Do I have to use a weapon to gain stats from it?

#1Weltall548Posted 5/3/2014 7:24:08 AM
Or can I gain stats just by having it equipped?
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
#2DragonAtmaPosted 5/3/2014 7:40:23 AM
Not only do you have to use it, but you have to use it as your last action. Unfortunately, that means that if you play in solo mode, on top of the trouble of having only one character, you'd be unable to raise natural defense until late in the game.
---
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?
#3Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 8:52:21 AM
F***. Should I stick with agility weapons, since agility affects more than strength?
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
#468kPosted 5/4/2014 6:47:00 AM
Weltall548 posted...
F***. Should I stick with agility weapons, since agility affects more than strength?

Depends on how you want to play. Agility is generally accepted as the strongest stat, since it affects so much and there are some great agility-based items in the game. But, if you don't mind additional time to grind for strength (or if you want to make a STR robot), then you will find there are some great strength-based weapons, as well - especially for the endgame (XCalibr and Gungnir).

Some endgame weapons to consider:

Gungnir: STR-based, high group damage
XCalibr: STR-based, high group damage, infinite uses (even for humans/mutants)
Muramas: STR-based, high single target damage
Sun sword: STR-based, high single target damage
Defend sword: STR-based, high single target damage + blocks direct melee attacks if used
Seven sword: STR-based, highest damage in the game
---
CatClaw: AGI-based, high single target damage
Samurai bow: AGI-based (for Robots), high group damage

Strength-based weapons can offer the highest damage in the game, and you have a lot of different options to pick from. The downside being that you have to have an agility stat worth something, too, to make it worth it. Otherwise, AGI robots are quick and easy to make and are really, really strong throughout the entire game.
#5supersaiyangohanPosted 5/18/2014 3:17:31 PM
The nice thing is that you can use whips to level up your AGI while still having a competent attack. Their damage is based on STR, but they raise AGI. There used to be a good rule of thumb to follow for minimum AGI, but I don't remember now (was it something like 30 by Venus' World?).
---
danceandstomp.com It's back
#6alex_rakPosted 5/29/2014 11:06:28 PM
You have to choose the weapon but you don't have to use it in battle. As in, if you choose a magic book to use, you can gain mana whether or not the character actually did anything with it or not
#7DCdemonic1Posted 5/30/2014 6:17:47 AM
That's not entirely correct. You don't have to use the item but the character must have their turn. If you kill the enemy they're targeting but there's more enemies it'll say the character does nothing (which gives him/her a chance to gain a stat) but if all enemies are killed prior to him/her every getting a chance to act they won't be able to gain a stat.
#8_KazPosted 6/14/2014 11:11:26 PM
Which is why Robots are the superior class. They can use the "static damage" weapons (like guns, bombs, bows) without fear for raising their AGI stat to go first, DEF stat to prevent damage, etc.
---
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!
#9Kuro-chan_101Posted 7/7/2014 9:35:31 AM
_Kaz posted...
Which is why Robots are the superior class. They can use the "static damage" weapons (like guns, bombs, bows) without fear for raising their AGI stat to go first, DEF stat to prevent damage, etc.
The only problem is: They cannot handle magic, and that becomes an issue towards the end of the game. D:
---
~ Kuro-chan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
#10tonicpalinPosted 7/12/2014 8:18:34 AM(edited)
from what i've read from the let's play threads, best character to deal with endgame bosses is a human. train the human up in agility weapons first, then later magic(humans can increase mana faster than mutants), and finally rely on endgame armor to boost his strength to make full use the endgame swords.

that means a lot more grinding though, if you want to create the perfect boss killing/tanking human.
---
i luv me/ i luv me/ **** barney indie-i