so here's a simple question for yall

#1fading_starrPosted 5/27/2012 2:33:35 PM
what if I were to tell you that everything around you is completely colorless, would you agree with that statement or not? and why?

for some reason I posed this question to some friends this weekend and I got some very interesting answers, thought I'd ask you guys too.

to me the answer seems very logical or easy to understand, but for other people not so much apparently.
---
PSN: Eevil-Psycho [WTF]
Winners Think Funny clan
#2StogieKilmerPosted 5/27/2012 5:59:59 PM
Without getting into anything super philosophical, I would say that even though certain light may be hitting objects and reflecting back with the illusion of colors, I can say this: I miss my ex-girlfriend.
---
PSN: CaptHanJovi XBL: Capt Han Jovi.
Anticipating: Lollipop Chainsaw, Spec Ops: The Line, Metal Gear Rising, and The new Queens of the Stone Age album
#3BlazinDank4EverPosted 5/28/2012 3:16:11 AM
*gives Jovi a bro hug*

And when it does, try to never think about her again.

As to your query Psycho, given the option to disagree............ Well I was about to say I disagree because everything around me obviously has color but then I thought if everything around me was colorless that could be from someone elses perspective who is color-blind perhaps? Thats the answer right, you're color-blind.
---
Blazin
The Swisher Sweet Surgeon
#4PadreVPosted 5/28/2012 3:17:54 AM
I suppose one may understand things in that way... objects are actually colorless but something in their properties cause them to reflect certain parts of the visible spectrum of light and so we perceive them to be a particular color.

...mirite?
---
Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis. Si vis pacem, para bellum.
#5BlazinDank4EverPosted 5/28/2012 3:20:32 AM
Sorry I don't have a scientific grasp of how light is refracted in the visible spectrum if that was the point of this question. XD
---
Blazin
The Swisher Sweet Surgeon
#6StogieKilmerPosted 5/28/2012 3:24:27 AM
Tequila gives everything color.
---
Anticipating: Lollipop Chainsaw, Spec Ops: The Line, Metal Gear Rising, and The new Queens of the Stone Age album
#7fading_starr(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 4:06:38 AM
actually, Padre is spot on.

color is something contained within light, when light shines on an object, the object absorbs all colors except for one which it reflects. so it doesn't actually have a color, but it reflects one.

the reason i asked is because it seems to be not so easy to grasp for some people. or the concept of colorless is way above their head.. and they ask what the real color of the object is..

and then you gotta start explaining that the actual color of it is what we percieve as "darkness" which then makes them think it's black, which it isn't.

i thought it was an interesting subject to talk about, just for the reasoning some people put behind their argument as to why things aren't colorless.
---
Winners Think Funny clan
#8Nightcrawler___Posted 5/28/2012 4:12:07 AM(edited)
That would make sense. So when someone can't see a specific colour, they're basically just blind to whatever frequency of light is being reflected? Which would leave me then to believe, that when people are red and green confused or something like that, it means that those colours reflect at a similar frequency.
---
Raz [WTF]
"Good lord he's still going? He's like the Energizer bunny of ignorance and stupidity." - Trugu
#9StogieKilmerPosted 5/28/2012 4:19:46 AM
My post was worded poorly, but... I SED IT FURST.
---
#10fading_starr(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 4:24:45 AM
i wouldn't know about color blindness, it's a fault in the eye that causes you to not see the correct color, but the red-green thing I don't know why that is, as their frequency and wavelength is quite different..
---
Winners Think Funny clan