Basic Question

#1BangaaPridePosted 9/26/2008 3:54:10 PM
I may be doing a "Let Play" guide for this game on youtube and I just wanted to ask:

What are the basic stat and weapons/armor differences between the 8 classes?
I know some are better with magic than with weapons and some favor ranged weapons more but I need to know the more specific differences like between Mage and Druid, Ranger and Bard, Paladin and Fighter...stuff like that. Any input would welcomed.
---
"In Zamoksva Kingdom, princess rescues *you*!!"
#2Storm ShadowPosted 9/26/2008 5:11:00 PM
*very, VERY slight spoilers*

Mage: The Mage has higher MP and INT and begins in Moonglow, which has a Reagent shop and you can learn a spell or two there, along with gaining an easy-to-find rune and stone in the area. She has limited equipment, though, with her best armor being Cloth and very few weapons to choose from.

Druid: The Druid has higher STR, more equipment options (can equip most Bow-type weapons and substantially better armor), and begins in isolated Yew, where you'll face different monsters than you will near the other towns. Her MP is second-highest.

Bard: The Bard is the only character who begins the game with a projectile weapon, though his choice of armor is limited. He's decent with magic and just slighty behind the Ranger in MP growth, and he begins in Britain, the central town and castle of the game, where you can also easily find a rune. His armor choices are limited, however, and he does NOT begin the game with a melee weapon.

Ranger: The Ranger begins in isolated Skara Brae (even more isolated than Yew, as it's an island), which features the only other Reagent shop in a character's hometown. He is pretty good with magic, earning more MP than any of the other melee classes (if I remember correctly), and his melee and ranged weapons are limited only by one choice from each. However, his best armor is that of the Druid's, so while he deals hefty damage on the front line, he'll also take more.

Paladin: The Paladin begins with two stellar pieces of equipment (Sword and Chainmail) and starts in Trinsic, which boasts good armor and weapons in the shops, where there is also an easy-to-find rune in the area. He is also decent with magic, being about on par with the Bard in MP growth. His equipment is essentially unlimited except for that which is Mage-and-Druid exclusive.

Fighter: The Fighter starts in Jhelom, which is another isolated island town. He begins the game with an Axe and Leather armor, and Jhelom's shops are a good place to outfit him. He cannot use magic, but he is not limited in equipment and can use a weapon that no other character in the game can wield.

That's a good place to start your project, at least.

---
Why do ruffled chips taste different then regular chips? --Blackjack946
They're ribbed for your pleasure. --Clutch
#3DOS_GamerPosted 9/27/2008 11:56:26 AM
One of the more overlooked aspects of character creation is that how you answer the gypsy's questions also affects your stats. All 3 stats begin at a base of 15 and are increased as such*

Valor: +3 Strength
Honesty: +3 Intelligence
Compassion: +3 Dexterity
Spirituality: +1 All
Justice: +1 Dexterity & Intelligence
Honor: +1 Strength & Intelligence
Sacrifice: +1 Strength & Dexterity
Humility: no bonus

This means the lowly Shepherd will usually have lower starting stats than other classes and the Ranger will generally be more well-rounded. Anyway, try to keep this in mind so you can try to make up for starting stat deficiencies (example: trying to select Compassion as often as possible when creating a Paladin). I've confirmed this in both the IBM and NES versions but I don't recall if the NES version mixes the order of the questions.

*: Note that the stat screen in the NES version transposes Dex & Int; that is your Dex stat on that screen is your Int stat and vice versa.
---
"I am very confident this fight can go either way." - Ken Shamrock
#4Storm ShadowPosted 9/27/2008 5:07:15 PM
Really? For as long as I've played this game, I never even guessed about the stat boosts from answering the questions.

Pony Canyon really outdid themselves in adapting the game to what the NES could handle.

---
Why do ruffled chips taste different then regular chips? --Blackjack946
They're ribbed for your pleasure. --Clutch
#5Black_CrusherPosted 9/30/2008 10:32:58 AM
So for every question you answer there's a possible stat increase, or just an increase for the final card you draw? (ex. Fighter = +3 STR). If it's every question that's pretty awesome.

Also,

"In Zamoksva Kingdom, princess rescues *you*!!"

Hah! I'm playing DQIV DS now and that's a pretty good sig. Thankfully I'm up to Chapter 3 and the Irish accents aren't nearly as awful as the Scottish and Russian.

---
DXF Games official website- http://Del_duio.sitesled.com/
Hasslevania, Neil Peart Mission the Camera Eye, Necropolis Rising!
#6DOS_GamerPosted 10/3/2008 1:39:49 PM
Yep, it's every question you answer that affects your stats.

Most people (even some under performing hint book writers) think it only determines your class but I started wondering when you had the same questions for Ultimas 5 & 6 but there was no class to determine (you're simply The Avatar). Part 5 is a little different in that the three 3 pointers (Com, Val, Hon) have been nerfed to 2 point increases. There are no questions for 7 & 8 and only the truly insane would want to play Ultima 9.
---
"I am very confident this fight can go either way." - Ken Shamrock
#7Black_CrusherPosted 10/4/2008 7:44:58 AM
Haha, I stopped after 6 really. Tried part 7 off a SNES emul.. um, the real cartridge and didn't like it much. Too bad because 6 is great fun. I played part 5 for awhile but back on the Apple II computer. The NES one is too slow so I can't even stand trying it for more than 10 minutes.

---
DXF Games official website- http://Del_duio.sitesled.com/
Hasslevania, Neil Peart Mission the Camera Eye, Necropolis Rising!