NEOFFL2 comments

#1NeofrodoPosted 11/20/2013 10:17:01 PM
So I've played NEOFFL2 lately and wow.....sure didn't take long for the game to get annoying.

Here are a rundown of things that got me:

1. Monsters do more damage now. And alot of it! I got to the second town in the game and monsters were already 1-shotting me. Making it impossible to survive without either abusing magic or having a robot in the front.

2. HP Growth is ridiculously hard to grow now. Making the monster damage seem even more ridiculous.

3. SPD is ridiculously hard to get in this game since so many SPD weapons were taken out. I find myself having to abuse martial arts in this game which annoys me since I find them abusable.

4. Base stats go up faster in this version...but I honestly dont get enough of them to make a substantial difference sadly.
---
I shall head onward, so dawdleth not! Heareth me, princess of silly peaches? - Luvbi from Super Paper Mario
#2tonicpalinPosted 11/21/2013 10:31:22 AM
i've played till ki's body, unpatched.

however i also started a new game with the NeoFFL patch anyway. haven't faced a HP problem yet 'cause i've only played till ashura's base in this new game. ki makes this part of the game easy . also i messed around with the savegame editor and made one of my monster's a DS 5 "class" so when he ate any meat, he instantly became an endgame monster type with no risk of turning back into a weaker monster level. i might have to edit the savegame again... power overwhelming.

i quite like the idea of taking out AGI/SPD-based weapons. in unpatched, sticking to AGI weapons(and MANA weapons) was the simplest way to build your party. STR weapons forced you to train your AGI to a minimum level per world, and don't seem to be worth the effort until you find a 7-Sword.

oh and rockets/guns/bows would also see more usuage with AGI-weapons taken out. not sure if bows and guns trained AGI. if it's like Frontier, i guess they won't? which means only whips and martial arts train AGI. this new restriction also forces you to have at least 1 robot or monster , if you don't want to grind a lot.

making guns give robot AGI seem to make them mre easier to customise? but he nerfed armor and martial arts bonus for robots... would that make robot enemies weaker too???

wished the shen guy did a patch that fixed the bugs and the low chance of stats growth, WITHOUT all the new weapons and skills i don't care for. he doesn't seem to update the site anymore.
---
i luv me/ i luv me/ **** barney indie-i
#3Neofrodo(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2013 3:36:13 PM
The problem is that all AGL is still a very important stat for playing the game! It affects who gets out there first/how good you can run away/how good your accuracy is.

I was able to build up STR just fine in the original. I just found AGL more useful overall.

Also most of the guns and rockets have a low hit rate. Making them annoying to use. He should fix that problem at least.

Yes he nerfed robots and made monsters stronger. The problem however is that towards endgame the robots nerfed stats make them a real liability. Making not want to use them.

Monsters I never liked all that much. They do more damage in the patch but they tend to stay pretty weak unless you save-abuse boss meat. Which gets rather tedious after awhile.

I'd probably like it better if he took out the nerfs and just made the stats easier to get. HP included. That way robots and monsters wouldnt be a problem.
---
I shall head onward, so dawdleth not! Heareth me, princess of silly peaches? - Luvbi from Super Paper Mario
#4tonicpalinPosted 11/27/2013 12:14:50 PM
bwahhahha... accidentally over abused the trashcan for free heals in apollo's world and got my magi reset to like 2. thank golly for saved states. was playing the unpatched game.

seems like neoffl2 didn't fix the trashcan bug either. annoying. and there's no gameshark codes for giving youfor magi.
http://www.shenafu.com/ffl2/neoffl2log.php
---
#5HesaconPosted 11/29/2013 3:48:51 PM
I thought the neo patch was much better than the original for the simple fact that it was a lot less grindy (one stat at a time vs. any or all in the patch).

Other than that, I didn't notice any great difference.
---
SoV - Enlightened Oracle
http://darkstorm.villanousity.com
#6Neofrodo(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2013 4:50:31 PM
Okay admittedly they DO let you grind stats pretty high in the first two worlds (despite what I originally thought) so the SPD issue isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.

In addition...the change in monster formula makes it to where you dont have to tear your hair out getting the few monsters that excel in magic. I still say there needs to be more group based physical attacks tho.
---
#7tonicpalinPosted 12/3/2013 9:23:20 AM
i thought the base world was terrible for training my mutants, but that's probably 'cause my robot was doing most of the killing. in neoFFL i am finding it much faster to level my mutants, but again i'm depending on my hacked level 5 monster to do most of the killing ,so they still play more of a support role in softening up the large groups of random monsters.

think the neoFFL patch is really best for playing with humans and mutants only. unless you use monster just as bait or meatshields. also noticed HP gain is pretty good in neoFFL, but i think mutants seem to gain HP faster if i use non-stat based weapons like the bows.

trivia: rockets and guns suck compared to bows, except SMG and grp hit weapons. but i guess the sure-hit effect of missiles are more useful later if you don't bother to grind AGI.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_Legend_II_Weapons
---
#8_KazPosted 12/3/2013 11:59:07 PM
Neofrodo posted...
The problem is that all AGL is still a very important stat for playing the game! It affects who gets out there first/how good you can run away/how good your accuracy is.

I was able to build up STR just fine in the original. I just found AGL more useful overall.

Exactly. Because nothing really needed STR except the 7-Sword, XCalibur, and Gungnir. AGI was too useful that it made building STR pointless. More STR-based, never-miss weapons gives STR-building a little more credibility.

Neofrodo posted...
Also most of the guns and rockets have a low hit rate. Making them annoying to use.

That's not the gun's fault, it's because the enemies have higher AGI than you.

Neofrodo posted...
Yes he nerfed robots and made monsters stronger.

Not quite; Robots required a different take, but they could be abused all the same. Monsters did get a nicer boost. I still like the other patch that tweaked monsters even more.

The level up system is still totally luck based; I really envy Seiken Densetsu 3's "roulette wheel" of stat gaining. Sure, it was still luck based, but you could see it happen.
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#9tonicpalinPosted 12/4/2013 10:38:00 AM
i thought all ranged weapons have a fixed hit-rate? i had a high AGI robot keep missing half of it COLT shots like it's suppose to (colt has 65% accuracy), but never miss with an SMG.

NEOFFL's website's weapons listing agrees with me.
http://www.shenafu.com/ffl2/weapon.php

only melee weapons seem to compare your AGI with the AGI of the enemy you're trying to hit. except counter-attack weapons and weapons that never miss.
---
#10tonicpalinPosted 12/5/2013 12:45:56 PM
kind of offtopic but FFL 1 seems to be have a problem with ingame savegames on emulators. after i close my emulator, my savegame seems to disappear! but if i only reset the game/ROM, the savegame can still be found. looks like i have to stick to saved states for FFL1.

related thread i guess. only recommendation i found was stick to saved states or use retroarch. and retroarch can't seem to install on my crappy notebook pc.
http://www.emulationcollective.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=205

pokemon mystery dungeon 1 (GBA game though) also has a ingame save problem but that's related to its non-standard savegame filesize.
---