Phantasy Star III FAQ & Help Sticky (v 1.11)

#1Ragn_CharranPosted 5/25/2008 7:48:30 PMmessage detail
Welcome to the Phantasy Star III board!

With the recent addition of PSIII to the Wii virtual console, as well as its inclusion on compilation games, a lot of gamers have the opportunity to play this classic for the first time, often without a proper manual.

In this topic I’ll address some of the most common questions we see and answer a few more items that I know can confuse people. While I certainly don’t discourage discussion on the board, I know some of you just want an answer!

I have marked spoilers where applicable, and saved specific detail questions for last.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Healing and Items
Why can’t I heal?
How do I remove poison?
How do I revive dead characters?
How do I save?
The items have weird names. What do they do?
Where can I buy Moon Dew and Star Mist?
Are there any easter eggs or items I can miss permanently?

2. Equipment
Who uses what equipment?
The equipment has weird names. How do I know what is better?
Can I use two weapons, one in each hand?
Should Rhys use a sword or two knives?
Should I use a shield?
What the hell is an emel?
I just gave Wren a Ceram Shot, and suddenly he can attack entire rows! Is this normal?
I’ve noticed some weapons attack more than one enemy. Do any others?
Does any equipment replicate techniques (magic) if used in battle?

3. Techniques (Magic)
The techniques have weird names. What do they do?
Do characters ever learn new techniques?
What are the numbers beside the technique names in the menu screen?
How can I increase my technique power ratings?
What is Technique Distribution?
Melee/Order/Time techniques don’t seem to do much, is this normal?
Why doesn’t Anti/Rever work?
I just learned the Megid/Gratz technique, how do I use it?

4. Battles
What do the menu icons mean?
Why can’t I target some enemies?
Why do shots have such high attack power but only mediocre damage?

5. Navigation
What is up with the world??? The map and monitor make no sense!!!
How do I get to the town that I can see just west of Landen?
How do I enter “blocked” caves?
Why are there little airstrips?
Why are there little docks?
What are the palaces for, and why do I get kicked out even if I have a Layan with me?
Why are there goons blocking the cave/palace?
There’s an entire “circle” in the monitor I never even went to – is this normal?

6. Story/Plot Questions
How closely tied is this game to the rest of the series? Is it a sequel to II and prequel to IV?
Do I need to play the games in order?
How does the “generation” system work?
Who should I marry? What is the best path?

7. Spoiler Questions and Answers
I have arranged the questions chronologically by path, so if you get stuck, find the name of your current leader, then scan through and stop when you see something unfamiliar!
#2Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:49:07 PMmessage detail
1. HEALING AND ITEMS

Why can’t I heal?

You’re poisoned. If you look directly above the HP of the character you’re trying to heal, you’ll see a little P, this indicates you are poisoned. This is visible in both the battle and menu screens. Poison acts differently in PSIII than any other game I’ve played. It does no damage – either in battle or from walking on the map – but it prevents any healing from working on the character.

AND DON’T FEEL BAD, WE SEE THIS QUESTION A LOT!!!

How do I remove poison?

Either visit the nurse (found on the second floor of the long building in towns), use an Antidote, or use the Anti technique. However, be aware that the Anti technique often fails (see 3. Techniques (Magic) below).

Note that because poison does no damage, you can wait until you need to heal to remove the poison. The only danger with this is that if you end up needing to heal in battle, you will need to remove the poison first, which wastes battle actions and may prevent you from healing the person in time.

How do I revive?

Either visit the cleric (found on the first floor of the long building in towns) or use the Rever technique. However, be aware that the Rever technique often fails (see 3. Techniques (Magic) below). Also, an item called Moon Dew revives a dead character, but it is extremely rare.

Note that dead characters can still cast healing techniques in the menu screen! Therefore, if all your healers are dead they can still try to revive themselves with Rever!

How do I save?

Stay at the Inn, which costs 5 meseta per person in your party. Staying at the inn will also heal all the HP and TP of members who are alive and not poisoned.

Note that if you are playing on Virtual Console or on a compilation disk, you will need to shut the game down properly to have the game memory written to the system/card memory.

The items have weird names. What do they do?

Monomate: Restore 30 HP, one person. Does not work on poisoned characters
Dimate: Restore 60 HP, one person. Does not work on poisoned characters
Trimate: Restore all HP, one person. Does not work on poisoned characters
Antidote: Remove poison, one person, guaranteed to work
Escapipe: Warp out of dungeon. Does not work in some later dungeons
Star Mist: Restore 198 HP, all party members. Does not work on poisoned characters
Moon Dew: Restore all HP of one dead party member, guaranteed to work
Monitor: Display world map (Rhys starts with this item, it can be used repeatedly)

Where can I buy Moon Dew and Star Mist?

You can’t. Or rather, you can, but only when you can’t afford it. There is only one shop that sells these two items, and only for a very short time, when their price is far beyond what you earn from battles. Do not bother saving up for them, the few that you will find in chests further on in the game will suffice.

Are there any easter eggs or items I can miss permanently?

No. Though Star Mist and Moon Dew can only be purchased for a short time, some are found in chests late in the game.
#3Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:49:56 PMmessage detail
2. EQUIPMENT

Who uses what equipment?

Most characters have little choice in what equipment they can use. I’ll summarize below:

Orakian Men
Weapon: Sword (can also use knives or needlers, but in my personal opinion they are too weak to be of much use)
Armor: Armor
Helmet: Helm

Orakian Women
Weapon: Knife (can also use needlers, but in my personal opinion they are too weak to be of much use)
Armor: Chest
Helmet: Crown

Layan Men
Weapon: Staff
Armor: Cape
Helmet: Bandanna

Layan Women
Weapon: Slicer
Armor: Robe
Helmet: Bandanna

Ancient
Weapon: Bow
Armor: Fiblira
Helmet: Crown

Combat Cyborg
Weapon: Claw
Armor: Vest
Helmet: Ribbon

Technical Cyborg
Weapon: Shot/Cannon/Vulcan
Armor: Protector
Helmet: Headgear

Not sure what category a person is in?

SPOILER

Orakian Men: Rhys, Ayn, Nial, Sean, Crys, Aron, Adan
Orakian Women: Lena, Sari
Layan Men: Lyle, Ryan
Layan Women: Thea, Kara
Ancients: Laya, Gwyn
Combat Cyborgs: Mieu
Technical Cyborgs: Wren

END SPOILER

The equipment has weird names. How do I know what is better?

The equipment is ranked as follows, starting with the weakest.

Short
“unnamed” (ie, Sword, Claw, Staff)
Hunting
Steel
Ceram (Ceramic)
Laser
Force
Lacon (Laconia)
Royal
Planar

Can I use two weapons, one in each hand?

Yes, as long as they are both one-handed weapons.

Should Rhys use a sword or two knives?

At the very beginning you may want to use two knives, but for 95 – 99% of the game you’ll want to use a sword.

Should I use a shield?

No. Equip two one-handed weapons or a two-handed weapon.

What the hell is an emel?

It’s a shield for women. Don’t use them, equip a second weapon instead.

I just gave Wren a Ceram Shot, and suddenly he can attack entire rows! Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal, and because of this you will probably want to use that weapon for a long time, bypassing higher damage, single target shots. No other Shots have this ability, although the Pulse Vulcan, found late in the game, attacks the entire screen.

I’ve noticed some weapons attack more than one enemy. Do any others?

There are two types of weapons that hit multiple targets, as well as two specific shots:

Needlers: Hits everything on either the left half or right half of the screen (a column). However, they do so little damage that in my personal opinion they are not usually of any use.
Slicers: Hits everything on either the top half or bottom half of the screen (a row).
Ceramic Shot: Hits everything on either the top half or bottom half of the screen (a row).
Pulse Vulcan: Hits all enemies.

Does any equipment replicate techniques (magic) if used in battle?

Yes, though a popular myth says otherwise. Three items can even be used an unlimited number of times OUTSIDE of battle!

If you want a more detailed list on the useful ones:

SPOILER

Force Helm – Res, 25 HP healed
Force Emel – Res, 25 HP healed, works both in and out of battle
Force Shield – Res, 50 HP healed, works both in and out of battle
Force Claw – Rever, works both in and out of battle
Force Gear, Force Ribbon – Zan
Force Sword, Force Crown – Foi
Royal Bow – Fanbi
Steel Knife, Planar Claw – Shu
Force Knife – Forsa
Royal Bandanna – Ner

To understand what the techniques do, see 3. Techniques (Magic) below.

Note that this list is not complete, but it does contain every item I’ve ever actually wanted to use for the technique!

END SPOILER
#4Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:50:31 PMmessage detail
3. TECHNIQUES (MAGIC)

The techniques have weird names. What do they do?

The techniques are bundled into four groups, they are:

Healing Techniques (5 TP per use)
Res: Restores 5 HP per power level, one person. Does not work on poisoned characters
Gires: Restores 2 HP per power level, entire party. Does not work on poisoned characters
Anti: Attempts to remove poison, one person. Often fails
Rever: Attempts to restore all hit points to a single dead character. Often fails, but works on poisoned characters

Melee Techniques (2 TP per use)
Foi: Medium damage to a single enemy
Zan: Low damage to everything on either the top half or bottom half of the screen (a row)
Tsu: Low damage to everything on either the left half or right half of the screen (a column)
Gra: Minimal damage to all enemies

Order Techniques (1 TP per use)
Fanbi: Increase attack damage, one person. Works multiple times in a row
Shu: Increase defense, one person. Only minimal effect from additional uses
Forsa: Attempt to destroy one enemy. Often fails
Nasak: Kill self to restore all HP of other living and poison-free party members. Often fails

Time Techniques (1 TP per use)
Rimit: Improve escape success rate (does not guarantee success). No increased effect from multiple uses
Ner: Improve speed, one person. No increased effect from multiple uses
Deban: Attempt to prevent one enemy from attacking (but can still use techniques). Often fails
S (contains a banned word!): Attempt to prevent one enemy from using techniques (but can still attack). Often fails

Note that only healing techniques can be used outside of battle. Also, dead characters can still use healing techniques in the menu screen, allowing them to still heal others or even try to self-resurrect!

Do characters ever learn new techniques?

No, but the techniques they have grow more powerful as characters level.

What are the numbers beside the technique names in the menu screen?

This is the power level of the technique. The higher the number, the more effective it is.

How can I increase my technique power ratings?

Go to the Technique Distribution shop. You will occasionally get a point when you increase in level as well.

What is Technique Distribution?

Use the Technique Distribution to balance your technique power ratings. Note that strengthening one technique means weakening others.

Melee/Order/Time techniques don’t seem to do much, is this normal?

These techniques are mostly useless, you’re generally better off attacking. Weird challenges (solo runs, etc.) are the only place I’ve ever seen use for them.

Why doesn’t Anti/Rever work?

Anti and Rever have a failure rate of around 50 – 60%, which is decreased by the power level of the technique. Even at high levels, don’t expect them to work more than 75% of the time!

I just learned the Megid/Gratz technique, how do I use it?

You don’t. Seriously, you can’t use them, they are story related and the characters will use them automatically when the time is right.
#5Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:51:03 PMmessage detail
4. BATTLES

What do the menu icons mean?

The battle menu consists of four symbols. They are:

Top Right (four symbols): Enter commands (see below)
Bottom Right (a person): Attempt to escape (often fails)
Bottom Left (the number 1) : Act for one round (characters with no commands input will attack the first enemy available)
Top Left (a wind-up key) : Automatic mode (input commands will be replaced with attacking the next available target after the first round). Press the cancel button if you want to exit automatic mode!

If “Enter Commands” is chosen, you then select who you want to give instructions to, then select what they should do, and finally the target (if applicable).

Top Right (box): Item
Bottom Right (shield): Protect (note that you can choose to have a character protect either him/herself or another character)
Bottom Left (staff): Technique (magic)
Top Left (sword): Attack

Why can’t I target some enemies?

Enemies come in up to four groups, arranged in a 2x2 grid – think two rows (front and back) and two columns (left and right). Front row enemies protect back row enemies that are in the same column. Only shots/cannons/vulcans, bows, slicers, needlers, and techniques can target protected enemies.

Note that the entire front row does not need to be eliminated, once you clear a group, such as front right, you can then attack the back of that column - in this example, back right, even if enemies are still in the front left.

Why do shots have such high attack power but only mediocre damage?

Shots have the unique property of ignoring target defense. Regardless of whether the target has a hard metal shell or soft gooey flesh, the damage is the same. Therefore the damage statistic you see in the equip screen is only a very loose reference.
#6Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:51:31 PMmessage detail
5. NAVIGATION HELP

What is up with the world??? The map and monitor make no sense!!!

All will be revealed in time!

How do I get to the town that I can see just west of Landen?

You don’t, at least not now. A bridge will be made eventually.

How do I enter “blocked” caves?

Some caves need to be unlocked by finding the correct gemstone. Note that some caves will NEVER be unlocked!

Why are there little airstrips?

You can use these later, when you acquire the Aero Parts.

Why are there little docks?

You can use these later, when you acquire the Aqua Parts.

What are the palaces for, and why do I get kicked out even if I have a Layan with me?

Being of Layan descent is not enough, you need a “key” in the form of a special item. Note that there is one “special” palace that you can enter, you’ll know it because there is nowhere else you can enter in that area!

Why are there goons blocking some caves and palaces?

If you don’t know the identity of the person the goons say they are serving, don’t worry, you’ll find out eventually.

There’s an entire “circle” in the monitor I never even went to – is this normal?

Yes – two of the routes never require, or even encourage, you to travel there.
#7Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:52:12 PMmessage detail
6. STORY/PLOT QUESTIONS

How closely tied is this game to the rest of the series? Is it a sequel to II and prequel to IV?

Sort of. The games take place 1000 years apart, and III is more of a side offshoot than true sequel/prequel.

Do I need to play the games in order?

Not really where III is concerned. It gives away one major plot item of II, and a plot twist in III is hinted strongly at in IV, but beyond that it’s fine. If you plan on playing II and IV, however, you should play those two in order (IV is the direct sequel to II).

How does the “generation” system work?

You start the game as Rhys. You’ll undergo a quest, then complete it. You then get to choose one of two women to marry, and your son then goes on his own quest. He’ll eventually get married, and Rhys’ grandson will complete the game. Therefore, there are a total of four paths you can take.

Who should Rhys marry? What is the best path?

Your first marriage choice (Rhys) affects the game far more than the second (Rhys’ son). The two second generation paths are very different, however the story of the third generation is virtually the same for all, though some of the characters and timing of events are different. I’ll give better details below in the SPOILER section.
#8Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:52:37 PMmessage detail
7. !!!SPOILER QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!!!

I have arranged the questions chronologically by path, so if you get stuck, find the name of your current leader, then scan through and stop when you see something unfamiliar!

RHYS

How do I fix the weather? I’m in the tower but I don’t know what to do!

In the tower, just south of where you found Lyle, there is a big black blocky looking obstacle, “talk” to it.

How do I enter Shushoran?

In Agoe you are told monsters come out of Shushoran’s fountain. You should walk into it!

I placed the Moon Stone and Moon Tear in the Control Device, but I don’t see a land bridge to Cille!

The land bridge won’t appear until you walk right up to the northernmost point behind Shushoran.

Whom should Rhys marry?

If you marry Maia, you will father a son named Ayn and become king of Cille. This path is somewhat harder, in both second and third generations, but I personally found it more interesting.

If you marry Lena, you return to Landen and have a son named Nial. This path is easier but I found it a little less enjoyable. It is also shorter.

Despite that opinion, both quests are quite enjoyable, and I suggest you play both.

AYN

How do I enter Lensol castle to save the princess?

You need to head southeast, then north, to the town of Endora, and you’ll find a person who says he managed to open the gate. Return to Lensol and the castle will be open.

How do I enter Landen castle?

The same way Rhys escaped – through the stairs in the (now vacant) Technique Distribution shop.

Whom should Ayn marry?

Thea, no question! The game is pretty much identical either way, but if you marry Thea your son, Sean, gets healing and melee techniques. Marrying Sari gives you Crys, who is slightly stronger physically but only has (useless) time techniques.

NIAL

Where do I find the gemstone to unlock the cave southwest of Satera?

You don’t – the cave isn’t locked!

Where is the Treasure of Aridia?

Now that you have the Sub Parts, walk into the east side of the narrow tip of the river, just south of Hazatak.

Okay, I found the treasure of Mystoke castle. Now what?

The item you found allows you to use Laya’s Palaces. Trust me, you’ll like it!

In Aerone, I’m told to go east on the path, but there’s nothing east of Aerone!

This one can be tricky if you misinterpret what the man says. He literally means east on the path you’re standing on – at the east end of the grey path that runs along the south hedge of the town is an invisible staircase (it just looks like grass).

Whom should Nial marry?

Alair, no question! While the sons (Aron from Alair, Adan from Laya) are virtually identical, one of Adan’s party members is very limited in usefulness due to a glitch. If you must know more details,

EVEN MORE SPOILER!!!

If you marry Alair, Aron will eventually get Laya back in his party. However, if you marry Laya you get her daughter, Gwyn, instead. Due to a glitch Gwyn’s technique power never grows, limiting her use as a healer, and since she’s as physically weak as Laya, she’s pretty much useless!

END EVEN MORE SPOILER
#9Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:54:33 PMmessage detail
7. !!!SPOILER QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!!! (continued)

SEAN/CRYS

Where do I find the gemstone to unlock the cave southwest of Landen?

You don’t – the cave isn’t locked!

Where is the Treasure of Aridia?

Once you have the Sub Parts, walk into the east side of the narrow tip of the river, just south of Hazatak.

Okay, I found the treasure of Mystoke castle. Now what?

The item you found allows you to use Laya’s Palaces. Trust me, you’ll like it!

In Aerone, I’m told to go east on the path, but there’s nothing east of Aerone!

This one can be tricky if you misinterpret what the man says. He literally means east on the path you’re standing on – at the east end of the grey path that runs along the south hedge of the town is an invisible staircase (it just looks like grass).

Who is Lune?

Play Nial’s generation by having Rhys marry Lena, and you’ll find out!

Where is Orakio’s Sword?

Remember back at the start of the game, when Rhys and Mieu went to meet Lyle? The boat captain pointed out a palace under the water.

Where is Miun’s Claw?

Miun is the crazy cyborg walking around north of Hazatak. She really wants to see Orakio again!

Where is Siren’s Shot?

Siren is hiding out on Sage Isle, you’ll find his shot there.

Where is Sage Isle? I can’t find it in Dragonia!

The old man who said it’s in Dragonia is senile. Sage Isle is northeast of Shushoran, in Aquatica.

ARON/ADAN

Where is Orakio’s Sword?

Remember back at the start of the game, when Rhys and Mieu went to meet Lyle? The boat captain pointed out a palace under the water.

Where is Miun’s Claw?

Miun is the crazy cyborg walking around north of Hazatak. She really wants to see Orakio again!

Where is Siren’s Shot?

Siren is hiding out on Sage Isle, you’ll find his shot there.

Who is Siren?

Play Ayn’s generation by having Rhys marry Maia, and you’ll find out!

Where is Sage Isle? I can’t find it in Dragonia!

The old man who said it’s in Dragonia is senile. Sage Isle is northeast of Shushoran, in Aquatica.

OTHER QUESTIONS

Who has the strongest end party?

Aron (from marrying Lena, then Alair). He gets the better version of Kara, and he gets Laya instead of Gwyn. Crys (from marrying Maia, then Sari) is the worst, as he only has two healers in his party and gets stuck with the worse version of Kara.

Why are there two versions of Kara?

Depending on if you took Ayn’s or Nial’s path, Kara is extremely different. Presumably this is because of the influence Nial does/doesn’t have on her father.

How do I go back to Cille?

You don’t. The land bridge stops working after the second generation, and there is no airstrip or dock. It’s empty anyways, just like Shushoran.
#10Ragn_Charran(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2008 7:56:22 PMmessage detail
Credits
Thanks to all who’ve populated this board over the last while, helping me learn more about the game and providing some of the info in this topic. Particular thanks go to:
Mr2 – Codehacker, resident guru and fellow soloist
Hughes Johnson – Code editor extraordinaire, check his excellent PSIII website at http://ps3.huguesjohnson.com/
ArmorVil001 – Has passed a lot of his knowledge about the game to me, and currently working on a patch using Hughes Johnson's Aridia editor.
??? – Whoever it was who informed me of Gwyn’s glitch…sorry I forget your name!
Breakdown777 – thanks for noticing my Gires error in version 1.0 of this sticky!
Jonatan L – for suggesting I list more useful info on the tech-replicating items.

…And anyone else I’m forgetting!

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully your questions have been answered! If you have another question or want to add to the information presented, feel free to add to this topic.

Enjoy the game, it is highly underrated!

---
Read the ToU! Read the stickies! Read the FAQs! Read the help files! Read the manual! Read a book on grammar and spelling!
You forgot to read something!