Favorite SCCs and Other Challenges

#1Shadow_FF6Posted 4/1/2009 1:49:04 PM
What are your favorite challenges of all the ones that you've done (In whole or part)? Simple enough premise, so here I go into mine...

Geomancer SCC - Geomancers have a solid mix of abilities, Strong Melee, ranged AOE attacks and status effects. You can even heal with Ice Swords and Shields. However, the game is still reasonably challenging. Elemental is relatively weak, especially when the status effect isn't one of the more debilitating ones, and rarely worth using on bosses unless you can catch a henchmen in the blast. The poor health of clothes are offset by shields however. All in all, a reasonably challenging run with a class most people don't use.

Oracle SCC - Easily the most versatile class for SCC. Melee Damage? Check. Status Effects? Check. Range Attack? Check. MASSIVE Damage for Zodiac Beasts? Check. Healing? Check. (Incidently, those last three are all Drain Life. That spell is awesome.) Despite being able to do everything you need, however, they are still fragile. Drain Life does allow for healing but you won't be taking many hits in between refueling (especially as Drain Life rarely has a solid success rate). The various curses are beautiful, ranging from the quick, reliable Don't Act to the slow and sketchy, but instant killing Break. You get a strange version of Red Mage out of this class. Just make sure enough enemies are too stupified to hurt you. And enjoy that 999 damage per shot on end game bosses.

Archer SCC - Archers are simultaneously simple and complex. While they can't do anything but do damage, they're rather versatile in doing it. The can take a longbow, or use a shield alongside a crossbow or bare fists. This gives good options for how you play a battle, whether you seek high ground and rain death, or get into the fray. Heck, it's plenty easy to put a couple of Shield using archers in the front lines to keep the longbow uses free of attacks. Versatile only in one thing, they still end up a good run, although thier job ability actually gets worse as the game goes along, saddly. Incidently, you never notice how very many archers are in this game until you have arrow guard as one of your two reaction abilities. Seriously, it's halarious.

Interesting note to Lancer and Ninja SCC. Lancer is so easy (Do to heavy armor, reraise, jump, 2-range attacks and hiding w/ ignore height) that I gave up partway through chapter 3. Ninja was easier than a regular run through the game, but not as boring as Lancer.

Anyway, thats mine. I've been wanting to start a new challenge or SCC, so I've been hoping to get an idea. Thanks for posting!
---
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
#2_Mogri_Posted 4/1/2009 4:28:16 PM
If you want a fun SCC, do Dancer. Just remember that fists > cloth.

But since you've already done several SCCs, my personal recommendation is a TDD or SSCC. Try a different challenge. (The interesting thing about SSCCs is that it's a real relief not having to worry about your teammates boxilizing.)
---
Make your own games - ask how at Slime Salad
http://www.slimesalad.com
#3Shadow_FF6(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2009 6:18:22 PM
I'd actually like to do a Dancer SCC, but I'm playing on a PSP. The slowdown isn't normally bad, but it gets HORRID with 5 dancers :D Tactics Double Dare sounds interesting (I'm familiar with the rules), so maybe I'll give it a run. I'm thinking Geomancer/Samurai (Georai) and White/Black Mage (Blite Mage). But thats without considering secondary abilities.

Not a huge fan of SSCC though. It just doesn't sound fun (Amusing though it would be to crush the field with just Monk Ramza). While it's true that I don't have to worry about crystalization, it's not exactly replaced with a better problem :D

Still, it is cool to hear other peoples favorite challenges. If you've done TDD, what did you do it with?
---
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
#4chessjerkPosted 4/6/2009 8:49:53 PM
I still refuse to believe any SSCC's are possible on the PSP port. The new Argath battle in chapter 4 has got to be damn near impossible for most classes, I would think.
#5MelodiaPosted 4/7/2009 9:47:15 AM
I wonder if any are possible with the level cap killed?
---
Always Remember, Green Hair Is Cool.
#6_Mogri_Posted 4/7/2009 1:39:50 PM
I still refuse to believe any SSCC's are possible on the PSP port. The new Argath battle in chapter 4 has got to be damn near impossible for most classes, I would think.

I haven't actually played it, but my understanding is that the difficulty is a combination of two factors:
- Mirror Mail
- HP Restore (plus reasonably high Br)

If that's the case, any physical class that's able to OHKO him or 2HKO him without putting him into critical would be fine. Additionally, certain classes just don't care about either one. Mediator, Bard, Squire, and Dancer can bypass both factors through various means.

Finally, Time Mages can use Meteor, and I think he's actually vulnerable to a variety of statuses, so Geomancer could have fun with the battle, too.

Can you explain why this battle is considered such a blocker?
---
#7darklegion1325Posted 4/8/2009 1:18:49 AM
In addition to said reflect mail and restore HP, he also has the help of about 5 ultima demons, 2 of which are within striking range of the party right in the beginning of the battle. In addition to this, he also has only 25 faith, so mage classes really can't go for huge nuke damage to oneshot him.

In addition, doesn't he have defense up? I'm definitely not certain on it, but I think with my chemist SCC run, I remember guns doing less damage, and I'm almost certain I wasn't bad compat with him with all of my guys.

Time mage.... Well... You'd get 1 meteor off, and then he drains his health back from you. You are definitely not oneshotting him because of the 25 faith.
---
SCCs Completed- Ch, Or, Sm, Ge
SCCs In Progress- Pr
#8_Mogri_Posted 4/8/2009 9:54:13 AM
The War of the Lions FAQ agrees with you on the Defense UP.

So it does sound like he's a serious threat to a lot of SSCCs, but it's a real stretch to suggest that no SSCC is possible because of him. Offhand, here are a couple of strats I'd try:

Ubersquire: Run away and Scream.
Thief: Run away and Steal Heart. Maybe steal his weapon if he gets close.
Bard: Run away and sing.
Dancer: Nameless Dance can turn anything on the map into a frog.
Mediator: Mimic Daravon can put anything on the map to sleep. This may or may not be helpful...
Ninja: Direct assault + Sunken State.
Calculator: Damage Split + sticks

Now, I couldn't tell you if any of these would actually work, since I haven't even seen the battle, but I'm reluctant to believe that Argath/Algus is a showstopper for ALL SSCCs.
---
#9Shadow_FF6(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2009 7:09:02 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10chessjerkPosted 4/8/2009 9:54:18 PM
Ubersquire: Run away and Scream.

...and get owned by Dark Holy, most likely, unless you can start OHKO'ing demons midcharge or something.

Thief: Run away and Steal Heart. Maybe steal his weapon if he gets close.

Even with charm, I can't imagine distracting 3 or 4 Ultima Demons long enough to steal his weapon and THEN killing him.

Bard: Run away and sing.

Sing what, exactly?

Dancer: Nameless Dance can turn anything on the map into a frog.

Assuming you can get off a Nameless Dance before getting owned by Dark Holy, I suppose that's possible.

Mediator: Mimic Daravon can put anything on the map to sleep. This may or may not be helpful...

The problem there is the Ultima Demons start way above you, IIRC, and none of them are next to one another. Putting one Demon to sleep likely leads to getting owned by the other 4.

Ninja: Direct assault + Sunken State.

None of the enemies attacks (besides their physical attacks) can set off Sunken State. Maybe bare-handed, max PA, double max-critical would be enough?

Calculator: Damage Split + sticks

I would be amazed if a solo-Calc even got this far in the first place. :)