Unit compatibility for better stats.

#1gasimakosPosted 3/29/2012 7:08:22 AM
Do any of you guys mess around with unit compatibility in groups? i have been really nitpicking compatibility on my most recent playthrough and it augments the units' stats considerably in some cases. like, dragoons as leaders are almost exclusively compatible with the third tier dragon classes (dragon - red dragon - salamander - flare brass). pair them with any other types of units, and those units will get a slight stat decrease. just a thought.
---
Gaia gear - best armor in the game.
#2DragonAtmaPosted 3/29/2012 8:51:22 AM
No, because compatibilities are so small. Specifically, they range from +4 to -3... period. Yes, that means that your 200-str Tiamat will be anywhere from 204 to 197 Str depending on compatibility, which is pretty much trivial.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#3gasimakos(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 10:24:30 AM
DragonAtma posted...
No, because compatibilities are so small. Specifically, they range from +4 to -3... period. Yes, that means that your 200-str Tiamat will be anywhere from 204 to 197 Str depending on compatibility, which is pretty much trivial.

no way, 204 is totally broken compared to 197
---
#4gasimakos(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 10:26:17 AM
all kidding aside, it makes a little bit of a difference in the early game, for what it's worth.

i can see why the game designers didn't make the differences more pronounced, though. figuring out the compatibility is nearly impossible.
---
#5MoliviousPosted 3/30/2012 5:35:50 AM
i do such for a unit's theme. like how dragon tamers/dragoons(tho dragoons are supposed to be anti-dragons, seeing how they are in Ogre titles) should obviously be with dragons, demons with undead dragons, Vampires with werewolves, and beastmasters with beasts. im less concerned for the stats itself, since - as mentioned, they are barely recognizable. It's just fun to have units of different variety.

as for the stats.. i guess it was a poor calculation for the designers.. they would've been better. Especially since the AI have many units with compatibility.
---
"Interest is a nice contribution. I would feel foolish if I was only doing this for myself but I probably would anyway." ~ FinnShore
#6gasimakos(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2012 6:53:44 AM
Molivious posted...
i do such for a unit's theme. like how dragon tamers/dragoons(tho dragoons are supposed to be anti-dragons, seeing how they are in Ogre titles) should obviously be with dragons, demons with undead dragons, Vampires with werewolves, and beastmasters with beasts. im less concerned for the stats itself, since - as mentioned, they are barely recognizable. It's just fun to have units of different variety.

as for the stats.. i guess it was a poor calculation for the designers.. they would've been better. Especially since the AI have many units with compatibility.

yeah the compatibility stat adjustments are really minor and they're really difficult to work with if you don't know exactly which characters are compatible with others. there's nothing intuitive about it at all. even with a compatibility list, it's still difficult to figure out. what were they thinking??
---
#7MoliviousPosted 3/30/2012 9:49:37 AM(edited)
edit: nvm found them
---
"Interest is a nice contribution. I would feel foolish if I was only doing this for myself but I probably would anyway." ~ FinShore
#8Deathlike2Posted 4/2/2012 8:31:19 AM
When it comes to class compatibility, it is a waste of time to invest in them generally speaking.

The "best leaders" are generally ones with the best stats because they are high enough to ignore class compatibility changes. Of course at the start, this is not possible, so you try to match up most Fighters with Valkyries or though some simple, yet favorable combos.

In the event that you care about this stuff, there are a few good universal leaders (that aren't born from a special character)...

1) Some Wizard class unit as leader - These are easy to build because you would normally stack them with others of its kind (3 Wizards+Gryphon comes to mind). Any non-wizard will generally get some sort of INT bonus. The major negative is that you are assured that there will be some STR+AGI losses, but beasts will primarily appreciate as they tend to have a very weak INT stat.

2) Nixies- Expensive leaders and a one Ice hit all attack isn't that great. However, she has the best stats of all leaders so you are guaranteed that some stats will benefit. Just beware of Lightning though...

3) Vampyre - This is the closest thing to a Nixie, but only half as useful (time-wise). Of course this requires some sort of item to even benefit from this... Strangely this unit has a similar class compatibility with Dragons, so it's the next best thing to having a Dragon Master. Of course, this unit is an exceptional tank and Charm is somewhat useful to slower units...

4) Muse (or Valkyries) - Easy to build, strong vs most creatures (outside of dragons). Muses have very similar class compatibility to Beast Masters... which is kind of the opposite of Nixies. They are pretty close to Nixies in stat growth, so they can actually benefit some creatures... like the Wyrm and Wyvern (they have the same AGI growth).

5) Ninja Master - Toughest to build and the Ninja class may be difficult to survive with for a little bit, but this unit is closer to the middle in terms of class compatibility. Unfortunately, it doesn't always excel in everything (it does have the jack of all trades mentality) but if you work hard with them, they can be pretty great. Speed as a leader might be disappointing though... it does take a while to get there.