Differences?

#1pecaprez1Posted 11/23/2009 12:39:05 PM
Hello everyone.I have bought this game used for $20 at game-stop.
I had the Collectors edition for Zelda that came with my first Game-cube.
Now, it has been a while since i played OoT on that disk, because it got very scratched up and eventually stopped working altogether. When i started playing this yesterday, i noticed either;
A.Things i haven't noticed before
or
B.Things that are completely different from the collectors edition.
Does anyone know if there are differences?

oh and btw i beat all 3 of the first kid temples yesterday.
ill probably try master quest if i finally beat OoT .
#2silktailPosted 11/23/2009 4:58:01 PM
Things that are completely different from the collectors edition.
Does anyone know if there are differences?

This version has one file for the 3 OoT & 3 MQ saves. Collectors edition uses a smaller file for just the 3 OoT saves.

Otherwise it's the OoT games are the same in both.
(And Master Quest obviously has the different dungeon setups.)
---
#3LinkTheLeftyPosted 11/23/2009 5:37:13 PM
You mean differences between the original and the GCN version, or the Collector's Edition and the Master Quest? Because I made an extensive list of the former:

1. The graphics themselves aren't enhanced, but the framerate has been bumped slightly at a consistent rate and and less often (there's a noticeable skip when you access the pause screen, which takes a second longer to load), the draw-in distance has been rolled back slightly (not a lot), and things are generally a lot less fuzzy-looking than on the N64 (the increased sharpness doesn't make 2D objects blend in as well, however, but it's negligible). Basically it looks overall better even if the graphics weren't touched.

2. You know the original Gerudo emblem, the one with the crescent moon and star? In this version, it has been replaced with the updated version from Majora's Mask and subsequent games (it even appears in stained glass in The Wind Waker). This is rumored to be because it used to resemble the unofficial symbol of Islam. So the things like the Mirror Shield have the new, symmetrical design. A crescent moon still appears on the Hookshot markings.

3. There seem to be some very few graphical mistakes fixed. I noticed that the Gerudo that appears after you best the four guards in the Gerudo Fortress no longer changes the color of her outfit depending on what type of tunic you wear. Now, she only wears red, much like her counterpart in Majora's Mask. Some effects also seem to have more clarity, but that may be because of the enhanced resolution.

4. This is based more on Version 1.2 on the N64. So this version has the most bug fixes, one or two text adjustments, has Ganon spitting green blood, and also contains the revised Fire Temple theme (which IMO is a little creepier, as the "humming" now sounds otherworldly, when before it was sampled from a live Islamic prayer of praise which doesn't really fit an evil dragon's den, but you'll always get those "it was cooler before" people).

5. Just some minor visual things here, but of course, there is a new menu which allows you to choose which mode of play you want (original or Master Quest [which has another logo], or select a trailer). It has something that was missing from the original Ocarina of Time - the traditional Zelda theme. It ends with a remix of the A Link to the Past title tune, then loops again. You can also select to use the GCN's internal vibration to take the place of the Rumble Pak (which you want to keep since unlike most N64 games the rumble can be useful).

6. Miscellaneous, but saving is a tad bit longer than it used to be. When it saves, the screen cuts to black without sound while it gives a new "saving to memory card" message. The in-game text for the controls were changed to mirror the GameCube's buttons (playing the Ocarina with the C-Stick is not that bad, by the way, but it takes getting used to). C-Down, Left and Right are alternatively mapped to Z, X and Y, which works for items. All instances of "Z Targeting" was also changed to the GCN's "L Targeting," so we get the "Hole of L" rather than the "Hole of Z" at the beginning of the game. Also, you get three saves for the original game and three saves for Master Quest. Lastly, when you pause, there is a new fading out effect as the subscreen loads up (probably a result of being on disc).

7. The Scarecrow's Song does not play after the ending. It may still do that as a bonus for the Master Quest (I'm not sure yet), but it's been taken out of the main game.

Outside of the number of blocks it takes to save, Master Quest and the main game in Collector's Edition are exactly the same. The Collector's Edition is just missing the titular Master Quest mode.
---
I guess Sephiroth's motivation for fighting is to find his backpack. ~ Kovvo
#4pecaprez1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2009 12:15:21 PM
i know that Master Quest is harder(i tried it first and quit to try and beat OoT first).
it was between Collectors OoT and this ones.
More topics from this board...
oh geezXine919/14 12:21PM