Single Character Challenge, the return.

#1gxxPosted 7/16/2012 1:45:04 AM
A long time ago I tried beating the game with one character (including no NPCs), mostly successfully, and posted about it on this board. I've ended up trying again, as I sort of talked about in my topic about whips.

Has anyone else done it? Curious as to your results.

A summary of this latest attempt:

Human/Mutant: Easy. Use martial arts in the first half of the game, grind for Mana and HP in the second half. For single targets, Psi guns do as much damage as Flare, which is good to know against Arsenal. Mutants are harder for most of the game (due to less HP) but having rechargeable spells is useful and Recover is extremely helpful in the last few boss fights.

Not much improvement over my previous attempt besides the fact that I basically ignored Str this time around, making for less grinding.

Robot: Starts easy, mass equip gauntlets and be invincible. Stays pretty easy until Edo, and then gets quite hard at Valhalla. Save all rare high-Str and Def equipment from Nasty Dungeon. Apollo needs Dad or a ton of bonus HP from the martial arts glitch. Arsenal needs a bit of extra martial arts HP, or a second robot.

I was able to beat WarMach and Odin with a solo robot this time, which I don't think I managed before. Also required much less martial arts HP.

Monster: Pretty easy with Amuseum's guide, would be much harder to do FAQ-less.
-Ignore all chests, and fights that aren't needed for meat.
-World 1 isn't hard, though Rhino takes a lot of luck.
-World 2 requires a switch of your active monster.
-Stone attacks take you far, up until Venus at least.
-Odin needs two monsters and you need to get Sleipnir's meat.
-Minion can be done with one monster easily.
-As soon as you lose your MAGI, your monsters take a serious reduction in power.
-Warmach can be done with one monster with difficulty.
-Apollo can be done with one monster but you need to switch the active monster again (to get a *lower* level monster!) and requires using Heart MAGI at the very end to heal yourself, unless you can get impossibly lucky...
-TianLung and Fenrir need two monsters, I think. No Hyper cannon...
-Arsenal does too. I thought I remembered something from Amuseum saying one Titania can beat Arsenal but I can't find it now, and I certainly wasn't able to do it myself.
-Oddly enough I hardly ever used Sprite-type monsters, one on Odin and at least one on Arsenal (although that might not even be needed).

It seems like you can run from any fight where running is possible with 100% success, if you've only got one character alive. This might be a byproduct of the chance-to-run calculations but I suspect it's by design. It comes in handy, especially with monsters who never need to fight except to get meat or kill bosses/minibosses, But even with other characters, you often want to run from everything when you're working toward a specific objective, like killing a boss or getting MAGI.
#2DragonAtmaPosted 7/16/2012 1:56:39 AM
Solo is a huge pain.

Maso the female mutant has 988 HP, 14/44 str, 0/43 def, 26/36 agi, and 32 mana... and still can't beat Venus.

Yes, I'm listing her stats both with and without the stat boosting equipment. No, I don't think there's a way to raise defense.

And for those who want to give this a try:

011026C2
011046C2
011066C2
011086C2

That'll petrify everyone except your first character.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#3gxx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2012 2:29:56 AM
DragonAtma posted...
Solo is a huge pain.

Maso the female mutant has 988 HP, 14/44 str, 0/43 def, 26/36 agi, and 32 mana... and still can't beat Venus.

You should be able to do it easily with that character. I can give you some hints, but maybe you want to figure it out on your own...

No, I don't think there's a way to raise defense.

There is a limited opportunity, at exactly one point in the game. It's definitely worth doing if you have a mutant.

How many mutant skills are you using? I found 3 was plenty, 2 would even have been preferable later in the game though it would mean resetting any time the 2nd one changed.

Also thanks for posting the codes, I had meant to do that. 011006C2 Petrifies your first character, if you're using monsters. Just make sure not to stone everyone at the same time...
#4gxx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2012 2:33:35 AM
Also I saw your topics in the FFL3 board. I was thinking of trying that next, though it interests me a lot less since the growth in FFL3 is predictable and even, and only unlimited with a human or mutant. (I think? Since non-humans only go up to 31, a level 60 monster has the same stats as a level 30 monster, IIRC...)
#5DragonAtmaPosted 7/16/2012 3:12:56 AM
Let's see what I have.,.,.

Gold Sword 40
Psi Sword 50
Flame 15
Cure 15
Hermes Shoe
Giant Helm
Giant Gauntlet
Giant Armor

I also have Kick 3 and X-Kick 5 in the item list. This should be more than doable, yet Venus always seems to absue the Blitz Whip... don't worry, I'll figure something out.

And yes, I have a history of beating games solo, including FF2j, FF3j, FF2, Ultima: Avatar, Ultima 7, Gemfire, FFL1, FFL3, and DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime*, plus I've come awfully close in FF1, and a couple others.

And then there's the NIS games and 7th Saga, where it tends to be EASIER with onmly one character, but...

* Aside from the final boss, becasue I don't have a DS gameshark or anything to disable Slival!
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#6AmuseumPosted 7/16/2012 7:57:08 AM(edited)
Solo Titania can beat Arsenal by abusing savestates and lots and lots of luck. It's impossible with other monsters even through this method.

Venus has a weakness. You can one-shot her.

---
5-suited Draw Poker for Android http://goo.gl/KhmXi 5-suited Solitaire for Android http://goo.gl/wXwlJ
http://shenafu.com/imgd/randomart/comic_bc.png
#7BareknuckleRooPosted 7/17/2012 1:16:04 PM
Interestingly, the attack you can one-shot Venus will also work on WarMach. It's easy to forget about it against Venus though because the moment she uses the Aegis she becomes immune to everything elemental, and so you need luck not only for the attack to hit but also to get it off before she uses the Aegis Magi.
#8gxx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2012 4:23:52 PM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
Interestingly, the attack you can one-shot Venus will also work on WarMach.

Now that is interesting, didn't think about it before. It also means that with a Monster run, when against Odin, you don't need to get Sleipnir's meat and you can shelve your 2nd monster afterwards until you beat Apollo.

It's easy to forget about it against Venus though because the moment she uses the Aegis she becomes immune to everything elemental, and so you need luck not only for the attack to hit but also to get it off before she uses the Aegis Magi.

(Spoilered in case DragonAtma is still reading this topic... I'm still going to be vague.)

I don't think that's right; Venus has O-Damage naturally, which protects against elemental magic, but not other things. I also don't remember her using Aegis ever, either, even though she does give it to you when you win.
#9gxx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2012 4:37:53 PM
Where "elemental" damage is Fire, Ice, Thunder, Poison, and Quake.
#10DragonAtmaPosted 7/17/2012 5:04:49 PM(edited)
Atma is indeed still viewing the topic; thank you for blanking that out.

Using a technique someone else came up with just feels... wrong.

Finally, FFMQ is suddenly quite hard if you try playing it solo (partner petrify code is 7E10A1 40). So far three of the five hardest fights have been sub-bosses (Squidite, Snow Crab, and Jinn), and the other two have been ORDINARY ENEMIES (specifically, the two Level Forest fights you have to beat to reach level 2). 40 max HP and groups of three enemies that do 8 damage/hit while taking two hits to kill is not your friend.

EDIT: For the record, yes, I've beaten FFL2 (it was NOT fun to hunt for the Seven Sword only to find out that everyone was either too weak to do acceptable damage or low enough on agi to only get 1-2 hits); it's only battle techniques I'd rather not hear about.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^