i feel that..

#1blizzardrgPosted 7/7/2011 8:25:15 AM
SOR 2 is better. Music is much much better. Anybody agree with me?
#2XegethraPosted 7/13/2011 5:16:17 PM
streets of rage 2, is better than 3 by far....however i think bare knuckle 3 is on par with streets of rage 2
---
The rise of Lucifer
Amaranthus for Asmodeus
#3Bronze_StuffPosted 7/17/2011 2:02:16 PM
I feel that SoR3 is far too imbalanced for its own good. The difficulty is all over the place. Like Stage 1 is ridiculously easy and then it's like SHIVA WITH A TON OF LIFEBARS! Give me a break.
#4wales_eggmundoPosted 7/19/2011 2:38:25 PM
I agree. The additional moves are cool, but the music is horrible, the sound effects are glitchy, and they tried to be too 'clever' with it; some of the animations look horrible. I was gutted when I finally played it!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0EfbJtMVHs
#5LutepinPosted 7/26/2011 10:15:09 PM
SOR2 is awesome, but I have to agree the most with Xegethra's comment. I would actually go a tad bit further and say BK3 is the best in the series. First off, SOR2's music is the best, I'm not gonna argue that. But here's what I like about BK3: 1) the difficulty is well done, especially compared to SOR3 - I feel like the US version just butchers a great game. BK3 is what the original makers intended for their audience. 2) This is a big one: seven playable characters- the most in the series. This adds a lot to varied gameplay and replay-ability. I will grant that all three bonus characters have incomplete movesets, but it's still interesting to have the bigger roster, and actually kinda fun to have characters that play differently than the standard ones. 3) In contrast to wales_eggmundo's comment about animations, I love the art and animations in the third game. The characters look more real and hardened, which you kind of expect when they've already saved a city with their "bare knuckles" twice already. Not to detract from SOR2, which has great visuals, but I felt like a lot of the characters were too cartoony, like inflated balloon versions of themselves; I can't help but notice the giant inflated chests on characters like Axel and Shiva. I understand the style they were going for, but I better appreciate the detail of BK3. I think the running animation for Axel in BK3 is one of the best sprite animations of the time. 4) I feel the gameplay speed of BK3 is very fast and responsive, more so than the other games. Again, there's nothing wrong with SOR2's responsiveness, but you notice that hit delays are longer and animations are a bit more sluggish. Some people prefer this, and that's fine, but I love how fast-paced the combat of BK3 is. Getting in quick combos and rolling away from attacks just feel so satisfying, and after an hour or so, I actually feel like I've been fighting in the streets (or at least, my thumbs do). Ah, that's just me though. I know SOR2 is often considered the best, and I know why, but I wanted to offer the perspective of a BK3 fan.
#6Sega9599Posted 8/15/2011 1:14:46 PM
Well, I personally love the music from SOR1, and Sor 2 AND SOR 3. loved em all.

The guys behind SORR remake didn't feel this way, as they have hardly any SOR 3 tunes in the game. But that's cool, you can't really remake them, they're too good as it is.

I even loved the 8 bit GG SOR 2 soundtrack.
---
There should be more sequels to arcade games. I'm waiting for The Simpsons 2.
#7LutepinPosted 8/16/2011 1:37:12 PM
Sorry for my long posts, guys - here's another. Actually Sega9599, pretty much every song from SoR3 is in SoRR. I went through the sound test of SoR3 and matched up all the songs to a track in SoRR.

The numbers are the number given in the BGM test of the respective game, SoR3 is on the left and SoRR is on the right:

3 - Remake
------------------
00 60 - Cycle I
01 67 - Spinning Machine
02 03 - Fuze
04 36 - Dance Club
05 46 - Boss
06 55 - Percussion
07 30 - Bulldozer
08 27 - Random Cross
09 54 - Happy Paradise
10 57 - Inga Rasen
11 53 - Shinobi Reverse
12 56 - Tunnelway
13 50 - Moon
14 37 - Crazy Train (with artistic liberties taken)
15 59 - Fateful Meeting
16 42 - Robo X
17 03 - Fuze (again)
18 35 - Restaurant (altered into an asian-restaurant song)
19 51 - The Poets II
20 70 - The Poets I
21 ?? - ["The End?" song, I think]
22 28 - Dub Slash
23 51 - The Poets II (again)
24 61 - Cycle II
25 65 - Stage Clear
26 69 - Kamadecoco
27 67 - Spinning Machine (again)
28 66 - Game Over
35 ?? - [I just don't know/completely forget]

Skipped SoR3 numbers are just sound effects, from what I could tell. The question marks mean I could not find that song in SoRR - but from what I've heard, those missing songs aren't exactly the major hits you wanna hear. I can't find the end credits song in the SoR3 BGM test, but iirc, it's just a rendition of the SoR main theme, of which there are multiple versions in SoRR. One thing that does bug me in SoRR though is that they rarely use the correct boss song for SoR3 bosses, often just using the generic SoR or SoR2 boss song.
#8Sega9599Posted 8/19/2011 4:58:15 PM(edited)
Lutepin posted...
Sorry for my long posts, guys - here's another. Actually Sega9599, pretty much every song from SoR3 is in SoRR. I went through the sound test of SoR3 and matched up all the songs to a track in SoRR.

The numbers are the number given in the BGM test of the respective game, SoR3 is on the left and SoRR is on the right:

3 - Remake
------------------
00 60 - Cycle I
01 67 - Spinning Machine
02 03 - Fuze
04 36 - Dance Club
05 46 - Boss
06 55 - Percussion
07 30 - Bulldozer
08 27 - Random Cross
09 54 - Happy Paradise
10 57 - Inga Rasen
11 53 - Shinobi Reverse
12 56 - Tunnelway
13 50 - Moon
14 37 - Crazy Train (with artistic liberties taken)
15 59 - Fateful Meeting
16 42 - Robo X
17 03 - Fuze (again)
18 35 - Restaurant (altered into an asian-restaurant song)
19 51 - The Poets II
20 70 - The Poets I
21 ?? - ["The End?" song, I think]
22 28 - Dub Slash
23 51 - The Poets II (again)
24 61 - Cycle II
25 65 - Stage Clear
26 69 - Kamadecoco
27 67 - Spinning Machine (again)
28 66 - Game Over
35 ?? - [I just don't know/completely forget]

Skipped SoR3 numbers are just sound effects, from what I could tell. The question marks mean I could not find that song in SoRR - but from what I've heard, those missing songs aren't exactly the major hits you wanna hear. I can't find the end credits song in the SoR3 BGM test, but iirc, it's just a rendition of the SoR main theme, of which there are multiple versions in SoRR. One thing that does bug me in SoRR though is that they rarely use the correct boss song for SoR3 bosses, often just using the generic SoR or SoR2 boss song.

Oh wow! did I just not notice them?

actually after going back over them, I think the originals are slightly better. For example I think I prefer the crazy way the beat speeds up in the original fuze. Plus the original has such a crazy base. So hard. And the remix just....doesnt'.

Edit: Beat Ambience. Wow. Now that wasn't just generic, that had a pretty mean tune to it. I liked it anyway. the remake turns it into something its not, some sort of China town music. Anyway I'm not hating on the remake, its really good. just think the original music is better. thats all.
---

---
There should be more sequels to arcade games. I'm waiting for The Simpsons 2.
#9Sega9599Posted 8/19/2011 4:54:28 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10LutepinPosted 8/20/2011 10:53:33 AM
Yeah, a lot of the originals are really good, and some remakes of them just don't match up. For Beat Ambience, I agree, I don't like the China town addition; for Spinning Machine, I like the overall sound, but I wish they didn't add all of the extra notes to the main buzzy-bass part. For me, the better remakes are a balance of how faithfully the song was remade, versus the quality and depth that the original couldn't produce. I really like "Boss" in the remake - it's very accurate to the original, but has just enough freshness to feel like a new experience. Unfortunately, there's only one boss fight in the remake that plays it (the Mona/Lisa fight at the Blue Island Bar). There are some others that I think are really well done: Tunnelway, The Poets I, Fateful Meeting, and Kamadecoco to name a few.