GNG Ask a question here--

#1bruplex(Moderator)Posted 6/5/2007 11:09:58 PMmessage detail
The old one got purged...so if you have a GNG question, ask it here!
---
"Wish: To end all the killing in the world. Hobbies: Hunting and fishing." -- California Angel Bryan Harvey
#2roguehamsterPosted 6/17/2007 5:57:10 PMmessage detail
When i play on my NES sometimes its light flashes on and off. What can i do to fix this?
---
"My dad always said why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" - Caboose
Pokemon Diamond FC - 4768 4287 8759
#3bruplex(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 6/22/2007 2:39:26 PMmessage detail
That's the classic NES syndrome caused by bent or dirty connections on your 72-pin connector. It's plugged into the circuit board of your NES and can be relatively easily replaced. MCM electronics has replacement connectors for about 6 bucks. You can also try to bend the connectors in with a pencil eraser to get a more snug fit on the cartridge. The folks over at the NES board have some good tips as well.
---

"Wish: To end all the killing in the world. Hobbies: Hunting and fishing." -- California Angel Bryan Harvey
#4NES_kingPosted 7/1/2007 9:31:54 AMmessage detail
I have one.
Is there a trend on bosses in this game?
---
NES rules!
*Hops on a speed bike and whizzes thru the course*
#5bruplex(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 7/1/2007 9:12:41 PMmessage detail
A trend on bosses? I'm not sure what that even means... care to elaborate?
---
#6brideckPosted 7/3/2007 10:51:55 PMmessage detail
I don't know if I should count myself lucky, but I have yet to encounter the "poison ladder" in level 6. I just started playing this pretty seriously on Monday, and I've made it to the twin Lucifers three times so far... but have choked each time.

Does it only happen if you're not wielding the cross, I wonder? I always pick it up during the Dragon fight because it makes killing the first Big Man really easy. If you shoot to the right from the very top of the ladder, the cross peters out just before hitting the Red Devil so you don't even have to worry about accidentally hitting him. I have more trouble with those pesky burritos in this level than anything else... always appearing at the worst time during the big fight before the end.

But now that I know about the armor in level 6 thanks to your walkthrough, life should be easier... I often get hit by the Unicorn, Dragon, or a burrito so an extra hit point will be nice.

---
"Your are on the way to the Super Bowl!!"
#7brideckPosted 7/4/2007 3:35:48 PMmessage detail
I knew that extra armor in level 6 would help. After using it, I was able to breeze through in no time. I even got better in the rest of the levels, too. It only took one continue to get to level 5. Boy, do I hate the first half of that one! Little guys spawning all over the place.

The second time through the game took awhile, but I beat that, too. The biggest challenges are that the Big Men move way faster this time around. I had to change up the order in the house to be able to consistently get through it. Then I wasted a lot of time on level 3 because I got stuck in the second half with fire, that makes it pretty hard. Somehow I had accidentally picked up a javelin (losing my sword) previous to that, meaning I couldn't hurt the boss.

All of level 5 was hard this time around: the first half for the reason I stated above, the second half because the Big Men are so fast. Level 6 was nasty as well... my javelin + cross strategy against the Dragon was difficult to pull off because it was so much faster. Good thing the bosses in 5, 6, & 7 aren't tough at all.

It's good to know that this game is beatable. I am by no means a professional game player, and have beaten very little for the NES other than the original SMB. If I can do it, then anybody can. I didn't even ever resort to the "elbow trick" for getting rid of Red Devils. Fighting them is a lot of fun, and not all that hard. The second time through they shoot twice as much and are generally more erratic, but it's doable. I hope to continue to work on this game, but for now...

On to Gradius!

---
"Your are on the way to the Super Bowl!!"
#8bruplex(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 7/5/2007 8:34:21 AMmessage detail
Hey Brid-- well done :) GNG is a very beatable game (as is Gradius by the way, with a little practice). In GNG, I always prefer the dagger for nearly all fights, which is why I clear the Red Demons on Level 6 before returning to gather the cross. I'm glad my guide helped ya!
---
#9tanukisutsuPosted 7/8/2007 5:36:58 AMmessage detail
Haha... it's funny you guys are talking about g&g and Gradius... I just got those games for my famicom not that long ago.

Are you guys playing these games on an actual system, or are you playing the ROM versions? (I hope you aren't save stating!)

Ghost 'N Goblins is SO hard... I swear, I can't get past level 2... I either run out of time, or I die fighting the big guys during the ladder part. Is there a trick to this part that makes it easier? (I've seen the speed run videos... those aren't helping)
#10bruplex(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 7/8/2007 8:35:53 AMmessage detail
Tanu--I wrote my FAQ for GNG originally in 1999 (I was playing GNG when the year 2000 rolled in!)--long before I had an emulator! I've played through it on the NES several times; I refined my FAQ in 2005 using an emulator to try out strategies--

---