Legend of zelda: an rpg or not?

#1josh202020Posted 4/6/2009 11:44:59 AM
Had an argument with a friend last night as to wether these games were actually RPG's or not. His argument was that they weren't as there was no obvious levelling up system. I wholeheartdly disagreed and found this point majorly short sighted, what do other people think?
#2anotherVeganPosted 4/6/2009 12:30:19 PM
It is in a subset of an RPG, known as the "Action-RPG". You are still one character playing a role in an epic story, but the combat is done in real-time.
---
SSBB: 0731-4494-0607
Name: "Dana" (East Coast - FL)
#3ChrisTurkPosted 4/6/2009 1:34:46 PM
Under that definition, basically any non sport or puzzle game is an RPG.

Zelda is not an RPG. A case could be made for the Adventures of Link, but the series as a whole is not an RPG.
---
"The only thing that's been confirmed is that it's unfortunate your mother did not have any spare coat hangers."~ trancer1
#4HyperSiIencePosted 4/6/2009 4:52:26 PM
I consider them action RPGs sometimes and adventure games sometimes.
---
http://hypersilence.net
http://hypersilence.net/images/signature.jpg
#5VeghEstherPosted 4/6/2009 5:21:42 PM
Even though the VGA's (Video Game Awards) show counts this series as a RPG I only count Zelda 2 on NES (GBA remake) as the ONLY one that is a RPG.
#6PraetorJosephPosted 4/7/2009 12:54:18 PM
"Action-adventure." All of them.
---
"Act well your part; there all the honor lies."
#7ACDCrules1Posted 4/7/2009 7:46:04 PM
"Under that definition, basically any non sport or puzzle game is an RPG."

To answer your question, yes. The very definition of a RPG is role playing game. In the Legend of Zelda, you assume the role of link. That makes it an RPG.

Why are people afraid to admit that The Legend of Zelda is a RPG? Are you afraid that saying you like an RPG will make you uncool? You can increase your max health, you can increase your magic, find better weapons, armours, and shields, and you assume the role of an individual on a quest. How is it not an RPG?

Admitting to yourself that The Legend of Zelda is an RPG isn't gonna make you look bad. People are not going to say that you are a sissy because you happen to like an RPG, so why are people so adamant about their unfounded belief that The Legend of Zelda isn't an RPG?
---
There are no atheists in foxholes.
#8ChrisTurkPosted 4/7/2009 9:41:20 PM
Why are people afraid to admit that The Legend of Zelda is a RPG? Are you afraid that saying you like an RPG will make you uncool? You can increase your max health, you can increase your magic, find better weapons, armours, and shields, and you assume the role of an individual on a quest. How is it not an RPG?

Pretty much all I play is RPGs. And it's been that way since I was about 5.

This is not an RPG.
---
"The only thing that's been confirmed is that it's unfortunate your mother did not have any spare coat hangers."~ trancer1
#9Nimai1985Posted 4/8/2009 3:19:28 AM

Considering Zelda an (action) RPG would make the genre a lot broader. I think God of War is never once considered an RPG, maybe an action game with RPG elements, even though it has every thing you have just mentioned.

Personally, I don't care whether Zelda is called an RPG or not (if it were for me, I'd abolish the whole genre, as it makes less and less sense as years pass), but if you asked me, I'd reply with "action/adventure", and reply with "How is Zelda not an action/adventure game?" to anyone who says it's not.
---
"I know how hard it is being a leader. I've been one. I always forget who has what materia." - Cid Highwind
#10VeghEstherPosted 4/8/2009 9:45:22 AM
I usually consider RPG's games where party members get exp to level up hence the only Zelda game that fits this description is Zelda 2 only.