Does this game have puzzles?

#1RPGOverlord61Posted 5/10/2012 12:58:48 PM
I just got this game today and am new to the series.
Thanks.
#2Diavalo88Posted 5/10/2012 1:34:07 PM
For the most part, not really. There are some very minor puzzles in 1 dungeon, and one dungeon that is a massive puzzle. Some might say that some dungeons are complicated enough to be considered a maze, but you have a map and they aren't THAT big.

None of the puzzles are that difficult anyways.
---
I use more ellipses then any person should ever need to..... ever.
Veni Vidi Vici - Julius Caesar
#3RPGOverlord61(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2012 1:42:00 PM
Sounds good! I grew up on Final Fantasy and Mega Man, and for whatever reason, the DQ series didn't really interest me back then. I didn't decide to give these games a go until fairly recently. If it's traditional and doesn't go overboard on puzzles, I'm sure I'll like it.
Thanks for the quick response, by the way!
#4hiilikepie12345Posted 5/10/2012 4:02:50 PM
I found that there wer quite a few dungeons in DQVIII, but none were too hard, maybe time-consuming.

Referring to the massive puzzle mentioned by Diavalo88, that puzzle is extremely time consuming, but somewhat fun, even if it is a little bit frustrating.

Most of the puzzles are actually fit into the game well, they make some sense, not just random puzzle room after puzzle room (I'm talking about the Crow one).
---
The Metal King Slime flees!
#5hiilikepie12345Posted 5/10/2012 4:02:50 PM
I found that there wer quite a few dungeons in DQVIII, but none were too hard, maybe time-consuming.

Referring to the massive puzzle mentioned by Diavalo88, that puzzle is extremely time consuming, but somewhat fun, even if it is a little bit frustrating.

Most of the puzzles are actually fit into the game well, they make some sense, not just random puzzle room after puzzle room (I'm talking about the Crow one).
---
The Metal King Slime flees!
#6drclaeysPosted 5/11/2012 6:03:17 AM
Friends,

this game is simple and good. You will enjoy it.

Have you played Wild ARms?? That game has puzzles up the Wazoo. I have to quit that game, so many times, because all of the jumping and shooting, and stuffing being just right.

You will enjoy this game.

Good luck.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#7AndvareelPosted 5/11/2012 6:24:44 PM
Haha, but Wild ARMs mostly uses micro-puzzles. There are a few macro-puzzles, but they're pretty rare. Yeah, my made up terms, but micro-puzzle means it's pretty much done in a single room, or maybe a few ones in a small area, while macro refers to those where the whole dungeon is one big puzzle and takes mapping and notes to make sure you've cleared all the paths, or perhaps consists of 2-3 sections of those kinds of massive multi-room puzzles. At least the recent Wild ARMs games are fairly random encounter friendly too- in WA3 you can (if your exploration's been up to par), more or less cancel most random encounters. In WA5, puzzle rooms are (usually if not always) encounter free.

Of course there's a certain brilliance and charm to certain well made macro-puzzle dungeons, but I think they're generally more annoying- especially if there are random encounters and they can't be disabled somehow. Shadow Hearts is full of them- both of the annoying and brilliant variety, but alas, you're pretty much mauled by constant random battles throughout making even the brilliant ones a little bothersome.

DQ8 is more about exploration than puzzles... you look around until you find a lever or the correct path or whatever.