Game of the Month Club

#1GaryOvervoldPosted 9/11/2007 5:36:14 PM
Hey a few months back someone had the idea of everyone playing one game by emailing the first turn save file. Anyone interested?
---
He sewed his eye shuts because he is afraid to see, he dreamed his god up and called it Christianity. -Heresy
#2VesticlePosted 9/27/2007 6:48:42 PM
You mean everyone play from the same starting point, or everyone taking 1-turn each?
#3GaryOvervold(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2007 7:08:11 PM
As a group, we'd decide on the game conditions (difficulty, world size, opponents, spellbooks, retorts, starting race) and we'd have individual games starting from turn 1. So, we'd all have the same game but we'd play it differently. Then, I guess we'd have a topic where we'd talk about how we approached things, see how each game turned out, compare scores, etc ...
---
He sewed his eye shuts because he is afraid to see, he dreamed his god up and called it Christianity. -Heresy
#4VesticlePosted 10/10/2007 8:19:41 PM
Sure, I'll give it a go. We probably wouldn't get as many people as I'd like, but I wouldn't mind going through several different starting combos and seeing who can do what with each one.
#5skytravelerPosted 10/15/2007 9:32:43 PM
I would be up for this.
---
Look, I'm trying to be a gentleman about this. Just get down on your knees and stick your ass in the air.
-Jack Nicholson (The Two Jakes)
#6GaryOvervold(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2007 7:42:12 PM
Ok well somebody needs to organize this.

---
#7skytravelerPosted 10/16/2007 10:19:17 PM
Well, we just need to establish the starting criteria here and then someone can email the turn 1 savegame around to the other participants. I can do the latter part if need be although I need some instruction on which save it is. I have one save that I can see in game right now but a save1.gam and a save9,gam in the directory; I assume one of them is an autosave.
---
Look, I'm trying to be a gentleman about this. Just get down on your knees and stick your ass in the air.
#8PeterzzzPosted 10/17/2007 7:24:03 AM
Sounds cool. What are the rules, saves loads etc?
#9OldAlchemistPosted 10/17/2007 11:19:32 AM
There really ought to be a gentleman's agreement that there's no save scumming, else what's the point?

I'm not going to have time to play, but I'll happily come up with an interesting starting setup and set of rules.
#10skytravelerPosted 10/17/2007 2:27:53 PM
I don't think the "save scumming" is an issue unless you want to view this as a competition of sorts. There is apparently a mod for this game that allows you to play against other players so I don't think that is the premise here. It's more a matter of relating our different playing experiences under a shared scenario. Liberal use of saving tends to remove a certain degree of caution (I do habitually save before attacking a city, but I don't use it much beyond that) but it shouldn't have a large impact on the overall development patterns and tactics. Regardless, I'd agree to such a gentleman's agreement so long as the difficulty isn't on impossible because frankly, I'm not crazy about overly defensive tactics early in the time line.

If you'd like to set up the criteria, I'll make the file. I'll need:

The game settings, the character portrait, books, attributes, starting spells and race. As soon as someone educates me as to which save file I need to copy, I can email the 1st turn save around as requested.
---
More topics from this board...
Hellosomebody33614/11 3:12PM