Just a check to see who still plays this game ...

#1JTDutchPosted 10/23/2009 9:18:55 PM
... I'm getting back into Iron Storm, and I'd enjoy hearing from some other people who continue to play this classic game. It would be awesome to get a thread going and hear about different strategies that people use in their campaigns. If there's enough demand for it, I'll start up a screenshot "Let's Play" style walkthrough of the game, with day-by-day tactics of each battle. Let me hear from you!

J
#2mister playboyPosted 10/23/2009 11:44:29 PM
Greetings... I purchased a Sega Saturn years ago just to play this game. Currently I've been playing DSVII Exceed on the PS2, and I greatly enjoy that game.

I'm a big fan of air power, but I've recently come to appreciate how weather can really mess up an air-centric strategy... a rainy day can really mess up my strategy when I've got divebombers ready to strike into the enemy lines.

My main gripe with this game is the poor choice of scenarios available in Normal mode. Several of them are boring and not well suited to multiplayer due to imbalance (e.g. Balkan Ops, Malay, Indonesia) between the opposing forces. Using the System cheats to allow any side to be played in Campaign can get around this, but it takes a long time to set up.
---
"Teach not that I died in vain; rather, teach that I did not die by demonstrating that I live in you." --- ACIM
#3JTDutch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2009 12:27:22 AM
Hey, what's up ... yeah, even a cloudy day can mess up air ops, which makes things pretty difficult early on in the German campaign as planes are needed right away in France to get ready for the Battle of Britain.

Who do you usually use in the campaigns? Just wondering. For me, I suppose I prefer the Germans, but the American campaign is fun as hell and more challenging than people think.

I can't remember the last time I played on Standard mode, to be honest. Multiplayer works fine in Campaign mode, and yeah it does take about a couple minutes to set it all up, but it's a blast to be able to play as the British in the Battle of Britain or as the Soviets in the Battle of Moscow. I want to try to incorporate those perspectives in my play-through. The depth of this game is amazing.