Strange glitch?

#1Hiroshi_MishimaPosted 4/24/2009 12:15:48 AM
I realize this may be due to my using an emulator, but for whatever reason, every time I try to play through Dragon View, I encounter a bizarre glitch somewhere in the game. It isn't always in the same spot, apparently, so I'd thought I had gotten lucky with this copy I found.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. As soon as I go to enter the room with Dragon Lords in the Ortah Temple, the screen gets garbled, I hear one of those like.. funky deep laughs like the Cave Men/Fighter Mage enemies and the thing promptly crashes. I've never been able to beat this awesome game, and it looks like I may never be able to.

Also, no, I haven't used codes or anything of that sort on this. I don't think they're necessary for a fun game (that thankfully isn't too challenging) like this... Drakkhen I, however, was another story.

Anyways, yeah, if anyone know of a way get past this weird glitch or knows what causes it (could it be related to my emulator?), I'd love to know. In the mean time, I guess this is another classic I'll never be able to finish for whatever reason.
#2TiconderaPosted 4/24/2009 6:40:08 PM
Hi Hiroshi,

Can't help out with your emulation problems, cause I'm all cartridge.
Drakken is a really weird game, and farming good armor when you find a location is great.

Dragonview is a great game, and really fun, hope you can work out the issue to fix it.

Might not get to many responses here, it's not a lively board.. *shakes fist*
#3TiconderaPosted 4/24/2009 7:23:04 PM
Found this on another thread, hope it helps!
---------
ok, i played through the game a second time in 2 days (my game froze @ the first dragons) and it seems snes9x can't play that part of the game... if you plan on playing with an emulator use the latest zsnes and it works fine, beat the game with everything and while the dragon spot did look like it was gonna crash (both temples) it went through it
---------
#4Harie0Posted 4/25/2009 6:20:14 AM
I use the Zsnes and never experienced it.
---
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=510
#5Hiroshi_Mishima(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2009 7:05:53 PM
Yeah, I stumbled upon something similar to what you said in your second post, Ticondera. It appears that for whatever reason, something about meeting the Dragon Lords at the end of the Ortah Temple causes most emulators to crash. I switched to ZSNES (which I keep around because having multiple emulators is useful sometimes) and managed to get through the dungeon no problem.

Also, about Drakkhen.. my problem wasn't with the armour and stuff. It was with the ridiculously stupid AI. I spent 5 minutes fighting one enemy in Hordkhen's castle with my level 7 Fighter with the best armour/weapons I could get and he did NOTHING but slowly lose his equipment. I did the same thing with my same level Priestess and she killed it in one or two hits with a Fireball. ...which was pretty much the way they handled EVERY encounter when I had my mages turned on for magic. They (usually the Priestess) would launch one or two spells and the monster blew up and no one got any EXP. So I ultimately said screw it and just played it however. (lol)

Kinda cheap, I know, but it was that or wonder forever how the game ended.

And thanks for the help, by the way. I actually found the solution to the problem in Dragon View by accident while looking for something thing else, which was kinda weird. >_> So I really appreciate the help because I know it was depressing the heck outta me that I couldn't finish this awesome game.
#6Hiroshi_Mishima(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2009 7:08:35 PM
Oh, and the really weird thing about that glitch... it doesn't happen in the Sektra Temple during the second Dragon Lords encounter. So whatever actually causes it, I have no idea, because I haven't experienced it again with snes9x since. Although maybe it has something to do with the bizarre number of mistakes in the writing during your conversation in the Ortah Temple... who knows.
#7TiconderaPosted 4/29/2009 5:25:36 PM
Heck, I'm on the cartridge and for some reason, if i don't go downstairs and save after the first "getting your arse handed to you" by Giza (it's not a fight) , and just enter the room where the high priest runs out of, my game crashes. Well black screen and just music.

The main monster i had an issue with in drakken was the "star" beast that comes down when you walk in a certain direction.