Your fave monsters?

#1BareknuckleRooPosted 2/28/2013 10:20:24 PM(edited)
For people who use monsters in their teams, what do you guys usually prefer to use? Go for theme groupings or raw power with stuff like 4 faeries/slimes? I'm particularly interested in knowing people's favourite endgame monsters are, especially since there's more viable late-game choices than the first game (where Hi-Slimes are pretty much the best, hands-down).

SlimeGods are the only monsters to get P-Blast, but their Agi is so low for a top tier monster (only 78) that Dissolve, while otherwise a useful move, tends to miss against Arsenal's massive Agi. Great for Haniwa or general-purpose battles though. Titanias are obviously awesome, but they lack any sort of resistance other than Quake, so without Isis using Aegis, they're vulnerable to whatever hits them.

Kusanagi aren't so useful for much other than taking out Arsenal, but Ghosts are better Touch users with Cure spells to boot (and oddly no direct damage spells, the lack of Ice sort of sucks). Unless you want to rely on Isis Flaring everything that's not an Arsenal or Haniwa, they don't seem to be all that great.

Anubis's Dispel is unique, albeit not particularly useful, but it's at least a Cure user with Recover so it makes for a good healer, with Ice spells to boot. Treant has Recover, Warning and the unique Life ability, but Life has only like 3 uses so it's rather limited as a healer, and only weaker physical attacks makes it useless on offense. Top-tier monsters with Teleport basically are wasting a slot as Isis already has the Pegasus Magi on her.

Of the four elemental beasts from the first game, Gen-Bu isn't very impressive offensively. Gas would be useful if it weren't for it being Poison as it gets resisted by tons of enemies. Cure + Recover + AntiPara are its only real draws. Sei-Ryu on the other hand has Lightning (resisted by few) and Whirl for damage. Byak-Ko and Su-Zaku both have Tornado and Recover (along with Blizzard/Flame) and are generally the best if you had to pick out of the elemental beasts.
#2In2DaBMagePosted 3/3/2013 10:43:49 PM
IIRC, the only really troubling monsters that aren't Haniwa are Paladins, so the key monster is have soemthing that hits hard non-elementally to get past DRAGON SHIELD, so Titania. I personally wuv the Kusanagi monster but lets be honest, Arsenal is a blargh final boss, unless you are using underpowered Humans and Mutants and things.
---
I have no witty quote to put here like any other sig, so heres a picture of the Fonz:
http://lovablelabelsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/fonz1.jpg
#3tlalynet0Posted 3/4/2013 4:46:41 PM
I was thinking of starting this game (I'm a big Saga Fan but havn't played this one yet) and its good to hear there are good endgame monster options. I was thinking of going mutant\robot\monster\monster and it looks like thats viable without too much trouble if there are that many decent endgame monsters. Thx for the thead, I'll keep those guys in mind.
#4BareknuckleRoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 8:42:25 PM
That's actually the party I played last. The mutant and robot did most of the work early game until some decent monsters showed up. The robot falters a bit in the endgame due to having trouble one-shotting enemy groups while still having enough Agi to go before the enemy, but they're always awesome for bosses with the proper items (lots of Str boosting gear + Excalibur or Gungnir for the no-miss, ignore shields damage). Generally speaking, Robots are one of the most powerful classes to have for boss fights if you equip them properly (Selfixes for the Recover effect are nice too). Mutants are more useful overall as they can get access to even more cool stuff (Recover + O-All + P-Blast) in addition to being able to use standard equipment. The sacrifice of a few equipment slots is well worth the natural abilities they can learn.

Monsters are actually a bit weaker early on than in the first game as there's a hard cap on how strong they can get based on what meat is available (in the first SaGa game you can get second-highest tier monsters in the very first world if you eat very specific meats in a very specific order), and there's only two top-tier meat drops as opposed to four in the first game (so in a party of 4 monsters, only 2 can get the top tier rank), but generally there are some very good monsters to be had from midgame onwards.
#5_KazPosted 3/6/2013 12:41:00 AM
Through the normal game, Cobbles, Fairies, Lamias, Watchers, etc. Despite their weaknesses, they provide a useful diversity.

Endgame... Titania is pretty much a must-have because of, oddly enough, Cure (which is why I rate them above the more durable Liches). Lightning and Flare (and some beefy speed) help too.

Mazins are a decent utility creature, though not as good as Ghosts, Beholders, and Slimegods. Kusanagis are one-trick ponies (Critical), but oh what a trick they do. Garudas can do the job; they may not have Recover (like Su-Zaku), but their Beak attacks are wicked strong. (A weird note that, despite having Recover, Su-Zaku has pathetic HP compared to other final-tier monsters).

Rounding out the top of the best -- Fenglungs, Leviathns, Kirins, Dagons and Susano-O are among the many with Thunder/Whirl combos (but little else).

The best secondary monsters? (Because you can only have 2 final-levels.)
Spectors (everything), Rocks (Surprise, Warning, StoneGas), Evil Eyes (Beam, StonGaze, Warning), Gunfish (Squirt!), Scylla, and if you have room, Rocs -- good support attackers with the high-powered Beak, Surprise/Warning, and Tornado just in case.

On the lower end of things are Glooms and Puddings, for their HP-absorb attacks and semi-decent secondary abilities, if one feels desperate. Sadly Sylphs do not make it as they tend to get KO'd before using any of their attacks.

And am I reading that right, or do Squids have a better repertoire than Krakens? At least I know it's true for Garudas, who despite weaker stats, have better attacks than the mythical Nikes despite being the same family.
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#6CakemistressPosted 3/6/2013 3:32:09 AM
All the good ones have already been said! Kusanagi is good, as is Kirin! I guess Lich is okay, too.
#7BareknuckleRoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 8:22:29 PM(edited)
_Kaz posted...
And am I reading that right, or do Squids have a better repertoire than Krakens? At least I know it's true for Garudas, who despite weaker stats, have better attacks than the mythical Nikes despite being the same family.

HP,STR,AGI,MAN,DEF

Squid, 26, 781, 78, 71, 66, 66, Tusk, 8-Legs, Ink, Tie Up, Thunder, Gas, O-Fire

Kraken, 27, 912, 91, 83, 86, 78, Tusk, 8-Legs, Ink, Tie Up, Thunder, Gas, Whirl, O-Fire,

Garuda, 656, 71, 81, 71, 71, Nail, Beak, Thunder, Blind, Tornado, Warning, O-Quake

Nike, 777, 83, 94, 91, 83, Sword, Thunder, Blind, Mirror, Charm, Tornado, Warning, O-Quake

Copied from this FAQ: http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/file/final_fantasy_legend_ii_monster_evolve.txt

Kraken is technically better than Squid, though the only advantage they have is the higher stats + addition of Whirl. Note that the guide accidentally has Kraken's Gas, Whirl and O-Fire listed under Barracud directly below, a minor typo, so that might be why you think Kraken has a worse repertoire?

Nike's Sword should be stronger than Beak is (Str*8 vs Agl*6) but really, Blind is a waste on both lategame, and really Thunder and Tornado are their real attacks. Nikes essentially have nothing really new over Garuda that's noteworthy except better stats.

Interestingly, Kirin (a kind of mythical horned beast similar to a unicorn) aren't in the horse/unicorn family, they're in the chimera family. Unicorns kind of suck as they have no Recover, and no means of causing magical damage whatsoever!

Unicorn, 27, 858, 89, 89, 80, 86, Kick, Horn, Charm, Cure, Heal, Teleport, Warning, O-Change

Kirin, 27, 831, 94, 86, 80, 86, Horn, Thunder, Cure, Tornado, Teleport, Recover, O-Quake, O-Damage

Heal isn't so useful lategame, and if you really want a 'true' healer for a monster, Anubis with Cure + Heal + Recover has better staying power and at least has Ice spells. Better yet, a human/mutant with Heal staves.

Interestingly, Cicada as a second-highest tier fly group seems more useful than the top-tier Mantis. Even with the weakness to Ice, Cicada has Absorb + Thunder whereas Mantis loses Absorb and gets the lame Drain that just saps enemy strength.
#8_KazPosted 3/8/2013 2:01:03 PM(edited)
BareknuckleRoo posted...
Note that the guide accidentally has Kraken's Gas, Whirl and O-Fire listed under Barracud directly below, a minor typo, so that might be why you think Kraken has a worse repertoire?

Oops. That must be it.

Interestingly, Cicada as a second-highest tier fly group seems more useful than the top-tier Mantis. Even with the weakness to Ice, Cicada has Absorb + Thunder whereas Mantis loses Absorb and gets the lame Drain that just saps enemy strength.

I remember now... how many HP-drain attacks are there though? Absorb, Touch... and there was one more, a group-based attack?

(Huh. I just submitted an FAQ... why did the clock read 20:56:20? Are the GameFAQs servers in GMT?)
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#9BareknuckleRoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 3:12:25 PM
The only other draining attacks in FFLII I can think of are a slime's Dissolve and the Vampic sword. There aren't any group HP draining attacks from what I can tell.
#10DCdemonic1Posted 3/8/2013 9:03:02 PM
There's Touch, Dissolve, Absorb, and the Vampric Sword. Dissolve absorbs 33% while the rest absorb 25%, and all are Mana*6 for damage. There might be different rules for each as far as enemies with O-Para and/or undead are concerned, I'd have to check Amuseum's site. I don't remember any of them targeting an enemy group.