What were your first thoughts on Earthbound?

#1Zenithian LegendPosted 4/25/2014 5:22:49 PM
Assuming you saw the game in a magazine, a friend playing it, or a copy at the store and looked at the box.

For me, I first read about the game in Nintendo Power. I was a huge RPG fan as a kid (still am), and was so stubborn and entrenched in the cliche medieval fantasy-style of games like Dragon Warrior (Quest), Shining Force, Final Fantasy and really any Squaresoft game for the SNES, that I completely dismissed Earthbound when it first came out. I thought it looked 'stupid' and repeatedly passed on the numerous copies available at Best Buy that were sold in the 'big box' with the strategy guide, for roughly $15 at one point, IIRC. Oh what a mistake! Not too long after you couldn't easily find the game in stores, my friend got me to play his copy, and my paradigm about what made an RPG was broken. Still wish I'd got my own copy, but fortunately legal sites like snesfun.com allow me to still play this game. However, there's just something about owning a copy of a classic game that I like.
---
Stop the bleeding
#2masterbarfPosted 4/25/2014 6:07:34 PM
As a kid I bought games based completely on the box art. So I guess I liked the image. I had the guide that came with the game. I used to try to draw the 3-d character models placed throughout the book. I don't have the guide anymore. For some reason the only things I have from games those days are the cartridges.
#3LvthnPosted 4/25/2014 6:59:36 PM
I heard about it from NP and the coverage in there was what sold me on the game. Everyone remembers how "bad" the "this game stinks" was but nobody remembers how brilliant the travel brochure/public service warning layout for the spread really was.

It spoke to all my old childhood fantasies, going out on an adventure with your friends, having super powers, seeing weird and amazing things, and the settings was something relatable. What made the marketing great was that it was an accurate image of the game, and the game delivered in spades.
#4BLAHMASTERPosted 4/27/2014 6:51:38 PM
My first thoughts were: "Sweet! It's only $6! I can afford an RPG for my SNES!"
Followed by: "The music in this game is awesome!"
---
It doesn't have to make sense.
#5VidgmchtrPosted 4/28/2014 12:31:23 AM
I'd never heard of the game until Smash Bros.

The SNES generation was fairly unknown to me, as my brother and I basically skipped the console. We had it, but all we had was the pack-in game, Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World.

Before that, we had a respectable NES collection, and after that, we decided to build up our N64 collection.

When I learned what RPGs were, I was kind of on the fence about the genre. My first experience was Pokémon Blue, which wasn't bad. The turns (among a handful of other elements of the genre) bothered me though. Learning that most RPGs had turn-based fighting turned me off from the genre, with a handful of exceptions.

Earthbound became one of these exceptions when I downloaded it on the VC. Loved the game.
#6EverDownwardPosted 4/30/2014 9:58:14 PM
Bizarre, not cool, not for me. No swords? No guns? Nah, no thanks.

^When I was maybe 8 or 9 (currently 26)
---
http://i.imgur.com/DKNJbBm.jpg
#7Starman_SuperPosted 5/1/2014 4:40:20 AM
no sword for you!!!
#8LotusoftheLeafPosted 5/1/2014 6:42:41 AM
I only ever rented EarthBound as a kid. I've always liked giant robots and I thought the boxart was of Ness piloting some giant mech. Even though it turned out to be nothing like what I was expecting I still liked the game. Knowing nothing about RPGs and not bothering to read the guide, I couldn't get past Onett because I didn't realize I had to grind a bit first to level up, but I still enjoyed playing it. :P
#9AjogamerPosted 5/1/2014 9:06:03 AM(edited)
I first heard of the game in a one of the many Top 100/200 games lists they did (I don't remember which, but I think SNES was still the newest Nintendo console at the time), which had Earthbound at a decent rank (somewhere around 30-50, I think).

It really didn't show or say much on the game though; just a small blurb of text and a single screenshot of the final area, similar to this one:

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5d29654cf3bf1aacb946364917fe34db?convert_to_webp=true

I was also in my "RPG = good game" phase at the time though, so even though I knew practically nothing about the game, I immediately sought out to buy it, and eventually found a used, cartridge-only copy (so I didn't experience it with the players guide, unfortunately). Even though I knew next to nothing about the game when I first started it up, I ended up enjoying it from the get-go. I felt like it really clicked with me from the very moment I turned it on: I remember loving the movie poster-like title screen, the quirkiness of the naming screen song (and how much personality the sprites had as you were naming them), the initial weirdness of getting a fly as one of my first allies, and how well-written and consistently entertaining the dialogue was, especially in comparison to other SNES games, among various other things. I ended up playing the game pretty consistently until I completed it.
#10masterbarfPosted 5/2/2014 1:15:16 AM
EverDownward posted...
Bizarre, not cool, not for me. No swords? No guns? Nah, no thanks.

^When I was maybe 8 or 9 (currently 26)

I hear at 40 people replace fantasizing about guns and swords with fantasizing about grenades and lasers. Pew pew.