Questions

#1rizz1010Posted 9/22/2009 11:52:55 AM
Is there any way to 'create' an artillery unit?

What are the biggest contributors to a great unit on the battlefield:
Officer leadership?
Officer tactics?
Arms?
Training?
Cannon equipped vs no cannon?

---
Last Games Conquered: New Horizons (SNES), Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Current Games I'm Playing: Fire Emblem 3 (SNES), Liberty or Death (SNES), Banjo Tooie (N64)
#2kawaiifanPosted 9/25/2009 4:17:32 AM
Hi rizz1010 *waves hello* ^.^/

By 'artillery' unit, do you mean a unit with engineer capability (such as building bridges), or simply a unit that can fire cannons?
The latter can be made by building cannons for, or transferring them to, your desired regiment.
The former is probably impossible to create, sorry. Of course, you can wait for an engineer unit to arrive normally, or bribe some of the enemy's ones over to your side.

As for a great unit on the battlefield, I would weigh Tactics, arms, and training about equally.
An officer's Tactical rating cannot be improved; arms can be improved with money; and training can be improved with drills (which take body points, which take time).

I haven't noticed an effect from Leadership. It's important if you're drafting soldiers -- the higher the Leadership of the officer doing the drafting, the less money that you will have to spend to hire a set number of soldiers -- so, let your highest Leadership officer do the drafting for everyone in the district. Still, I instead generally re-form regiments if they've lost more than a few soldiers, since this costs only (the use of the regiment for a certain amount of) time, instead of money.

Likewise, I haven't noticed an effect from Discipline. Discipline does matter when you're training the unit; if its current training level is less than the officer's Discipline, it will increase greatly with each training session, but will not exceed the Discipline number. If current training level is equal to or greater than Discipline, it will raise very slowly.

It's possible that Leadership and Discipline do help in combat, and that since good officers tend to have high numbers in all three, average officers have average numbers in all three, and poor officers have low numbers in all three, I'm misreading this as part of the effect of Tactics instead. I don't know, sorry.

Cannons certainly help, but in different ways. They let you strike at a (short) distance, and bombard without immediate retaliation. On the other hand, they're expensive, burn a lot of powder, and don't help much (if at all) if your unit is the one being attacked.

I don't have the manual for Liberty or Death, sorry ;.;
so all of this is just what I've gathered from playing the game and reading the board.

Good luck, and have fun ^.^

---
kawaiifan misses her gfaqs9 ;.;
#3rizz1010(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2009 7:20:11 AM
Hello once again, kawaiifan. I'll point out right away that the scanned instructions are available at replacementdocs.com. I love that site! In fact, I've found scanned instructions for RTK2, RTK3, and New Horizons there. So helpful!

My main use of artillery units has been weakening enemy generals with high stats. With actual artillery units, you can do this from 2 squares away, and take no damage. If you give a cannon to any ordinary group, like infantry, they won't have the ability to fire 2 squares away. I haven't tested whether an ordinary unit will get an attack bonus when they are equipped with a cannon. You might know this answer - if you use an infantry unit equipped with a cannon and attack adjacently, will your losses by 0?

I'm a little further into the game, and new artillery units have arrived. So, no need to create artillery units after all.

I was fairly sure that higher leadership improved my attacks. This is going to be one of my top priorities - figuring out if it's officer leadership, tactics, or both that are factors in attacks.

---
Last Games Conquered: New Horizons (SNES), Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Current Games I'm Playing: Fire Emblem 3 (SNES), Liberty or Death (SNES), Banjo Tooie (N64)
#4kawaiifanPosted 10/16/2009 2:53:54 AM
Hello once again, kawaiifan.

*huggles and smiles* Thank you <(^.^<)

You might know this answer - if you use an infantry unit equipped with a cannon and attack adjacently, will your losses by 0?

I normally just use the engineer units as my artillery, instead of giving cannons to the infantry units, so I don't know, sorry ;.;
Money that would have gone for building additional cannons, I can instead spend on loyalty (gazettes), or arms, or the occasional drafting to top up a regiment that has lost a few soldiers (re-forming instead if they've lost more than a few).

---
#5kawaiifanPosted 11/6/2009 5:01:15 AM
Hope everything's going OK ^.^

---
#6rizz1010(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2009 7:34:43 AM
All is well. The British were defeated down in the Georgia area. Actually, Liberty or Death has already moved out of my signature. :)

You'll see a new game in the sig though, and I will likely see you on that board (RTK3).

---
Last Games Conquered: Soul Blazer, Mega Man X (SNES), Banjo Tooie (N64)
Current Games I'm Playing: Fire Emblem 3, RTK3 (SNES), Turok 2 (N64)