SaGa series retrospective Part 1

#11Farel13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 2:44:38 AM
BareknuckleRoo:
Ehhh you saw my video? In it I do explain how the FFL games are part of the SaGa series...
---
7th January 2012 - I defeated 10 Fatestone Saruin! AWESOME!!!
#12BareknuckleRooPosted 2/10/2014 5:50:15 AM
Farel13 posted...
Ehhh you saw my video? In it I do explain how the FFL games are part of the SaGa series...

???

I'm not sure why you're responding to my post since it was meant to address this:

tonicpalin posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNnpxrZtzy0 [a FFMQ video]

somewhat related to FFLs... YAY!

Moving on,

i noes dat... FFL3 is related to mystic quest..

In what meaningful way? Other than Square having made it, and Chihiro Fujioka working on both games (he was only a writer for MQ), they're otherwise considered to be totally different series.
#13Farel13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 10:39:54 AM
Yes but the same squad worked on them, as said in the video, it was the same team, newly founded. Mystic Quest even reused some FFL3/Sa-Ga3 sprites and then... after these 2 games they disbanded and that was that.

Sorry , I just thought that was interesting, because it explains why Romancing Saga got released so quickly after SaGa3 (being developed by the creators of Saga 1 and 2 in the meantime) and also why Saga3 was so different.

Or maybe it's just pointless trivia that I wasted time with. Sorry, I sometimes do that.
---
#14BareknuckleRooPosted 2/11/2014 11:04:02 PM
Farel13 posted...
Yes but the same squad worked on them, as said in the video, it was the same team, newly founded. Mystic Quest even reused some FFL3/Sa-Ga3 sprites and then... after these 2 games they disbanded and that was that.

Sprites were actually being taken from previous Square games before Saga 3 and FFMQ. For instance, Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden (i.e. Final Fantasy Adventure, made a year or so before FFMQ) has recycling all over the place (the main character was a heavily retooled Knight from FF1, Julius is based on FF1's Black Wizard overworld sprite, enemies show up based on Black Mage overworld sprites, etc).

In terms of relation, Mystic Quest and Saga 3 really aren't terribly comparable aside from Saga 3 happening to be less 'unique' (and retooled more to play like a more standard RPG, eschewing the limited item uses in the first two Saga games, the DS remake fixes this) and aimed to be easier. Heck, Mystic Quest barely feels like a standard Final Fantasy game as it is - equipment selection is nonexistent (you just use the best armor you find, weapon selection is pretty much the same aside from the occasional use for weakness, or the claw to hit for status ailments, it doesn't) and zero issues with respect to MP loss (you can literally use seeds to give yourself nigh-infinite uses of White throughout entire dungeons, it's a complete joke).
#15Farel13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 5:48:03 AM
Yeah I heard of it from a review by a friend. Ehhh eitherway I know my videos are unproffesional.
---
#16superdementoPosted 2/25/2014 11:41:47 AM
That was very entertaining! This series is just so precious to me. Such epic little worlds and memorable scenarios. Few games made during the same era in gaming had such cusomisable parties and abilities.

Now with a gameshark I am happily revisiting these titles with my own remixed characters, sandbox playstyle and self imposed challenges. I am considering going to school for game development in order to create more tiny worlds very similar to these miniature masterpieces ^^
#17Farel13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2014 2:56:48 PM
Yeeesh, oh irony, im in college where there's game design... I picked computer graphics, but its there next to me. You want to make miracles, but it's really not that easy. I see my friends make really poor man's games that barely have gameplay in them and that's a very long time effort
---
#18tonicpalinPosted 3/19/2014 7:57:55 AM
the unity engine is suppose to be pretty good now. not sure if it's any better than ol' shockwave's 3D engine though. otherwise i imagine creating a brand new game from the ground up must take years if you do it alone, graphics and everything.

back in school, i used to program simple text programs, a card game and a couple of educational websites... and a simple database. some of those took weeks to complete it with a small project group of 2-4 people. that was like 10 years ago? but we were forced to do it without any professional/commercial toolkit. maybe it's far easier to do it these days, or pay someone to do some of the design work and QC testing?
---
i luv me/ i luv me/ **** barney indie-i
#19Farel13(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 1:25:47 AM
Group projects certainly make things easier, that's how professional games are made. I can sort of claim to wish being a part of something, but... who knows how that would go for me.
---
#20DragonAtmaPosted 3/22/2014 3:10:50 AM
If you want to be in a non-solo project, find someone you'll get along with. Even if the project doesn't turn out well, so what? You made a friend and spent time with them.

Bonus points if you can compensate for their weak point(s) and vice versa.
---
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?