Is it technically possible... (spoilers)?

#1BareknuckleRooPosted 10/20/2012 5:35:53 AM
Considering Isis's stats in the endgame, is it even possible for her to kill Arsenal solo, (assuming the version she faces is the exact same as the one you fight)? I've always wondered about this since the first time I beat the game.

Isis's stats:

HP: 999
Str/Agi/Def/Mana: 99

Masamune Magi
Aegis Magi
Heart Magi
Flare 5
O-All
Recover

Arsenal's initial turrets appear to have 1000 each. I think that thanks to Recover, Isis might manage to get to the weak 2nd stage with only the Masamune, but you might need to expend a Flare or two. The part I'm really wondering about is how would she survive the final phase? Assuming you had some Flare charges left, would one full heal from the Heart Magi be enough to survive, assuming you were lucky to be on the low end of Smasher damage?
#2_KazPosted 10/20/2012 10:52:42 AM
BareknuckleRoo posted...
Considering Isis's stats in the endgame, is it even possible for her to kill Arsenal solo, (assuming the version she faces is the exact same as the one you fight)? I've always wondered about this since the first time I beat the game.

No. </deadpan>

I mean, in the DS remake, they actually show her fighting! And it's not pretty.

The biggest thing in Isis' favor is Recover; she recovers 100 HP per round. The laser turrets do ~200 when all four are active, and you can't attack more than one at a time. Isis takes 400 damage before destroying Cannon1, but recovers 200. Then she takes ~100 damage overall from Cannon2, nothing from Cannon3, and hopefully recovers 100 from Cannon4; current HP is ~800. Now you have the Smasher phases. By pure luck, if Isis receives less than 100 damage each round, she'll be close to 900 HP when Smasher2 starts. At that point she'll be turned to fried chicken unless Smasher2 follows the same pattern Smasher1 did (against a solo).
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#3DragonAtmaPosted 10/20/2012 4:33:01 PM
If she's actually gaining HP when only one cannon remains, then it'd make sense to spam the aegis magi until she's back up to full HP. ;)

Maybe that'll help. Maybe not. But it certainly won't hurt!

And IIRC Smasher2's damage varies wildly -- which would mean luck is necessary.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#4BareknuckleRoo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 9:00:34 AM
That would be more feasable during the second phase as if there's one cannon remaining the other cannons will eventually repair themselves. The second phase's weaker smasher is a physical attack that can be blocked with shields, so that's normally the time to recover HP before the really dangerous third form.
#5DragonAtmaPosted 10/21/2012 9:35:52 AM
Aha; can you tell that it's been a while since I last fought arsenal? XD

Still not as bad as my first game, though; after fighting Haniwa after Haniwa I *finally* got a Seven Sword... only to find out that EVERYONE would either have a horrible hit rate or worked off of single-digit strength. >_<
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#6_KazPosted 10/21/2012 10:43:21 AM
DragonAtma posted...

What IS Smasher2? I don't think anyone here actually found out what kind of attack it was. (Heck, Smasher1 was a mystery -- pretty sure I didn't even know it could be blocked.)

Is Smasher2 like Smasher1 (but unblockable) and hitting the entire party?
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#7BareknuckleRoo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 1:21:30 PM(edited)
Smasher 1 (the one used in the second phase) appears to be a physical attack that's blockable and does not ignore defense (hence why its damage tends to be low). As far as Smasher 2 goes, all I can tell is that Smasher 2 is wildly random. It's been a while since I've messed around with it, but I remember that it's not physical (Tank Cannon will block Smasher 1, not Smasher 2) and that the damage doesn't seem to correlate to anyone's stats, it's like it's just a purely random value is being pulled for the damage and isn't reduced by Def or Mana. I don't think O-All reduces the damage either, but Smasher being a non-elemental attack is to be expected.

http://www.shenafu.com/ffl2/weapon.php

If you look at the list of attacks here, Smasher is listed with a note saying if you use cheats to get it added as a party ability, using it damages all your members which means it must use a non-standard 'special' behaviour routine, so it wouldn't really shock me if it also did non-standard damage calculations.
#8gxxPosted 10/21/2012 10:41:02 PM
In theory one could use GG or PAR codes to make one party member have identical stats and abilities as Isis, and stone the rest of them. Maybe I'll try this sometime... Off-hand, I don't think her damage output with Masamune is going to be enough to get through the first phase. With one character, if you're not taking out a cannon every round it's pretty hard, and if you can't get one every other round it's all but impossible.
#9velosifyPosted 11/3/2012 8:20:01 AM
_Kaz posted...
DragonAtma posted...

What IS Smasher2? I don't think anyone here actually found out what kind of attack it was. (Heck, Smasher1 was a mystery -- pretty sure I didn't even know it could be blocked.)

Is Smasher2 like Smasher1 (but unblockable) and hitting the entire party?

In the DS version, the first Smasher was the Arsenal ramming a character, hence why it could be blocked.. The second one was a wave cannon
---
Why play an Ace when a Two will do?
#10HesaconPosted 11/5/2012 2:37:34 PM
The DS remake's final battle is a whole lot more epic (and difficult).

Also, nobody ever said both Arsenal units were created equally, she could be fighting the weaker of the two.
---
SoV - Enlightened Oracle
http://darkstorm.villanousity.com