I can't believe Koei did that

#1SemblancePosted 9/12/2004 12:10:45 PMmessage detail
In every other Koei game of this type that I can think of offhand, they do not do this most cruel act to you. When you lose your main character/chief/king/leader/whatever, you typically get to pick their successor if they have one and keep playing as that person.

But in Liberty or Death, there is no such thing, and the computer takes control of the side.

So much for my two player game. Thanks, Koei.
---
All hail Semblance. Semblance is life.
#2kawaiifanPosted 9/12/2004 11:57:25 PMmessage detail
You haven't played Nobunaga's Ambition 1, I see. ^.^;;

It has the same problem ... but making it worse is that your character can die of old age, and you get 4 turns per province per year (in Liberty or Death you get 24 turns per province per year), and some of the leaders are already over 60 years old at the beginning of the game.
#3Semblance(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2004 4:57:19 PMmessage detail
I like it in Genghis Khan 2 where they don't even have to be related to you in order to succeed you and yet still let you play on as that side.

Is there no way to wrest control from the computer during a two player game? This just doesn't sit well with me at all.

---
#4kawaiifanPosted 9/17/2004 11:35:40 PMmessage detail
I like it in Genghis Khan 2 where they don't even have to be related to you in order to succeed you and yet still let you play on as that side.

I like Genghis Khan 2 as well ^.^
but there I believe your ruler's successor must be his son. (Or perhaps his brother?)
Other generals, even if married to your ruler's daughter, cannot inherit the kingdom.

Perhaps you may have been thinking of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series? From what I can remember, in the Romance series any remaining general in that kingdom can become the next ruler.

Is there no way to wrest control from the computer during a two player game? This just doesn't sit well with me at all.

I'm afraid I don't know of any. Sorry ;.;
#5Semblance(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2004 11:35:41 AMmessage detail
Hmm, I could have sworn anyone could take your ruler's place. I certainly remember that being the case for the computer (*Capture*, *Capture*, *Capture,* "Okay, how many kids could his grandson have had?")

I guess during two-player games, I'll just have to make some silly house rule where you can't attack the other guy's CIC.

"No dude, you can't attack there, that's where my commander is. Wait until next turn when I move him out of the way."
"But.. you could prepare for my attack now."
"Listen, do you want to play a two-player game, or a one-player game?"

:P
---
#6kawaiifanPosted 10/6/2004 11:26:38 PMmessage detail
Hmm, I could have sworn anyone could take your ruler's place. I certainly remember that being the case for the computer (*Capture*, *Capture*, *Capture,* "Okay, how many kids could his grandson have had?")

True; but that seems to be a special advantage that the game gives the computer empires. In Genghis Khan 2, they attack one another so frequently and recklessly that if they were held to the same succession standards as the player is, they would seldom be able to grow any larger than three provinces.

On the other hand, I remember one time in Genghis Khan 1 for NES, trapping and defeating the leader of a large opposing empire ... at which point that empire shattered, with every one of its provinces becoming independent separately.
#7Semblance(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2004 12:22:22 PMmessage detail
Ouch. And I thought civil wars in Civilization 2 were bad..

---
#8kawaiifanPosted 11/7/2004 12:23:20 AMmessage detail
*nods* ^.^
The game was much easier from that point on.
#9kawaiifanPosted 12/8/2004 3:37:05 AMmessage detail
*cries* ;.;
I found a bug in ZSNES, where the game locks up at the beginning of my turn on 1 January 1777. Re-loading the save state and/or re-loading the .srm makes no difference, no matter how many times it is done, nor does changing ZSNES's options, nor does using the very latest release of ZSNES.

The cartridge works fine.
As does another emulator (NLKE), so it's not a bad dump.
I tried using NLKE to get past that troublesome point, saving, and then using ZSNES to continue from that save point ... but it simply locks up again at the beginning of the very next turn, 16 January 1777.

I guess I could just use NLKE to play the whole thing from this point on; but it seems that NLKE neither supports my preferred key mappings, nor has a fast-forward key, so doing so would be frustrating ;.;

*wonders whether to mention this bug to the ZSNES team, and if so where....*
#10Semblance(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2004 1:09:26 PMmessage detail
Hmm, are you using the WIP ZSNES or the old one?

On a somewhat related topic to the earlier discussion, have you played Crusader Kings for the PC? I was wondering what you thought of it if you had. I'm still hesitant to purchase it, but the concept is very intriguing to say the least.

---