This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best gaming experience... SNES vs DS vs PS

#1Merciless_LightPosted 8/27/2010 7:21:04 PM
I wanna hear people that played at least 2 of them.
I'm trying to figure out on which console I should buy it, since I'm a huge RPG fan and I didn't have the chance to stop on this one yet.
#2New_PantsPosted 8/27/2010 7:45:55 PM
I've played on SNES and PS1. I'd definitely say SNES, because the menu and battle slowdown of FFC really messes with the flow of the game, but if it's you're only option than the PS1 version would be fine. The added cutscenes are a nice bonus, and the slowdown is terrible enough to make the game unplayable, you just have to be a bit patient.
---
~SamuraiChicken~
There's a fine line between stupidity and insanity. Will you cross it?
#3tri sapphirePosted 8/27/2010 8:00:31 PM
The PS version had some nice cutscenes, but the slowdown before every battle and when opening the menu just kills it.

The DS's additions were interesting, but the smaller screen size takes a little away. And if you've got the nostalgia factor in there, the small alterations to some of the attacks (lack of inverted color for some, and definitely the lack of the Dark Matter sound effect) might be a bit of a turn off for some.

Conclusion (IMO),

Factoring in nostalgia: Tie between SNES and DS

No nostalgia: DS

---
"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed...I must simply laugh!!."- Magus
#4chrishu311Posted 8/28/2010 12:36:51 AM
SNES all the way. Everything will forever be compared to it. No emulator, port, or fan project can honestly play as well as the good 'ol cartridge.
---
"Nothing is perfect. The world turns on a tilted axis just doing the best it can, and that's what makes it so damn beautiful." --Roy Mustang
#5menschmaschine5Posted 8/28/2010 10:27:04 AM
In all practicality, get the DS version. You're going to have trouble tracking down the SNES version unless you decide to play it through somewhat less legal means. Also, nostalgia will not be a factor, since you've never played the game before, so the changes to the translation in the DS version won't matter to you (the DS re-translation is very arguably superior, that is more accurate and more grammatically correct, and the only complaints I've seen about have been that it's not the same script they remember as kids [the "they changed it, now it sucks" syndrome]). Plus, you get the advantage of portability with the DS version, and some extra dungeons, albeit not very good extra dungeons.

Although, really, either the SNES or DS version will do fine. Just avoid the PSX version.

and definitely the lack of the Dark Matter sound effect

That sound effect was annoying. I'm glad they changed it.
#6tri sapphirePosted 8/28/2010 5:28:44 PM
^^^

That sound effect made the attack. I was so pissed off that they removed it (as well as the lack of color inversion with Dark Bomb).

Your CT fan card should be revoked.
---
"If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed...I must simply laugh!!."- Magus
#7menschmaschine5Posted 8/28/2010 7:30:09 PM

Your CT fan card should be revoked.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't aware you had to like everything about the original, including the annoying things, in order to join your little exclusive fan club.

Seriously, that's kind of pathetic. So you liked the sound, I didn't. What's the big deal here?
#8Rasb_BurrisePosted 8/28/2010 8:43:04 PM
DS is really the best way to go.

Extra optional dungeons and bosses as well as keeping all the important things from the SNES version.
I mean, the "super" optional boss might actually surprise you and kill you the first few times you try.

And then you still kill him in a No Exp game with ease, lol.

Arena of Ages is nice and optional, but completionists will absolutely hate it. Mirror and Arcana drops are absurd. Of course, AoA allows for a true No Exp game, which is always great.
---
so nanoka~
4469 2090 1680
#9W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 8/29/2010 12:20:23 AM
In all practicality, get the DS version. You're going to have trouble tracking down the SNES version unless you decide to play it through somewhat less legal means.

Playing the SNES version "through less legal means" defeats the whole purpose since you won't be experiencing the original then. The sounds and music are different on an emulator, and the technically the graphics were meant to be seen with scanlines.

Anyway, the DS version has a refined menu which is much better than the SNES one.

---
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.
#10modatiPosted 8/29/2010 7:51:01 AM
I like playing on an SFC just because it is in Japanese that is fun. Little learning experience too. Other than that the DS really is nice with how it is setup. The new menus are pretty smooth in all honesty. Playing on the SNES/SFC a few times for the heritage of the game would be a must. However I would say all repeat plays should be on DS just for the enjoyment of the new GUIs.
---
____,.-'`) (V)0DATi (`'-.,_____