ITT: I talk about playing Gaiden for the first time (SPOILERS)

#1PantheraPosted 2/11/2011 6:21:21 PM
For whatever people visit the board of an ancient game no one has played :)

I'm in Chapter 2 right now, about to fight Dahha (Darha? Dahra? I can't quite remember). So far, it's been fun. The interface is annoying primitive but I'm more or less used to it now. I'm noticing that accuracy seems to be very low in most cases, which is a bit unpleasant, but I do like firing arrows at people from half a mile away. Not too much else to comment on really, any random advice, suggestions, stuff worth knowing for a first time player?
---
Mistake you're making - overlooking the fact that we might not want to be "saved"
#2BintaPosted 2/11/2011 10:34:33 PM
Terrain (trees, mountains, water, etc.) will drastically decrease your accuracy. Recovery tiles are included as terrain.

Oh and in graveyard fights, attacking someone who's positioned on a tombstone will be horribly inaccurate.
---
"If drumsticks are for playing drums, you'd think breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn't you?" ~George Carlin
#3Panthera(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2011 12:51:45 PM
Yeah, I figured that out at some point when I noticed any enemy that stood on something became invincible. Almost as bad as FE5 thrones! Thankfully no +10 defense boost.

...please don't tell me there's a +10 defense boosting terrain anywhere.
---
Mistake you're making - overlooking the fact that we might not want to be "saved"
#4Panthera(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2011 2:36:07 AM
And now chapter 3 is complete. Holy hell Celica's route was a jump up in difficulty from Alm's. Alm fights a vaguely nasty bow knight and a bunch of idiots. Celica fights a ridiculous archer swarm in a desert, and then fights Geyse and his ridiculous durability and speed and his back up army of a million billion bonewalkers the shaman spawns almost as fast as I can kill them. Definitely glad to have that over with, but it makes me worry the next chapter is going to get even more ridiculous about throwing bosses out who take nearly a full team assault to kill while also dodging half of everything you throw out.
---
#5RuneForumwalkerPosted 2/13/2011 2:21:39 PM
You can just have Jenni cast Dear to get rid of most, if not all, of the summons. Problem solved.
---
And also NBA Live Gamers
#6Panthera(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2011 4:30:58 PM
That would also require grinding for half a lifetime, given how slow leveling is in this game.
---
#7BintaPosted 2/13/2011 5:45:47 PM
Best way to grind for Cellica's army:

You know the village where you can recruit Atlas? Save just before leaving, and see what you fight in the graveyard. If you're lucky you'll fight just Zombies and Mummies (they look alike, but you can tell there are Mummies when there are more; if it's just Zombies there will be fewer enemies). Mummies give INSANE exp to anyone who kills them, and they are not hard to handle at all.

For some reason this strategy doesn't work if you enter said graveyard from the other three paths that link into it.

Similar strategy, if you remember the large cave near the fortress Alm rescues Teeta, there's one room with Mummies. Alm's army can gain massive EXP in no time that way.
---
"If drumsticks are for playing drums, you'd think breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn't you?" ~George Carlin
#8Panthera(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2011 8:23:13 PM
I noticed the Mummy room in that shrine. Pretty nice. I liked that place in general, it's like the game felt sorry for throwing some tougher enemies at me and decided to make up for it by showering me with awesome items. Though now I'm a tad pissed that Alm is trapped with dragon zombies charging at his group periodically, and it's a little difficult to adequately prepare for that when you don't know it's coming. Hope it doesn't get any worse, or at least if it does, the jackasses start heading towards the characters that can deal with them much more easily instead of the group of useless people. I hate not having a formation screen beyond "order units on the list and pray they end up where you want them".
---
#9BintaPosted 2/14/2011 8:58:58 AM
Have you promoted Claire/Clea yet? Give her an item that boosts her defense and/or heals her each turn, and send her out in the open. Most of the dragons should come to her, and let them attack (if you're playing on emulator initiating an attack as a Flying Knight sometimes glitches). If there are any dragons who fly past her and go after your weaker characters, hopefully Silk can cast Dear. If not, hope for the best and expect the worst.
---
#10Raas EarlPosted 2/14/2011 9:13:49 AM
Leo has a big edge against dragon zombies, which are vulnerable to arrows.

In fact, I promoted another merc into an archer and used two arrow shooters to gain leverage against these pesky hard hitting giants.

Other than that, the angel spell and high defense units blocking access to weaker defense characters is the key to killing them in the hope that a very powerful dragon shield (grants +13 to def and magic def) drops [0.055%].

Deal just eliminates them and the fun of the challenge IMHO.
---
www.vampz.net "Join in this new undead community!"