Question about running from encounters

#168kPosted 4/20/2014 7:56:38 AM
Hello all.

How exactly is run chance calculated? I understand that it is related to agility (i.e. if your party's agility is lower than your enemies' agility, you may get a "cannot run"). But do we know exactly how it is calculated?

For example, let's say I have a 3 Robot 1 Monster party. I encounter a group of three monsters in the first world - Asigaru, Skelton, and Jaguar. Their individual agility ratings are, respectively, 5, 5, and 5. My agility ratings, let's say, are 7, 7, 7, and 2. How is my run rate determined? Is it an average of all of my party members' agility vs the average of the enemy party's agility (5.75 vs 5)? Or is it my highest party members' agility (7) vs the highest enemy's agility (5)?

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate what my party members' base agility stats need to be in each world to determine most likely chances to be able to run from common encounters.
#2QazitoryPosted 4/26/2014 7:01:42 PM
I believe it takes either your highest agility, or the agility of your party leader, and compares it against the agility of the leftmost (living?) monster group. Some monsters have skills that prevent running away, IIRC.
#3Alex JacksonPosted 4/26/2014 10:20:20 PM
It's the total agility of your party members, compared with the total agility of the enemy groups (not individual enemies) plus a random number from 0 to 50. Empty enemy groups count as 0 agility each, but party members who are stunned (0 HP), turned to stone, or absent (i.e. the fifth member when you don't have one) count as 100 agility each. So it's easiest to run from encounters with only 1 type of enemy and hardest to run from groups of 3 types of enemies; having a fifth member makes it harder to run (though only infinitesimally so if your fifth member is Isis, with her 99 agility); and having some of your members down makes it easier to run for each fallen member.
---
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.