Differences between NA reprint and orignal print

#1dragonm99Posted 5/6/2010 4:16:06 PM
I bought the Atlus reprint of this off Amazon for $30 without knowing about the loading and freezing issues the reprint copies have. I managed to deal with those issues for most of the game, but I don't think I can take it anymore and I'm interested in getting a copy of this game that won't freeze on my PS3 or take 5 seconds to load a character model in the menu. So, I was trying to find out how I can tell if the copy I'm buying is a reprint copy and I couldn't really find anything definitive.

Is there something obvious like a serial number or manufacturing date that I can use to identify the first print?
#2DevhatesyouPosted 5/7/2010 6:06:12 AM
Sounds like you just got a bad disc. Reports of "reprint issues" are really just one-off defective discs that have nothing to do with the reprinting of the game and could have easily occured in the original run.

The game disc in the reprint versions is identical to the original down to the fact it still has "Disc 1" printed on the print-side surface. The game should load almost all things instantly on a PS2 or original backwards-compatible PS3. Mine sure did when I got a reprint copy of this.

The real differences are:

- Original version had a Soundtrack CD.
- Original version's disc case was obviously designed with one of those extra disc carrying pieces you can clip into the case, for the soundtrack.
- Reprint has Black&White manual with color cover.
- The backside of the cover art has a little bit which says "INCLUDES SOUNDTRACK CD" in the original. Not there in the reprint.

Digital Devil Saga's reprints are similar, too. Except they have full color manuals, I think.

---
Hee to the ho and we gotta go... This ain't lookin' good ho sheezy yo!
Shout it, don't devour it, hee ho -- we're screwed!
#3dragonm99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2010 1:50:37 PM
Hmm, I was told that the freezing and load-time issues were from the reprint copy. If that's not the case, then I guess I'll just buy another new copy from Amazon?
#4UponADarkThornePosted 5/7/2010 6:27:27 PM
My re-print works fine - always has,
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#5DevhatesyouPosted 5/7/2010 9:36:03 PM
You just received a bad disc is all. I played my reprint through for all endings (3 actual playthroughs, 200 hours or so) and never had any load time or freeze issues.

---
Hee to the ho and we gotta go... This ain't lookin' good ho sheezy yo!
Shout it, don't devour it, hee ho -- we're screwed!
#6HollowNinjaPosted 5/8/2010 10:34:33 AM
My reprint works perfectly.
---
http://backloggery.com/hollowninja
PSN: DJ_iLLi_iLL Spiral on! http://sites.google.com/site/thedaigurren/
#7ChunkyMonkeyLOLPosted 5/9/2010 5:35:56 PM
80gb MGS4 bundle user here, reprint works fine, can't think of a single time when it froze on me or anything and I'm in the last dungeon. So I guess you must have just gotten a bad copy.
---
I wish I had my own Succubus...
The flatter the chest, the closer I am to her heart
#8MurphysGhostPosted 5/10/2010 9:08:17 AM
I think the issue is that there were a fairly high number of bad discs in the reprint. At least, going on my own experience...

I still have my original copy, but a friend of mine who lives in another state had borrowed it when the reprint came out, so I went and picked one up- and it had major loading issues. I exchanged it, and still had issues. Exchanged it one last time and got a good one, that works perfectly.