POLL: Favorite Sidekick? (SPOILERS)

#1zoogelioPosted 10/18/2012 7:21:17 AM
Who is your favorite sidekick/5th party member? - Results (16 votes)
Mr. S (Cave of North. He may be a slimeball but he's your teacher! And he mops the floor with enemies)
18.75% (3 votes)
Ki (Ashura's Base. She heals and smites the enemy with Thunder)
12.5% (2 votes)
Mask (Ashura's Tower. International masked man of mystery. Makes every battle Hammer-time)
18.75% (3 votes)
Lynn (damsel in distress. She knows martial arts... but leaves off the damage)
6.25% (1 votes)
Dad (he's got a hat, he's your dad, and he packs an entire arsenal)
12.5% (2 votes)
Hana (Edo World. Lady detective with an array of odd attacks)
0% (0 votes)
Taro (Sho-Gun's Castle. Samurai armed with everything a samurai needs. Can heal too)
25% (4 votes)
Isis (Celestial World. Goddess with all the powers of MAGI)
6.25% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Another poll. Keep in mind there are polls at the FFL1, FFL3, FFA forums.
#2DamageIncPosted 10/19/2012 3:58:52 AM
Mr. S, for shua. He's such a tank when you get him! I also like slimes.
---
OMG YOU CAN UNEQUIP ITEMS
FRABJOUS DAY
#3zoogelio(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2012 7:28:52 AM(edited)
It's nice to see all the games I put polls up for on the front page for Game Boy. Yesterday, there were just 2 games on the active board list.

Let me add: anyone have any memories about playing the game with these sidekicks? I'll give one-
With Mask, like most, I assumed he was Dad hiding his Guardian/Magi-hunting ties. Mask wasn't too versatile; he just swung a Hammer, but where he came in, the monster packs got large and it helped having someone with decent strength be able to tackle some of the enemies. In a number of playthroughs, the whole party got wiped out by Ashura and Mask was the only person left who managed to defeat Ashura. In some way, it seemed fitting as this was the big #2 boss from FFL1 and was a tough fight then, so of course even weakened and put early on, he should almost be out of a young party's league. He had a very limited battle menu but he was able to straight-up tank and outlast, something that might get missed when looking at what battle options each sidekick offers.

What did people think of Lynn and her inability to do any damage?

And did people picture Mask & Dad having the same colored outfits or different? I pictured Mask having a dull orange outfit (kind of camouflage for the desert) while I pictured Dad in a deep green-colored outfit.
#4CranberryPSOPosted 10/19/2012 12:50:43 PM
I have to vote Dad as it seems most meaningful when he joins. You have a personal connection with him, and he's pretty darn helpful while he's with you.

Lynn really was exactly what she was meant to be, a little girl that is lost in a cave. She really was never meant to be a fighter. She suffers most from the short amount of time she's with your party. You have her with you for 1 room, and later for exactly 1 fight, and don't even get a chance to access her inventory before the fight begins the second time.

The first time you get her, you'd have to spend a lot of time in that one room using up her martial arts moves to get her to do any damage. If you decided to grind her martial arts move down to 1 or 2 uses, she'd probably wreck that robot.

But I'm sure this was quite intentional, the designers didn't intend for her to be an actual fighter, just someone for you to escourt home.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#5zoogelio(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2012 7:26:32 PM
^
Yeah. I figured that too, though not when I was a kid playing it originally. It was a kinda cool thing to do.
#6_KazPosted 10/20/2012 9:56:39 AM(edited)
CranberryPSO posted...
The first time you get (Lynn), you'd have to spend a lot of time in that one room using up her martial arts moves to get her to do any damage. If you decided to grind her martial arts move down to 1 or 2 uses, she'd probably wreck that robot.

But you turned from a helpless girl to a seasoned warrior! Then she upgrades her skills! And forgets how to fight!

Waaaaait.

(I'm stymied between Indiana Dad, Detective Hana, and of course old-school Mr.Slime!)

Nice seeing you come over to the FFL side of things BTW.
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#7BareknuckleRooPosted 10/20/2012 11:51:49 AM
The first time you get her, you'd have to spend a lot of time in that one room using up her martial arts moves to get her to do any damage. If you decided to grind her martial arts move down to 1 or 2 uses, she'd probably wreck that robot.

The hilarious thing is pretty much all the guest characters fare better with equipment you give them rather than their starting stuff, due to the massive stats even people like Lynn are given. Toss a spare Rapier or Sabre on Lynn and her enormous natural Agility makes her more than capable of doing damage.

Dad is helpful because he's around for an entire dungeon (a fairly tough one at that) or two if you take him along with you to raid the Nasty Dungeon. He's also essential for beating Apollo in a team of 4 Monsters due to being able to use a Heal Staff, the only problem being you need to use up some of his more useless weaponry to make room for better stuff.

Isis isn't as cool from a practical standpoint because she only has two attacks, and the only one that isn't single-target has only 5 charges. No ability to equip what you want on her basically means you're using the Aegis when you don't need to instantly wipe a group. She's still handy though if you bring plenty of tents along, and if you're rushing to Arsenal or grinding in the final area she does come in real handy.
#8gxxPosted 10/21/2012 9:46:03 PM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
[Dad]'s also essential for beating Apollo in a team of 4 Monsters

Very helpful, but not literally essential ;)

I voted Mr.S, since the start of the game is really the only place that your core party is quite underpowered without an NPC. Meanwhile Mr.S kills everything without breaking a sweat.
#9BareknuckleRooPosted 10/22/2012 4:45:16 AM
Very helpful, but not literally essential ;)

? Are there even any monsters at that point that can survive the explosion damage? Let alone the fact that surviving his hits is incredibly difficult as it is, even if you're throwing out healing constantly. I'm curious as to how it's possible with a group of monsters without Dad, as I had a hard time doing much damage to Apollo, so I ended up buffing Dad's Mana + Agi with the SpeedUp battle items so he almost alwas went first with the Heal Staff and just delayed the fight.
#10gxxPosted 10/23/2012 11:38:53 PM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
Are there even any monsters at that point that can survive the explosion damage?

As far as I can tell the damage from the explosion is random, though usually high, a bit like the 2nd phase of Arsenal's Smasher (hmm...). So, yes. Obviously with 4 monsters you're going to want to wait out that fight rather than trying to kill Apollo, Dad or no Dad.

If you know how, you can easily (with a bit of luck) beat Apollo with two monsters and nothing else, or even with one monster sort-of. With one monster you need to use Heart MAGI on the last round, which brings everyone back to life, but you only need it to heal yourself since you'll be out of uses of Cure. Of course you need a particular monster type to pull this off...