press B while standing in front of the River Devil (the black spider-looking creature below Nabooru) to destroy it and proceed to the next section of the map. Head southeast to the beach and walk along the right edge until you find a hidden Heart Container.

Magic Container #1 - Slightly southwest of the North Palace (where you begin the game) is a cave. Although the cave will be dark if you don't have the Candle in your inventory, it's pretty easy to navigate without it. The first Magic Container lies at the end of the cave.

Magic Container #2 - After acquiring the Hammer from Death Mountain, you'll notice a boulder next to the hole where the Hammer was located. Stand next to the boulder and press A to destroy it, leading to another hole where the second Magic Container is hidden.

Magic Container #3 - As you're exploring the Island Maze, search the leftmost path toward the middle of the maze. You'll drop into a cave where the third Magic Container is hidden.

Magic Container #4 - Find the village of New Kasuto. It's hidden in a patch of woods at the end of a cave in the Eastern Continent. You'll have to use the Hammer to destroy a block of trees and reveal the village. Use your JUMP spell to climb around the rooftops and find a chimney you can descend into. Inside the house's basement is the final Magic Container.
#3brennistein(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:06:50 PM
How do I learn the downward and upward stab techniques?

You can learn the downward stab from the Dragoon found in Mido. Use your JUMP spell to reach the top of the cathedral and enter the door. The Dragoon is waiting for you in the basement.

The upward stab is learned from the Dragoon in Darunia. You'll notice several chimneys on some of the houses. Use the JUMP spell to climb the rooftops and find the chimney you can descend down. The Dragoon is inside.

What does the SPELL spell do?

Cast it while standing in the dead-end in New Kasuto. It will cause a large door to rise from the ground. Inside the door lies the Magic Key.

You can also cast the spell on enemy groups to turn them into slimes.

What's the best place to grind experience points?

The wooded areas around the Three-Eye Rock Palace, near Kasuto. You'll find orange Lizalfos, which are worth 200 exp. each. Using the jump-thrust trick, you can defeat them pretty easily.

Another trick is to defeat the bosses of each palace, but don't return the crystals to their shrines. As you'll note, returning a crystal to its shrine causes you to gain a level instantly. You can actually exit the palace and return much later on for a few quick level-ups.

What's this "jump-thrust" trick?

It's an exploit used to attack shielded enemies. Jump, then as you're about to land, thrust your sword at the enemy's face. This will usually bypass their shield and damage them. It takes a bit of timing, but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Is anything different in the 2nd Quest?

A Triforce symbol appears next to your file, and you get to retain all the spells and levels you earned during your previous playthrough. Aside from that, there aren't any differences - none of the palaces have been rearranged, the enemies aren't stronger, etc.

-------- END OF FAQ --------
#4simpoldoodPosted 9/21/2013 3:52:41 PM
brennistein posted...

Cast the SHIELD spell then duck in the right corner. Persistently stab as the shadow approaches you. It will often jump back and forth, making itself vulnerable.

It's the LEFT corner, not the RIGHT.
---
Zelda II Live Stream - twitch.tv/simpoldood/videos
youtube.com/simpoldood
#5brennistein(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 3:59:49 PM
simpoldood posted...
brennistein posted...

It's the LEFT corner, not the RIGHT.

D'oh! I'll have to edit that part later, as I'm not a high enough level to edit my posts yet.
#6BlairPosted 9/22/2013 11:35:29 AM
Another correction to be made is that an orange lizalfos is 150 exp as opposed to 200.
---
xfdsharks
#7brennistein(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 12:14:16 PM
Blair posted...
Another correction to be made is that an orange lizalfos is 150 exp as opposed to 200.

I may be off on the actual values, but I know the order of least to most experience goes red, orange then blue. Maybe it's 100 for the red, 150 for the orange then 200 for blue.

I remember thinking it was odd how the red lizalfos was considered the more difficult encounter in that region, yet they didn't award as much experience.
#8BlairPosted 9/22/2013 12:28:17 PM(edited)
brennistein posted...
Maybe it's 100 for the red, 150 for the orange then 200 for blue.

That's exactly right. And yeah it would probably make more sense if the values for red and orange were reversed even though IMO killing a red one is as at least as easy as the orange ones.
---
xfdsharks
#9DrumguyPosted 9/22/2013 9:15:05 PM
Blair posted...
brennistein posted...
Maybe it's 100 for the red, 150 for the orange then 200 for blue.

That's exactly right. And yeah it would probably make more sense if the values for red and orange were reversed even though IMO killing a red one is as at least as easy as the orange ones.

Oddly enough the red ones always took one more hit than the orange.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl